Your Ultimate Homebrew

arscott

First Post
Fey that can be taken seriously

Of course, I don't think I'd actually have an "Ultimate Homebrew setting". I tend to devise settings based on the story needs of a particular campaign I plan to run. So if the campaign doesn't call for a fey presence, then it won't be included.

So I guess a better answer for the various homebrew settings I might create is "Thematic Consistency"

BluWolf

Explorer
A true seperation of the Divine and the mortal. GodS need to work in mysterious ways. No direct line to (insert any gods name here) to understand what should be done.

Its far more interesting to me that the predations of the mortal mind wield the dogmatic club.

Goblyns Hoard

First Post
Frukathka said:
Arcane magics that have sociological impact. And it is in my homebrew.

Examples:
Ring Gates used for expedient postal purposes
Scry Stones (homebrew magic item) used for monitoring certain places

and other items that mimic Victorian era technology

Do you have any more of this written up somewhere that I could take a peek at? Looking to do something similar in a new homebrew I'm considering and if you have somewhere to start that would be most inspirational...

Cheers

Chaldfont

First Post
The ultimate homebrew should have plenty of chocolate malt.

Oh, wait, you don't mean beer?

My ultimate homebrew is one that someone else made and gave to me for free. I'd rather spend my time playing than creating a campaign setting where 90% of it will go unused.

dmccoy1693 said:
Ok, well what's the starting point. Your core, first idea that makes you first go, "Yea, I have to have that in my homebrew."
Seriously, there's not just one. My homebrew wouldn't be what it is if I hadn't yanked out most of the races and classes and replaced them, but that's not the "core" of the game. My homebrew wouldn't be what it is if it didn't use the d20 Call of Cthulhu magic system instead of the D&D default. It wouldn't be what it is if it wasn't a nearly dead, rusted out Barsoom-like planet with bizarre alien flora and fauna. It wouldn't be what it is without the steampunk and flintlock pistols.

I can't say, "this one thing here, that's what makes my setting." All of those listed above get equal billing.

And if you get down to the details, there's even more.

ssampier

First Post
As a DM, the ultimate homebrew would be feature lots of danger and excitement, teaming with plots and subplots.

Of course, I usually have to compromise, since my players are generally power hungry warmongers.

mcrow said:
Not required for me,but they are much like bacon: they make everything else taste better. :D

Except, maybe, more bacon.

Remove ads