24 4/11/05 (Spoilers, natch.)

Tom Cashel

First Post
Okay.

Can anyone tell me why they sent one helicopter and two guys to retrieve the FOOTBALL?!?

I kept waiting for the Special Ops guys to come pouring out of the other two copters, seal off the exits, swarm in and blast Marwan's goons to bits.

No excuse, except that the innocent bystanders had to remain in danger, and Marwan had to escape. In other words, no excuse except lazy plotting.

This one goes beyond suspension of disbelief. Too stupid for words.

Banshee16

First Post
Tom Cashel said:
Okay.

Can anyone tell me why they sent one helicopter and two guys to retrieve the FOOTBALL?!?

I kept waiting for the Special Ops guys to come pouring out of the other two copters, seal off the exits, swarm in and blast Marwan's goons to bits.

No excuse, except that the innocent bystanders had to remain in danger, and Marwan had to escape. In other words, no excuse except lazy plotting.

Yeah, I thought that was really odd. This object is of such great importance that they send *2* agents to recover it....one of whom was evidently junior, since he got himself offed half a minute after getting out of the chopper.

I liked the episode, but it was a bit too convenient. And not sure why they waited in the chopper, letting the other jeep get away. Why not take out the first jeep, then go after the second immediately? It's a chopper....it should have easily been able to stop both vehicles.

Banshee

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Yeah, yet another series of Plot Convenience Theatre. Blah. The acting in the episode was good, but the whole thing was so unbelievable.

And I know for sure that they can deactivate the codes in the football a lot quicker than that. Not to mention that the football does not, as far as I can tell, have the *locations* of the nukes in it. And, also also not to mention, most nukes don't require code numbers to be put into them to activate them. The codes are for the soldiers who are in charge of the nukes. They verify the codes, then they activate the nuclear weapon(s) they are in charge of.

Whoever wrote this season just really does not know much about the US military. Or about strategy & tactics.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
What annoyed me was the repeat of the whole twenty-fifth amendement scene from Season Two. If they keep doing that you might as well change the name of the show from "24" to "25".

Dark Jezter

First Post
Cyberzombie said:
Whoever wrote this season just really does not know much about the US military. Or about strategy & tactics.

I realized long ago that movies and television shows are not obligated to be realistic (unless authenticity is what they're going for), just entertaining. This is why I can forgive the factual errors concering the Football.

But, as others have pointed out, I can't figure out why the helicopter couldn't just take out both Jeeps. Being able to only destroy one of the Jeeps convinently allowed Marwan to make yet another narrow escape (because apparantly he has a super-Jeep that can outrun a helicopter and reach the middle of the Mojave desert mere minutes after Air Force One crashed).

Ah well, 24 is still entertaining as hell. Can't wait for the next episode. :)

Welverin

First Post
Silver Moon said:
What annoyed me was the repeat of the whole twenty-fifth amendement scene from Season Two. If they keep doing that you might as well change the name of the show from "24" to "25".

But note who was involved, also note the how twitchy he was (and the sweat on his lip). Now they could all be red herrings, but then they need to fill up seven more hours and I doubt it will all be dealing with the nuke, which I'm sure they already knew the location of.

The number of westerners Marwan is working with makes me suspect this is more than just a bunch of stereotypical middle easterner terrorists. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the two lackeys at McLennan Forrestor (the head of security and the VIPish guy) were involved.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Welverin said:
In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the two lackeys at McLennan Forrestor (the head of security and the VIPish guy) were involved.

Yeah, what ever happened to those guys? They wrapped that up real quick, with no explanattion of why they'd do such a stupid thing that made it crystal clear that they had something to hide.

Wycen

Explorer
Tom Cashel said:
Okay.

Did you miss that whole steal a stealth fighter, find Airforce One and shoot it down part?

arnon

Explorer
i enjoyed the episode. I don;t look for realism in movies and series... it just takes all the fun out of them.

did anyone else get the impression that mike novack knows more than he sould??? or is it just me...

arnon

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Remus Lupin said:
Yeah, what ever happened to those guys?
Yeah, but the other question is what happened to the stealth fighter? Yes you had a downed Air Force One to deal with and the missing football. But I'd have thought that at least somebody would have still been concerned about the plane.

Remove ads