FFG republishing old AH Titan boardgame???

grodog

Hero
According to NobleKnight.com's latest newletter, Fantasy Flight is republishing Titan: The Arena, the old AH sequel to the fabulous Dave Trampier classic boardgame Titan.

Anyone know more about this, and whether or not FFG is also reprinting Titan?

I'm hoping this isn't an issue with crossed data streams somewhere!

CrusadeDave

First Post
grodog said:
According to NobleKnight.com's latest newletter, Fantasy Flight is republishing Titan: The Arena, the old AH sequel to the fabulous Dave Trampier classic boardgame Titan.

Anyone know more about this, and whether or not FFG is also reprinting Titan?

I'm hoping this isn't an issue with crossed data streams somewhere!

Oh please let it be Titan, please let it be Titan, please let it be Titan. Anyway, Titan is a fabulous boardgame. The more mathmatical analysis you do with it, the more amazed you become at how perfectly balanced it is.

BTW, you can download a pretty decent Java version of Titan at colossus.sourceforge.net.... Comes with all the standard variants played at MIT and elsewhere. Plus you can finish a game against the AI in about 20 minutes!

WizarDru

Adventurer
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the game being redone is Reiner Knizia's Titan: the Arena, which is a bidding game with virtually no connection to the old Titan game.

Said game, which was done by David Trampier and Jason McAlister, would be a source of inspiration for lots of other games that would come down the pike, later. However, there are several issues that impede a reprint or re-releasal of it. Trampier has functionally disappeared. Although he was recently relocated working as a Taxi driver (really), he appears to have completely severed all ties with his past. Convincing him to sign away the rights would be the issue.

It's not clear if he's even aware that his work is still appreciated.

Last edited:

grodog

Hero
WizarDru said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the game being redone is Reiner Knizia's Titan: the Arena, which is a bidding game with virtually no connection to the old Titan game.

So, Dru, is there any connection to the old game at all? I know that the Gorgonstar edition of Titan had an expansion published (for any and all sundry details see http://wolff.to/titan/) called Battlelands, but I had also always thought that Titan the Arena was basically another expansion published by AH after their edition of Titan. Sounds like that's NOT the case???

WizarDru

Adventurer
'Fraid not. I have the AH version of Titan: The Arena. It's a fun game, if you like bidding games....but it has NO relation to the old Titan game. I think it was merely a case of AH trying to capitalize on the name. The game is basically supposed to be a gladiatorial arena battle, with monsters fighting and being eliminated. Players are owners of the monsters, and bid on the winners for each round. Then they use various cards to try and force which creature(s) get eliminated, until only three remain at the end of the game. Then you tally the points, and the best bidder (i.e. someone who selected the most winners with the most money) wins. The only relation is that some of the same monsters appear in both games....and maybe is used the same fictional world setting.

grodog

Hero
Thanks for the details, they're very appreciated. I never owned my own copy of Titan, and am regretting that, of course now (the eBay prices are murder, though not as nearly as bad as for the MB Dark Tower game). I will cross Titan the Arena off of my mental wish list :D

Remove ads