Origins Award Winners Announced

The award season is underway! Over the weekend, the 2015 Origins Award winners were announced at the Origins Game Fair. The Origins Awards cover a broad range of tabletop games, including RPGs, boardgames, card games, historical miniatures games, and more. This year, Monte Cook and Kevin Siembieda were added to the Hall of Fame, and D&D 5th Edition won the best RPG categories.

The award season is underway! Over the weekend, the 2015 Origins Award winners were announced at the Origins Game Fair. The Origins Awards cover a broad range of tabletop games, including RPGs, boardgames, card games, historical miniatures games, and more. This year, Monte Cook and Kevin Siembieda were added to the Hall of Fame, and D&D 5th Edition won the best RPG categories.

Best Role Playing Game
Dungeon & Dragons Players Handbook (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Role Playing Supplement
Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Board Game

Sheriff of Nottingham (Arcane Wonders)

Best Card Game
Splendor (Asmodee)

Best Children’s, Family, & Party Game
The Hare and the Tortoise (Iello)

Best Collectible Card Game
Magic: the Gathering Khans of Tarkir (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Game Accessory
Wings of Glory Mat (Ares Games)

Best Historical Board Game

Heroes of Normandie (Iello)

Best Historical Miniature Figure/Line
Sails of Glory Series 2 (Ares Games)

Best Historical Miniature Rules
Sails of Glory (Ares Games)

Best Historical Miniature Rules Supplement

Battleground Europe (Osprey Publishing/Warlord)

Best Miniature Figure Rules
Golem Arcana (Harebrained Schemes)

That Kevin Siembieda was added to the Hall of Fame boggles my mind, especially given the shambles of the Robotech Kickstarter he is "running" at the moment.

Gundark

Explorer
That Kevin Siembieda was added to the Hall of Fame boggles my mind, especially given the shambles of the Robotech Kickstarter he is "running" at the moment.

For good or I'll the man and his company have been around for a long time. Several gamers have played his games. My parents thought D&D was evil so they'd let me play TMNT, Heroes unlimited, and ironically Rifts.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Congrats to Wizards of the Coast's 5e team for delivering the best edition of the World's Greatest Role-Playing game!

WotC sweeping. Not much of a surprise. Expect this come the ENnies.

Monte Cook getting the Hall of Fame makes sense as he was somewhat involved in three of the biggest games of the last 20 years (3e/PF, early 5e, and Numenera. Plus Ptolus).

Ares Games is sure making a name for themselves with a couple different Origins awards and several well reviewed games, along with several successful Kickstarters.

In contrast, we have Kevin Siembieda. Not an unworthy addition to the Hall of Fame given Palladium Books continued existence and sales (despite that publisher lagging farther and farther behind industry standards in game design, production values, layout, and the like). But certainly an ill timed one with the continued drama of the Robotech Kickstarter, including a recent update that is hilariously long and heaps blame on the other parties involved while still not apologizing.

neobolts

Explorer
Cook and Simbieda are excellent choices. D&D 2e and Heroes Unlimited were my introduction to tabletop RPGs, so they seem like natural choices.

Bonus - My Highly Opinionated View on Robotech:
Having been a teenager in the 90s, I will never understand the Robotech fandom. I was introduced to the Macross universe with Macross Plus in 1995 and went back and discovered the various Macross series. When I heard that there was a U.S. version that lazily chopped everything up and combined unrelated shows together, I can't say I was excited. I think of Robotech the same way I think of the U.S. made 1993 Super Mario movie or the 2000 Godzilla movie.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Ah, I'm one of the Robotech fanboys from the early to mid 80s that ran off the school bus so I would only miss the first 5 minutes of each episode that started at 3:30. Still a big fan with the various DVD boxed sets.

delericho

Legend
No great surprise to see D&D 5e doing so well. But congratulations nonetheless.

And congratulations also to Monte Cook. Well deserved.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads