CORELINE (D20 Modern/D20 BESM Setting).

Lord Zack

Explorer
I just had a thought. We figured that shields would be less effective as a means of defense for naval ships, because they would quickly drain when in contact with the water, right? So here's what I figured, what if the shields are not projected outside of the ship (excepting over the deck)? What if, instead, they a projected between the outer armor and the inner hull? Anything that could get through the armor will then have to deal with the shields.

kronos182

Adventurer
I just had a thought. We figured that shields would be less effective as a means of defense for naval ships, because they would quickly drain when in contact with the water, right? So here's what I figured, what if the shields are not projected outside of the ship (excepting over the deck)? What if, instead, they a projected between the outer armor and the inner hull? Anything that could get through the armor will then have to deal with the shields.

There's too much interconnecting parts between outer and inner hulls for double hulled ships, which would be more of submarine designs. Something more like Structural Integrity Fields would probably work.. It would increase the ship's hardness while active.
Although if one was to build naval ships with multiple layers with spacing between them, then that's just basically spaced armour design, which would reduce the effectiveness of shaped charge warheads like the ubiquitous HEAT rounds. I have rules for such that for that type of armour where it reduces their ability to ignore hardness/dr by half (so if it ignores 10 points of hardness, it only now ignores 5).

Did I mention before about using shields but kept above the water level? Would have to keep several feet above (on calm waters a good 10 feet is good, but on rockier waters 20 or higher might be best) which can protect from airborne attacks, or attacks launched using a ballistic curve (most artillery use this shoot up and let it drop from above), but not against straight attacks from close by ships or torpedo attacks in the water. Or maybe something like a pin point barrier like what they have in Macross?

What about using the water itself as a shield.. if there were water-benders on board they could create walls of water or ice.. or could create short lived walls of ice using technology.. throw something like a depth charge over the side and for a short time it causes the water that splashes up (it could also have something that forces more water up into the air) and freezes it, creating a wall of ice that'll probably be destroyed quickly by an attack, but it would stop or severely reduce damage from an attack.

Lord Zack

Explorer
I think a shield in conjunction with the pinpoint barrier seems like a good combination of defensive measures.

I am wondering if the timeline of the 23 hours on page 1 is accurate to the current version of Coreline. I am considering writing an adventure set during the 23 hours and it would be useful to know when certain things would happen.

Well, seen some stories with subs packing shields, so maybe it's a matter of setting them to compensate for the water?

Dig the idea if reinforcement, the pinpoint shields, guess the waterbender shields are one of the things you see in Avatarverse tech (not rare around places with more Avatarverse presence) and the multiple layers also sound cool.

Regarding the timeline on Page 1... well... still is accurate. Probably we can do some changes, though. We can see there's details missing like where Fictions appeared around the world and thus which appeared afterwards (ex. supposedly there's still some anti-Saiyan conflict on Louisiana... did they appeared during or after the Hours?)

Lord Zack

Explorer
I have been working on a sort of equivalent to Mobile Suit Variations for Coreline. Specifically focusing on the period following the 23 hours. However, Coreline has more than just mobile suits and I'm having trouble coming up with ideas beyond mobile suits. I'm especially interested in Battlemech variants that may be/could only be developed on Coreline. I'm also lacking in skill in drawing mecha, so I'll either need to work on that, or find someone who will be willing to do that.

Last edited:

kronos182

Adventurer
I have been working on a sort of equivalent to Mobile Suit Variations for Coreline. Specifically focusing on the period following the 23 hours. However, Coreline has more than just mobile suits and I'm having trouble coming up with ideas beyond mobile suits. I'm especially interested in Battlemech variants that may be/could only be developed on Coreline. I'm also lacking in skill in drawing mecha, so I'll either need to work on that, or find someone who will be willing to do that.

You want some ideas of variations? I'm sure I could assist in that.. and also increase my WIP list (really sorry I haven't posted much in the last while, work as been really busy for me, taking up all my time).
Probably would be simpler to pick one mech, see what variants are currently available in that mech's cannon, then we look at where this mech would be found in/on Coreline, then who's most likely opponents. Also can brainstorm what if situations and what can be used to solve those situations.. like.. Hey, some GM-79s are stationed near the coast, what can we do to make them more efficient? First would be improved water sealing/protection (improve depth tolerance), some water propulsion. And oh hey.. projectile weapons like bullets and missiles aren't great in water, so torpedoes, special underwater ammo or new weapons entirely (harpoons/spears, depth charges, sonic weapons.. lasers designed for underwater use).. and we go from there.

PM me some ideas you have and we can figure some stuff out.

Battlemech variants.. mostly just added in tech from other universes/fictions.. a madcat with repulsor lift (star wars) based jump jets? maybe a phaser emitter (older style or new?), shields?

The Gundam Firepower. Think Heavyarms only up to eleven. Modifications to compensate for the additional weight in ammo and weapons means that one of these punching another suit in the face usually ends with that face getting utterly wrecked, even the fancy new ones.

Undoubtedly used for stuff like area denial and stuff like forcing suits with deployable shields to keep them signed in a certain direction constantly which allows for flanking.

kronos182

Adventurer
The Gundam Firepower. Think Heavyarms only up to eleven. Modifications to compensate for the additional weight in ammo and weapons means that one of these punching another suit in the face usually ends with that face getting utterly wrecked, even the fancy new ones.

Undoubtedly used for stuff like area denial and stuff like forcing suits with deployable shields to keep them signed in a certain direction constantly which allows for flanking.

A heavy artillergy or assault version of any particular Gundam? Slapping guns on can be easy, to a point.. oooh.. swapping the vulcans for Bolter style weapons maybe? Although I don't think there are any bolters really above personal or maybe light vehicle (basically just the heavy bolters).
Throw in a battle tech PPC as a shoulder weapon (short range by heavy damage, could give some beam weapons a run for their money, and depending on how the PPCs work, anti-beam weapon coatings/armour wouldn't work as well against it).

Well, "Shinji and Warhammer 40K" and any universes based on the "Adeptus Evangelion" RPG have mecha-sized Bolters. Would be a manner of either adapting them for Gundam use or modifying the action so it can be mounted on a different frame... or resizing as needs be.

And Bolt rounds are gyrojets that actually work and even better than real life, so there is also that (figuring out how to make them work on a Mecha-sized scale from basic reverse engineering).

How about also the Gundam Firewall? Designed purely for firefighting work. Think this Gundam PSA but up to eleven.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gundam_firefighting.jpg

Last edited:

Remove ads