D&D 5E Zephyr Spell for Thieves

In the "Xanathar's Guide to Everything", there is a spell, "Zephyr Strike", that is tailor made for thieves. The spell characteristics are:
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute (10 combat rounds)
- Your movement does not provoke opportunity attacks for the duration of the spell
- Once before the spell ends, you can give yourself advantage on one weapon attack on your turn.
- The attack does an additional 1D8 force damage on a hit.
- Whether you hit or miss, your walking speed increases by 30 feet until the end of that turn.

In short, while you have spell slots, you can cast a spell as a bonus action that gives you advantage on your attack for sneak attack damage and the same benefits as a disengage cunning action.

The downside to this spell is that it is a ranger spell. To utilize the spell, you will need to multiclass with the ranger class. It take two levels of ranger to get access to ranger spells and 2 spell slots. The question is where do you stop the multiclass. Another level of ranger gives you an additional spell slot and a ranger archetype with their benefits. A 4th level of ranger gives you the ASI you loose through multi-classing. A 2nd option is to take 2 levels of ranger and 2 levels of warlock. Taking 2 levels of warlock provides 2 spell slots that are regained during a short rest. Ranger spell slots are regained during a long rest.

The two characters combinations I am thinking about trying are:
-arcane trickster/ ranger. Take 4 levels of ranger followed by 16 levels of arcane trickster
- Thief/ ranger/ warlock. 2 levels of ranger followed by 2 levels of warlock followed by 16 levels of thief. I may take another level or 2 of warlock to pick up some of the additional features (like every ritual in the game for one more level)

I do a post later if I get a chance to play either character.

Gavin O.

First Post
If you're going Ranger/Rogue, you should definitely go up to 5 levels in Ranger for Extra Attack. Making a second attack each round is definitely worth one ASI.

I will have a look at going to 5th level. That's always the debate with multi-classing... how many levels to go. Thieves are probably the only class that benefits more from having a single attack with advantage instead of taking two attacks due to sneak attack. Do I loose potential additional attacks with advantage if I take one more level of range is the question?

Gavin O.

First Post
I will have a look at going to 5th level. That's always the debate with multi-classing... how many levels to go. Thieves are probably the only class that benefits more from having a single attack with advantage instead of taking two attacks due to sneak attack. Do I loose potential additional attacks with advantage if I take one more level of range is the question?

Remember that you don't need advantage to sneak attack, it's also sufficient to have one of your allies engaging the enemy in melee, which in my experience is a very common occurrence.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Depending on how you like to play, Lore Bard 6 would also give you access to the spell, along with three more skills, two more with expertise, Jack of all trades, a wide range of spells, healing, and bardic inspiration.

Going Ranger, though, definitely go to 5. (I would look specifically to Horizon Walker, which lets you convert your attack to Force damage).

Zene

First Post
Gloomstalker is pretty great for rogues. Even just three levels, although yes L5 is a big breakpoint.

Regarding advantage; if you go Arcane Trickster, taking Find Familiar and going with Owl can give you advantage much of the time. And then of course in endgame you get the feature that allows mage hand to give you advantage.

Remove ads