What kind of a character builder are you?

What kind of character builder are you?

• Single Class (1-20 all the way!)

Votes: 30 22.9%
  • Single Class + Prestige Class

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Single Class + Multiple Prestige Classes

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Multi-Class (two core classes only)

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • Multi-Class (two or more) + Prestige Class

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • Multi-Class (two or more) + Multiple Prestige Classes

Votes: 17 13.0%

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I am curious to know what kind of characters people prefer to create and run.

Myself, I don't tend to get many characters over the 9-12 hump, so I usually build my characters as multi-class characters and make them as front-loaded as I can. By front-loaded, I mean that I try for abilities that I find immediately useful, as early as possible in the "levelling plan" of my characters.

For example, I was directed to make a level 10 character for a module that I only ended up playing once. I thought it might be fun to try a Rogue 4/Monk 6 combination for the joys of Stunning Fist/Sneak Attack damage, gross amounts of skill points, and I made him a Halfling (whose Monk speed compensates for his Small status). I gave him Two-Weapon Fighting and Improved Disarm, plus Weapon Focus with the Sai. He would be the ultimate disarming machine, plus an excellent trap-springer (with Evasion and the Rogue/Monk's combined Reflex save) and mage-slayer (move-tumble to back lines-poke a lot until they die).

How about everyone else?

Last edited:

Romnipotent

First Post
The latest D&D character I made (for a long time) is a Fighter1/Ranger1/Psychic Warrior3/Illithid Hunter7/HalfOgre2 (Races of Destiny)

Expanded Knowledged; Dimension Swap (Psion)
After thats done I think Im going to try something other PRC, or raising fighter and ranger 1 each (no more XP penalties), then going into something that needs wild empathy... heh

shilsen

Adventurer
None of those on your list. I come up with a character concept and then choose the classes that'll fit it. So depending on the concept it could be single-class or multi-class.

Li Shenron

Legend
Usually it has been single class for me, although one reason could be also that we've play most of the times at intermediate levels.

I've done multiclassed, but never more than 2 base classes, as I tend to think that it doesn't make much sense to go beyond that.

I've used prestige classes too, only one at a time. I could accept a second if it was a neutral (non RP-related) class, such as those that only help multiclassing more efficiently, but generally I'm not particularly attracted by those.

So I've done the 3, without going too far, but I slightly prefer single class.

SBMC

First Post
Herobizkit said:
I am curious to know what kind of characters people prefer to create and run.

Myself, I don't tend to get many characters over the 9-12 hump, so I usually build my characters as multi-class characters and make them as front-loaded as I can. By front-loaded, I mean that I try for abilities that I find immediately useful, as early as possible in the "levelling plan" of my characters.

For example, I was directed to make a level 10 character for a module that I only ended up playing once. I thought it might be fun to try a Rogue 4/Monk 6 combination for the joys of Stunning Fist/Sneak Attack damage, gross amounts of skill points, and I made him a Halfling (whose Monk speed compensates for his Small status). I gave him Two-Weapon Fighting and Improved Disarm, plus Weapon Focus with the Sai. He would be the ultimate disarming machine, plus an excellent trap-springer (with Evasion and the Rogue/Monk's combined Reflex save) and mage-slayer (move-tumble to back lines-poke a lot until they die).

How about everyone else?

I also create a concept then try to make the classes fit. I prefer a single core class or a core class + a single prestige class.

Funny thing; jsut last month I was in a covnersation with various folks about this same subject; I have a knack for collected and recalling useless information - Pieces of advice pertaining to this subject that I have collected; pieces of which I was given by a player that has been around since - Well I would think the very first D&D books hit the shelves (classes used are just for example):

1. "If you want to be a fighter - play a fighter. If you want to be a wizard - play a wizard"

2. "If you want to play a fighter with a twist - be a fighter and add on a class of your choice - but remember you won't be just a fighter anymore"

3. "Always ask yourself; am I multiclassing to be a munchkin? Or does this added class drive me closer to what I want the character to be?"

4. "Is the added class I am looking at just for roleplaying? If so shoudl I diverge from my Core Class at all? If I can roleplay the concept?"

MonsterMash

First Post
Got to say I voted single class, but most of the time I prefer to fit the classes to the concept, though a lot of my concepts are iconic single class types and in 3.5 I'll happily take a cleric or druid anytime.

Remove ads