Your Ultimate Homebrew

cougent

First Post
Hobo said:
Well, if it's only got one thing that I like, I'd hardly call it my ultimate homebrew...

I've got what I consider my ultimate homebrew. It's got dozens of things that are different from the core assumptions.
I have to agree completely with the above, but in the spirit of the OP I will say:

Intertwined plot lines.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
dmccoy1693 said:
If there must be ONE THING in that you have to your ultimate homebrew setting, what must it be?
Supernatural evil.

The form it takes does not really matter - demons, undead, evil magic - but, if we're talking fantasy of my own design, there's got to be a "heart of horror" to it.

The Human Target

Adventurer
My one thing would probably be that it doesn't attempt to recreate (even vaguely) any period of Earth's history.

So you can have dwarves and airships and swords and cool trenchcoats and equal rights for women and absolutely no hose wearing peasants.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Has to have deep, far-reaching social implications of the different traditions of magic -- divine (the church, gods, spirits, nature worship) vs. arcane (the science of magic, or forbidden lore from demons, devils) vs. psionic (inner power, training, mind over body), and how that flows into political structures, guilds, economics, notions of right and wrong, that sort of thing.

The Levitator

First Post
EricNoah said:
Has to have deep, far-reaching social implications of the different traditions of magic -- divine (the church, gods, spirits, nature worship) vs. arcane (the science of magic, or forbidden lore from demons, devils) vs. psionic (inner power, training, mind over body), and how that flows into political structures, guilds, economics, notions of right and wrong, that sort of thing.

Close to my heart, and.......wait a minute.......close to my home! I found it pretty interesting to be nodding my head along to your post when I suddenly realized that you live a half hour away from me! A fellow cheese-head! Well, no wonder I liked your post so much! ;)

I'm a magician in my "real job", so for me, magic has to be riskier than Core, more rare than Core, but more powerful and rewarding than Core. I want magic to not only be special, but make sense in the grand scheme of the world. I've been very turned on to Conan D20 lately, particularly they way magic is structured in that world. While it's lacking in divine and psionic magic, the overall theme and role magic plays true to my idea of magic as an awesome power, not some simple skill anyone can pick up. I love magic's potential to both create and destroy, and this is just what I try and emulate in my homebrew. Awesome power with awesome consequences! :)

Remove ads