GEAR UP FOR ACTION! [WOIN] Future Equipment Is Here!

GEAR UP FOR ACTION! This manual includes a wide variety of weapons, armor, equipment, drugs, cybernetics, vehicles, and more for characters in the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system along with rules for upgrading and customizing gear. From subspace beacons, to gravbelts, to handlheld scanners; from sonic pistols to laser swords; from kevlar vests to powered armor; the equipment you choose us an important decision. And with more exotic weaponry, such as the Galactic Yards PBW28 Electro Halberd or the MicroCo JO40 Stingfury Tachyon Autopistol, you'll be sure to find something to suit your character's style. Additional requisitions and organizations rules allow you to equip your characters from your naval ship's armoury or your secret spy quartermaster. This book requires the use of a What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. core rulebook.

new_equip.jpg

barasawa

Explorer
Isn't that supposed to be part of the kickstarter backers stuff and the emails a bit late, or am I mistaken?
(The breaking up of the books into individual portions has kind of made that a bit confusing to me.)

Last edited by a moderator:

dynath

Villager
Isn't that supposed to be part of the kickstarter backers stuff and the emails a bit late, or am I mistaken?
(The breaking up of the books into individual portions has kind of made that a bit confusing to me.)
Yeah it's supposed to be a kickstarter thing. I think this is the first time a full release has preceded a kickstarter update release.

As a backer I get the general impression that everything is being made in a modular fashion that allows for easier play testing and generally results in a trickling release. Regardless of the pace the product quality is fantastic.

barasawa

Explorer
Yeah it's supposed to be a kickstarter thing. I think this is the first time a full release has preceded a kickstarter update release.

As a backer I get the general impression that everything is being made in a modular fashion that allows for easier play testing and generally results in a trickling release. Regardless of the pace the product quality is fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, I love WOIN, but I'm just a little lost as to whether this is part of the package I'm supposed to get being a kickstarter at my level, or if it's one of the addons that aren't. If it came out in the common single book release (or in this case, trilogy, OLD/NOW/NEW) it would be obvious. The problem is with the segmented partial releases, equipment seems like one of the chapters I'd expect, so I don't know where this item sits.
I haven't gotten an email telling me to download or anything, but then again, I seem to be very likely to get systems to go flaky on me for now reason.
In the military, the entire time I was at Lowry AFB, they never sent me my check. (Pre-direct deposit days) They couldn't figure it out, since they had all the right info, but for some reason, mine never made it to me. It got to the point, on payday I'd walk in to base accounting and they'd have me skip the line and just sign for my cash that was waiting for me. I know, silly story, but it just goes to show, I'm unfortunately used of things getting snafu'd for one reason or another, even if it makes no sense at all.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Kickstarter reward is the compiled hardcover (or PDF thereof). That's not ready yet. The individual sections have been going out as separate softcovers, also, and I'm tending to give them to Kickstarter backers as an added freebie. There have been some 70-ish Kickstarter updates/emails, and a bunch of them have DTRPG vouchers for free items -- so far there's 5 books: the Starter Kit, Future Careers, Space, Starship Construction Manual, and now Future Equipment, plus the beta version of Archaic Careers (the final version of which will appear imminently). The link to this is in Update #75, which went out today.

The reason I'm doing separate sections individually like this is so that people can build their rulesets piecemeal if they want to. Say you get the NEW hardcover and you just want to add magic to it, you don't have to buy an entire OLD hardcover - you can just buy the magic section separately.

So when you get the full NEW hardcover, this is already in it. You won't need both. I personally like having them as separate sections also, because a group can share the sections around at the table rather than a single hardcover. It means one person can look up a new bit of equipment while someone else is checking up on a spell.

barasawa

Explorer
The Kickstarter reward is the compiled hardcover (or PDF thereof). That's not ready yet. The individual sections have been going out as separate softcovers, also, and I'm tending to give them to Kickstarter backers as an added freebie. There have been some 70-ish Kickstarter updates/emails, and a bunch of them have DTRPG vouchers for free items -- so far there's 5 books: the Starter Kit, Future Careers, Space, Starship Construction Manual, and now Future Equipment, plus the beta version of Archaic Careers (the final version of which will appear imminently). The link to this is in Update #75, which went out today.

The reason I'm doing separate sections individually like this is so that people can build their rulesets piecemeal if they want to. Say you get the NEW hardcover and you just want to add magic to it, you don't have to buy an entire OLD hardcover - you can just buy the magic section separately.

So when you get the full NEW hardcover, this is already in it. You won't need both. I personally like having them as separate sections also, because a group can share the sections around at the table rather than a single hardcover. It means one person can look up a new bit of equipment while someone else is checking up on a spell.

Thank you very much for the clarification. So the emails just hadn't gone out. Great! :D
Once the holiday crazies are over, I might be able to get my brothers to try it!
I completely agree with the sharing of the sections, but with these guys, they really need to go buy their own! (I've seen them in a group of 6 people with 4 books, and they still argue over them.)

Update: Yay! Got the file and I like it a lot! Too bad it isn't bigger, but lets face it, it could be a thousand pages and we'd still want more.
Though I do question the Spaceship travel rates for in system, at that price per AU it can easily exceed the price of travelling an entire Parsec.
(Jupiter ranges from 4 to 6 AU from earth depending on orbital position, but even when it's 6 AU away, a ship would have to travel further than that since it won't want to fly through the sun.)
Well, either way, people will adjust prices for their campaign depending on what kind of travel access they want.

Thank you again!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Though I do question the Spaceship travel rates for in system, at that price per AU it can easily exceed the price of travelling an entire Parsec.
(Jupiter ranges from 4 to 6 AU from earth depending on orbital position, but even when it's 6 AU away, a ship would have to travel further than that since it won't want to fly through the sun.)
Well, either way, people will adjust prices for their campaign depending on what kind of travel access they want.

Yeah, inner-system travel typically happens at sub-light speeds. It takes longer than FTL travel to a nearby system can. [WOIN] Space deals with it in more detail. It also assumes average distances between planets for ease of use, but you can always go more complex if you want - like you say, GMs will set prices based on whatever suits their setting.

Essentially, FTL transport is very cheap. Big transports and liners, regular routes. You get a taxi in-system; you get a bus for FTL travel.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Will you ever have a compiled Print on Demand version of all of these in a single book? Just asking, because I'd just rather have everything in a single book for NEW, a single book for OLD, and one for NOW. How it is currently being released is very confusing.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Will you ever have a compiled Print on Demand version of all of these in a single book? Just asking, because I'd just rather have everything in a single book for NEW, a single book for OLD, and one for NOW. How it is currently being released is very confusing.

Yes, these sections will all be in one hardcover.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases