clarification on buyign skills as a multiclass character

uv23

First Post
Well it seems I've been doing it wrong all along. Up until now, I've been doing the following:

Multiclass characters buy all skills at the most favorable cost of either of their classes. i.e. If a character is a level 1 rogue, then they multiclass to rogue 1/fighter 1, they would still buy all of their rogue class skills at a cost of 1/rank. This is what seemed to be the case from reading the multiclassing paragraph on skills.

But then I just read something from Dragon that said that although the maximum rank takes into account all classes, it still costs whatever it would cost the new character level. i.e. the aforementioned character would pay for rogue skills (that fighters even have access to) at a cost of 2/rank when he multiclasses to fighter.

Is this right? More vaguaries to drive me crazy. The more verbose your response, the more I'd appreciate it. :)

Zhure

First Post
My non-verbose reply:
When you add a class, you buy skills for that class at normal cost, and all cross-class at double cost. You cannot buy exclusive skills unless they are available to that class.

Your max skill for a class skill is your total character level+3, unless it's an exclusive skill, then it is equal to the total character level+3 of classes that can take it. All skills which are not a class skill for any of your classes is equal to 1/2 of the above (either case).

From the SRD: "Skills: The character retains and can access skills from all his or her classes. For the purposes of determining the “Max Ranks” of a skill, use the character’s character level rather than individual class levels. When adding a new class level, the costs for new ranks in skills are calculated using the costs for that class. Skills available to another of the character’s classes which are normally not allowed by the class being added or increased are treated as cross-class skills for the purpose of determining the cost of skill ranks."
Hope that helps,
Greg

drnuncheon

Explorer
uv23 said:
Well it seems I've been doing it wrong all along. Up until now, I've been doing the following:

Multiclass characters buy all skills at the most favorable cost of either of their classes. i.e. If a character is a level 1 rogue, then they multiclass to rogue 1/fighter 1, they would still buy all of their rogue class skills at a cost of 1/rank. This is what seemed to be the case from reading the multiclassing paragraph on skills.

But then I just read something from Dragon that said that although the maximum rank takes into account all classes, it still costs whatever it would cost the new character level. i.e. the aforementioned character would pay for rogue skills (that fighters even have access to) at a cost of 2/rank when he multiclasses to fighter.

Is this right? More vaguaries to drive me crazy. The more verbose your response, the more I'd appreciate it. :)

Here's how I look at it, hich keeps it straight for me:

Max ranks is always calculated based on your character level. The sole exceptions are the exclusive skills like Use Magic Device.

Skill ranks, on the other hand, are bought based on whatever class you just gained a level in. If it's a class skill for that class, you get the cheaper cost. If it's cross-class - even if it used to be a class skill for you - you pay the higher cost.

Think of them as 'Fighter skill points' or 'Rogue skill points'.

So, if Kraydn is a Ftr2/Rog3, and he gains a level of Fighter, he must pay 2 points/rank for his Bluff - but his max ranks in Bluff are based on his total level (so up to 9). He wouldn't be able to put any ranks into his Decipher Script, though.

J

shilsen

Adventurer
drnuncheon said:
So, if Kraydn is a Ftr2/Rog3, and he gains a level of Fighter, he must pay 2 points/rank for his Bluff - but his max ranks in Bluff are based on his total level (so up to 9). He wouldn't be able to put any ranks into his Decipher Script, though.

Max ranks in Bluff would be 8 (class level +3), not 9.

el Voz

First Post
uv23 said:

Your original way is not correct, however, you can house rule it that way. As a player I prefer it that way. As a DM I would watch for min/maxers who take advantage of that rule.

Thanee

First Post
Zhure said:
From the SRD: "Skills: The character retains and can access skills from all his or her classes. For the purposes of determining the “Max Ranks” of a skill, use the character’s character level rather than individual class levels. When adding a new class level, the costs for new ranks in skills are calculated using the costs for that class. Skills available to another of the character’s classes which are normally not allowed by the class being added or increased are treated as cross-class skills for the purpose of determining the cost of skill ranks."

Wait a second... does this last part mean, that you can increase an exclusive skill you got from another class with skill points from a class, that has no access to that skill, altho at the cost of a cross-class skill?

Let's say I'm a Rogue and multiclass into Fighter, can I spend two of my Fighter skill points to increase my Use Magic Device skill by one?

What about the maximum rank, is it still limited by the class levels of my classes that have access to that exclusive skill?

Bye
Thanee

shilsen

Adventurer
Thanee said:
Wait a second... does this last part mean, that you can increase an exclusive skill you got from another class with skill points from a class, that has no access to that skill, altho at the cost of a cross-class skill?

Let's say I'm a Rogue and multiclass into Fighter, can I spend two of my Fighter skill points to increase my Use Magic Device skill by one?

What about the maximum rank, is it still limited by the class levels of my classes that have access to that exclusive skill?

Bye
Thanee

According to the PHB, the answers are no, no, and yes. However, this is one place where SRD and PHB seem to diverge. The sentence that "Skills available to another of the character’s classes which are normally not allowed by the class being added or increased are treated as cross-class skills for the purpose of determining the cost of skill ranks" indicates that exclusive skills can be purchased in this way. Which would change the answers to yes, yes, and unclear. I think I'll just go with what the PHB says.

Remove ads