• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Your Pathfinder campaigns - running Adventure Paths, published adventures, or homebrew?

What does the majority of your Pathfinder game consist of?

• Adventure Path

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • Published Adventures

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Homebrew Adventures

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • Not playing Pathfinder

Votes: 14 11.1%

NewJeffCT

First Post
Xanesha was airborne and invisible when we first encountered her. We couldn't reach her - no flanking was possible. She simply picked us off one by one with scorching rays and magic missiles, IIRC. She also petrified one of us (I think). She became visible, but had 6 mirror images. We were only a party of 4 and did not have dispel magic.

Interesting - my group had been together for a while, so they know that their first move is to hit enemies with Dispel Magic(s). So, as written there was the illusionary demon attacking, but Xanesha then appeared to stab at them from beyond their reach in the air (the Impaler spear they gave her did a lot more damage and had a better "to hit" than her claw attack, even though the claw did more wisdom damage). But, the first move of the casters was to dispel the fly and the haste, and then in round 2, she got hit with Ray of Enfeeblement and then Web, so was weakened by the Ray, but managed to make her Reflex save, though was stuck in the middle of the web,but not grappled by it. However, it's now difficult terrain to get out of and the PCs outside the web had cover vs her. Once she got out, they swarmed all over her (it was a 35x35 room, so not huge) and the rogue got in his big hit (crit, plus sneak attack)... the PC that got hit by the Medusa mask petrify made his save, but I did have her bull rush one PC over the ledge. (The PC made a dex check on the way down to grab hold of a jutting stone and only take half damage, though he was effectively out of the combat and only had a few hit points left as is.). Of course, once Xanesha was surrounded, she can't really use her spells without provoking an AoO, so had to poke away with her spear each round.

Our 3.5E game before that the casters on both sides would often spend the first 3-4 rounds of every combat just casting dispels at each other while the warriors were dealing out tons of damage.

Starfox

Hero
Pathfinder is the "Paizo Game" to me - when I run adventures and adventure paths from paizo, I see Pathfinder as a good option because I don't have to re-hash things so much.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Interesting - my group had been together for a while, so they know that their first move is to hit enemies with Dispel Magic(s). So, as written there was the illusionary demon attacking, but Xanesha then appeared to stab at them from beyond their reach in the air (the Impaler spear they gave her did a lot more damage and had a better "to hit" than her claw attack, even though the claw did more wisdom damage). But, the first move of the casters was to dispel the fly and the haste, and then in round 2, she got hit with Ray of Enfeeblement and then Web, so was weakened by the Ray, but managed to make her Reflex save, though was stuck in the middle of the web,but not grappled by it. However, it's now difficult terrain to get out of and the PCs outside the web had cover vs her. Once she got out, they swarmed all over her (it was a 35x35 room, so not huge) and the rogue got in his big hit (crit, plus sneak attack)... the PC that got hit by the Medusa mask petrify made his save, but I did have her bull rush one PC over the ledge. (The PC made a dex check on the way down to grab hold of a jutting stone and only take half damage, though he was effectively out of the combat and only had a few hit points left as is.). Of course, once Xanesha was surrounded, she can't really use her spells without provoking an AoO, so had to poke away with her spear each round.

Our 3.5E game before that the casters on both sides would often spend the first 3-4 rounds of every combat just casting dispels at each other while the warriors were dealing out tons of damage.

We also couldn't overcome her mirror image and 29 AC. Of course, with 6 PCs, yeah, it would have been a bit easier. :) Web would have indeed been quite helpful.

ggeilman

First Post
As an ::ahem:: older DM, I find the adventure paths to be enjoyable to run. They leave enough room to modify and personalize but a lot of the more difficult work of encounter building and plotting has been taken care of.

I guess that makes me older that dirt:eek: at 56! My players are of all ages and average in their mid-late 30's. Seriously, I don't have an issue with AP, just I have gotten used to a more 1E style of DMing that Necromancer/FGG designs their modules for. I have enough settings now that I have acquired over the years that I don't need one designed for Paizo.

NewJeffCT

First Post
We also couldn't overcome her mirror image and 29 AC. Of course, with 6 PCs, yeah, it would have been a bit easier. :) Web would have indeed been quite helpful.

True, with most of her "buffs" dispelled, plus flanking, they were able to hit her pretty often. The ray of enfeeblement hitting her for like 6 strength damage also hurt Xanesha's attacks, damage and kept her in the web an additional round.= (she made her initial reflex save to not be trapped, but was still in the middle of the web, so missed her check next round and was grappled 5 feet from escape. So, not only did she have a -6 STR penalty, she now had a -4 DEX penalty for being grappled for a round.

Additionally, I guess I don't play mirror image properly, or by the book, as the module said she casts "invisibility, mirror image..." and other spells. However, I had never played that you could be invisible and cast mirror image of your invisible self. You'd basically be mirroring invisible images, which would be pretty useless. So, I had it that she had not cast mirror image in advance.

Andrew Ridenour

First Post
It depends on the mood I'm in, but for the most part, I like Homebrew games with any system I'm playing, as I feel (as a GM) more involved with whats going on in the game. However, I must admit, there is a lot of work that has to go into a Homebrew game (since I like playing in my own, homegrown setting) The time spent creating a world, and everything in it, it can be quite daunting.

Devgil

First Post
So, this is quite interesting really. And I'll admit, whilst I've been intrigued by the APs and other published adventures, I've always had more of a gift for running within homebrew worlds. I think my main reason for that is that it lets me play with the world as I'd like, and it lets me make the story that I'd like to tell with the players. I mean, ok, I'm sure the PF APs are great and all. But (and call me weird for this if you want) a lot of my not-quite-dislike for them I think comes down to the fact that they're not my story. That isn't to say they're not good, and that they don't change with different groups and DMs, but they're not the same as the satisfaction you get when you entrance your players to the point that they start building lore over sections of the world that you haven't fully clarified (and not minding if you shoot it down, or modify it to suit the reality).

Maybe I've just been crazily lucky with homebrew settings, although I guess that could be down to the fact that several people have told me off for routinely creating my campaign settings from something worryingly similar to literary crack. As a note, every single game I've ever run has been set in various homegrown settings.

In all honesty though, I think it's something to do with...not storytelling talent, that's unfair. But maybe more...I dunno. Creativity is unfair to use and I know it, but it seems like the only word that really captures what I'm trying to say... :/

Andrew Ridenour

First Post
The hardest part, but also the funnest part of creating homebrew worlds, is remembering where everything is. For a person like me, who sucks at drawing maps, I'm creating my world as the players uncover it, which is exciting for me, as I get to have that surge of emotion showing off something that I created, as well as have that emotion the player experiences as they go to a certain place for the first time.

But then, when players backtrack for some reason, I have to look back at my old notes (which I NEVER toss out... *NEVER TOSS OUT*) and try to remember what was going on when they left, and where certain landmarks are located, and who everyone is... and that's not to say I take bad notes or anything, because I take splendid notes (or at least, I like to think I do...) its just the fact that I also leave somethings in my head for later, because I'm not comfortable writing it down, afraid that once I do, I won't like it, or I'll want to change it some way that it doesn't need to be.

Arkhandus

First Post
I run 2 Pathfinder games, one an AP and the other homebrew.......and I can't really vote for one or the other as more significant. Since I've lacked a face-to-face gaming group for at least a few years now, I run and play entirely over OpenRPG (a virtual tabletop program). Although I do a fair amount of work preparing material for my homebrew Pathfinder setting/campaign (which started first), I have to spend roughly the same amount of time or only slightly less on preparations for running the Jade Regent Adventure Path in my other PF campaign (using Golarion for that one of course).

Not only do I have to read through much of each module beforehand (and the JR Player's Guide, and the assorted info in each AP module regarding whatever area it takes place in), but I also have to copy maps over into MS Paint and save them, then put them online somewhere so I can use them in OpenRPG (and have to tweak the map size in most cases to make it suitable as a battlemap in the program), and edit the maps to remove the stupid marks for "secret doors" and such that Paizo inexplicably includes there when it's already noted inside the module text, along with trying to fiddle with the maps in OpenRPG to try and place the "fog of war" over them and save the maps that way and then modify them during play as the PCs explore.......... Beyond that map-work, which is only mildly less bothersome (at best) than just making up my own maps on the spot for homebrewed campaigns, I *ALSO* have to type up and prepare numerous Nodes (text-files and macros and other things that show up as little links on the side of the OpenRPG window) with the stats and action macros for monsters and NPCs in the module, and other blocks of text from the module that I may have to send to the chat-window during play. Most of which is tedious and slow, in part because recent versions of Adobe Reader no longer allow me to copy and paste multiple lines of text at once from a PDF into a text file.

So..........no, I don't really find the Pathfinder Adventure Paths to be particularly expedient or easy to run compared to just making stuff up myself as I go along or when I have the time to prepare each week. In fact the random bits of info that the modules exclude can be frustrating at times, making me wonder what this or that non-Core item is supposed to be or whether or not it's important for later modules in the series, or whether or not I'm supposed add any loot for the dire corbies and other monsters or NPCs that the group runs into since they (often as not) don't even have a "Treasure" line in their stat-blocks within the module nor at the end of the encounter section there. I have absolutely no idea what time of the year or what year at all the Jade Regent AP is supposed to start in, so I didn't know if I should describe the weather or climate around Sandpoint and elsewhere as warm or cold, rainy or snowy, etc. I have no idea if it even matters later in the AP. Also, several monsters in the Adventure Path have different language listings or extra abilities or missing abilities compared to their entries in the Pathfinder Bestiaries, which is confusing.

And various NPCs or treasures or events in the AP have very specific trigger conditions or discovery conditions or the like, that don't seem likely to occur during play unless the PCs are very methodical or do a lot of wandering before looking for their main goal in any given adventure (and, contrary to one another, the PCs would have do be both methodical and random/indirect, or rather unlucky/incompetent as well as very perceptive and persuasive, in order to find, trigger, befriend, discover, or figure out various situations, events, NPCs, treasures, and such within the same module). And again, I have no idea if any of the NPCs, treasures, or other things in the module that the PCs missed or skipped will actually be important later in the Adventure Path. Short of, y'know, buying the whole thing and reading the whole thing in detail before running any of it, and before knowing if my group would even stick around for the whole Adventure Path or if the campaign would sputter and die in a TPK long before I ever got to use most of the modules after buying them. So I've only got the first 2 modules for now, and am running the 2nd currently. Each module seems to have some important bits of info scattered around it rather than placed where that info ought to be, and I have to spend a lot of time calculating XP and treasure for most encounters and such (plus there are parts where the modules just say to add some treasure worth around X amount of GP, whereas most parts don't even give that much of a guideline).

Oh, and I had to play the monsters/NPCs as kinda tactically stupid/non-evil to avoid killing half the PCs in the module's few big fights or boss fights. Kikonu only avoided slaying one or two PCs because as-written he was supposed to disappear and go rant in another room as soon as any PC injured him or after most of his minions in the encounter dropped or just after a few rounds of combat. Then when he assaulted the group with a larger gang of minions at the forefront, I had to have the NPCs avoid finishing off any PC they dropped or else half the party would've been dead and would have needed to employ the caravan's NPCs (Shalelu, Sandru, and Koya at least) to help them finish finding what they needed in the castle and return to camp with it. A few other fights were harrowing briefly but not as much. The fiendish decapus (I forget its name) nearly killed a PC or two, but his poor attempt to trick PCs in the first place was hindered by the fact that the only language he knew besides Abyssal or whatever was Varisian (which none of the PCs spoke, they had Common and assorted racial languages). He couldn't get close enough to Poison or Smite or grapple anyone with his tentacles, because the party's paladin and rogue immediately started carving him up once he got into melee range, and he died quickly after that.

Besides, printed modules generally fail to provide the degree of detail on any given NPC, item, location, or region that's needed sometimes when actually running the game. When I need to know what the Rusty Dragon serves and what kind of lodgings are available, or how the local sheriff is supposed to behave (and what he's supposed to know) when the PCs question him about recent events or nearby threats, or what the roads are like in and outside of Sandpoint, or what the surrounding countryside is supposed to look like as the party travels there, or what other goblin tribes live in or near Brinestump Marsh and what kind of loot the goblins there should have (or what kind of things would be out-of-place there), or what exactly Shalelu Andosana is supposed to be famous for or what she knows about the surrounding region, or what the HECK the route from Sandpoint to Brinewall is supposed to look like or where the heck any villages/towns/etc. along that route would be or what kind of trade goods they'd have (the PCs ended up wondering if any of the trade goods they picked up earlier included food or similar supplies, as they ran out of caravan provisions by the time they reached Brinewall, simply because they didn't think of restocking provisions at every one of the few villages they passed through and DID NOT KNOW HOW FAR THE NEXT VILLAGE WOULD BE (because neither did I from the module, which doesn't even have a map of the region between Sandpoint and Brinewall, one of the players had to find a map of Varisia online and send me the link, which had very little detail and only showed major cities/landmarks and major geographical features) or that Brinewall would be so far from any inhabited towns once they got there), or what the surrounding wilderness around Brinewall is supposed to be like and how the caravan is supposed to survive out there in the Nolands for days and days while the PCs make trips into Brinewall Castle and keep coming back to camp when mostly depleted of daily resources because they don't want to risk running into a big fight while low on resources, or whether or not the major NPCs are supposed to help out or stay uninvolved while the PCs do adventuring stuff (and whether or not those major NPCs are ever supposed to level-up, and whether or not it matters for later parts of the AP if they do)............

Well, the module just does not say, and I'm left to rummage through PDFs and junk trying to find answers and then just make stuff up as I go along. Also, apparently I'm supposed to shell out hundreds of bucks on Pathfinder supplements and setting books just to learn enough about Golarion and its peoples/cultures/history to have any idea how I should roleplay the behavior and responses of the NPCs in the modules, because they don't bother to give even a cursory explanation of the important points regarding each relevant area/culture/whatever in the modules. So I end up barely roleplaying any of the NPC interactions that the group has, and fast-forward much of that stuff, leaving the game more combat-heavy and less roleplay-oriented because I don't wanna totally eff up the behavior of the NPCs for players who know more about the Golarion setting than I do. Which sucks.

I've played briefly in a few other Pathfinder APs before from the other side of the DM's screen, but also found the info terribly, terribly scarce when creating my character for each of those games and having to guess blindly when figuring out my PC's background, how he should behave, or how he should talk.

So I still prefer running homebrew settings and homebrew campaigns within them, where I can make up my own info and maps without worrying about it clashing with some publisher's existing material or later parts of the published module/AP.

Last edited:

Remove ads