Warforged compositions as subraces

Dirigible

Explorer
This is more idle speculation than anything.

Is there any merit to the idea of making the different Warforged body compositions into subraces instead of feats? Obviously, the numbers would have to be tweaked, but it makes sense to me; the nature of a forged's hide is as integral to it's being as a dwarf's beard (which is, of course, the source of its Stability) or an elf's wussiness.

Last edited:

DreamChaser

Explorer
The major issue is that they aren't really subraces. If something other than feats were used, templates would be most accurate. They are still warforged and ultimately they are the same warforged as every other warforged. By forfeiting their first level feats, they can benefit from an upgrade to their armoring.

Plus, keeping them feats keeps such modifications theoretically infinite; you could come up with new ones (as they did in Races of Eberron) without needing to create new subraces.

Thanks,

DC

Vlos

First Post
Well, in MMIII they break warforged down by design rather than material. So they have a warforged scout, warforged rampager (I think thats what its called) and the basic warforged.

By breaking them down by material, wouldn't allow players to upgrade with feats then either. Beacuse you can't change your sub-type by adding a feat, which the players can do now.

smootrk

First Post
I would call the Warforge Scout a subrace, and the same for the Charger(rampager). Other variations should be possible, although, I would not allow PC's to switch/upgrade.

Remove ads