I like Mike (Mearls that is)

Ok, so maybe I was a little hard on Mike with the whole Rust Monster nerfage, I mean, who messes with the Rust Monster? It has been the leveling creature for mages everywhere.

So when I went to GenCon and sat down to play my obligatory D&D Demo with the new dragon minis - a new DM sets down as well, none other than Mike Mearls. I have visions of chewing him up and spitting him out and a sadistic glee spreads through my whole body as I watch him prepare.

So we start - There are 4 of us, because that's all that is set up to play, with 4 different characters out of 8 so there are a few different combinations possible. We end up with a sorcerer, a warforged barbarian, a dwarven fighter and an elven ranger (me). Now while we are a little spell light (no real healing other than myself) we can deal some serious damage if we should hit. The game went along fairly uneventfully but I notice that even in this pre-drawn scenario that I'm having more fun than some of the other people at some of the other tables, then it dawns on me. Mike is the difference, he is an engaging DM, even for just a combat driven scenario such as this one, descriptive in his accounts of battle and an generally likable kind of guy.

So I'm sitting here wanting to really go at him for nerfing the Rust Monster, but I can't, he's too nice. And I want to dislike him for changing things, but, he's too good a DM to hate. So I then have a realization that sometimes DMs have different spots for different occasions. I may not agree with Mike on his monster creation (or re-creation) skills, but he can run a session. Friday midday was the highlight of my demo games and I owe it to Mike. So Mike Mearls, thank you, I said so then, but I said I would post it here too - I'm keeping my end of the bargain.

Viking Kitten

First Post
I don't always agree with his ideas either, but I greatly appreciate that he and other wotc developers are trying to make D&D a better game through their analysis and player feedback.

Henry

Autoexreginated
One thing that doesn't come across well on the internet is that sometimes when people are bashing other people, they're bashing REAL PEOPLE, most of whom are actually pretty nice folks that you would be honored to sit with at a gaming table. I've never met him, but I know plenty of folks who have (PCat for one), and when somebody I respect says "he's a great guy," then he's a great guy (or gal, to generalize it a bit). That's why I never slam anyone if I can help it, and why I make the same suggestion to everyone, because you never know when you're going to meet that person in real life, and feel like a world-class dumbass for being mean to someone you really turn out liking. :D

Mike, you're an awesome guy and a really good designer. (Still disliked that Rust Monster, though.) ;)

Mystery Man

First Post
Thunderfoot said:
So I'm sitting here wanting to really go at him for nerfing the Rust Monster, but I can't, he's too nice. And I want to dislike him for changing things, but, he's too good a DM to hate.

He didn't officially change anything for the record. The new rust monster idea isn't in the SRD or in any new rule book that I know of. These monster redevolopment articles must have been met with some serious negativity since there hasn't been one in over a month. At least it is my sincere hope that we never see another one ever again.

Nellisir

Hero
I gamed with him once, before he moved west. He DMed a short Arcana Unearthed scenario that was alot of fun, and the group spent some time discussing rule design. I like the guys I normally game with, but most of them are just there to kill stuff for 4 hours; not interested in rules/balance/design questions.

Odhanan

Adventurer
That's why I never slam anyone if I can help it, and why I make the same suggestion to everyone, because you never know when you're going to meet that person in real life, and feel like a world-class dumbass for being mean to someone you really turn out liking.
QFT. :)

FireLance

Legend
Mystery Man said:
These monster redevolopment articles must have been met with some serious negativity since there hasn't been one in over a month. At least it is my sincere hope that we never see another one ever again.
A pity, because I for one think the changes would be improvements, and would like to see more of how potentially fun-killing or unfocused abilities are removed or altered.

Psion

Adventurer
Ayup.

As some of you may or may not know, I roomed with Diaglo at GenCon.

Not only did we not strangle each other, I came away thinking him a very cool, likeable individual, albeit one with different gaming tastes than me.

Staffan

Legend
Mystery Man said:
These monster redevolopment articles must have been met with some serious negativity since there hasn't been one in over a month.
He did do the beholder at a GenCon seminar, and I hope we'll see the results online.
At least it is my sincere hope that we never see another one ever again.
I liked the ones he's done so far, and hope we'll see more.

Remove ads