Dragon #356

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The fourth-to-last Dragon appeared in my mailbox today. Here's the breakdown:

Editorial: The End is Nigh, by Erik Mona - Erik makes the announcement that Dragon and Dungeon are coming to an end. Oddly, he makes some mistakes, saying that the last issues are the August issues, and that each magazine has two issues to go - later in the same editorial, he says they have three issues left to go, and reconfirms the issue numbers (#359 and #150). I can only guess that he's so broken up over the magazines ending, it's driving him to grief-stricken madness. ;)

Scale Mail - Letters this month include a rebuttal to a letter in issue #354, and yet another shout-out for more modrons. Interestingly, Erik hints that it might be possible to print the remaining modrons before Dragon's run ends.

Top 10 Most Wanted Dragons in D&D, by Tim Hitchcock and Nicolas Logue - The top ten most infamous dragons of D&D are given here. Each has a picture and a brief bio that includes known aliases, notable characteristics, known lairs, known associated, what they're wanted for, and some other bits of information. Counting them down, the dragons are Borys of Ebe, Utreshimon, Growf!, Chronepsis, Ashardalon, Klauth, Calcryx, Flame, Cyan Bloodbane, and Dragotha. Personally, I say that Infyrana should have been on there!

Ferrous Dragons, by Kevin Baase and Eric Jansing - Updated at long last from Dragon #170, the ferrous dragons return! The article opens by describing their shared traits, ecology, society (which is surprisingly cohesive, but then, all of these dragons are lawful), and level adjustments for their youngest age categories, before giving each of these true dragons a description. The dragons here are chromium, cobalt, iron, nickel, and tungsten. Sidebars cover them being "ferrous," and ferrous half-dragons. Oddly, the ferrous dragon ruler Gruaghlothor is mentioned as being in a sidebar, but said sidebar doesn't appear in the article. Here's hoping for a web enhancement!

Core Beliefs: Hextor, by Sean K Reynolds - Hextor is covered in the massive detail we've all come to enjoy in this article! After covering Hextor and his religion in rich detail, the article goes over a cleric's role, relations with other core religions, an assassin's role, a blackguard's role, holidays, three myths of his religion, prestige class suggestions, relics of the faith, two new divine spells (battlearms and hextor's fiery eyes), two NPC contacts, and a planar ally. Sidebars cover the basics about Hextor, two holy texts, the Great Kingdom, religious aphorisms, blood golems of Hextor, a map of a temple of Hextor, and a customed summon monster list.

Confession, by Paul S. Kemp - This short story, told in the first person, doesn't seem to be set in a D&D campaign setting. I won't give any spoilers here, but it's quite an enjoyable tale, particularly for being so concise!

Ecology of the Linnorm, by Jacob Frazier - This article covers the history of the linnorm (a race of fading proto-dragons, or the cursed spawn of those that gnaw on the roots of the World Tree?), as well as their physiology (with specifics given for the gray, dread, and corpse tearers), and their psychology and society (again with specifics for those three), before giving full stats for the sea linnorm (a CR 21 monster). Sidebars cover Knowledge (arcana) checks on linnorms, their D&D origins, and the seven other kinds of linnorms (including the sea linnorm) not detailed so far, with each being given a single descriptive sentence.

Savage Tidings: Into the Abyss, by Robert J. Schwalb - The Savage Tide continues! This article covers what is basically known about Demogorgon, where to get replacement PCs in the Abyss, things you can by at a planar marketplace (giving several new magic items: agony sais, arrow of glory, beastfriend collar, brilliant jewel, demonfoe, demonhair shirt, figurine of the ivory champion, shadowstealer's cloak, might stone, and starry score), and affiliation updates.

Volo's Gide: Wyrms of the West, East, and South, by Brian Cortijo, with special introduction by Ed Greenwood - This newest Volo's Guide introduces three new dragons, none of which live in the north. Each has several paragraphs of fluff text, with no mechanical information (save for listing some magic items they have).

Dragonmarks: The Gathering Stone, by Tim Hitchcock - This article describes a relic of the ancient goblinoid empires: the Gathering Stone. All of the information is fluff text, as are the two sidebars describing contests held around the Stone, and graffiti along the Stone' surface.

Sage Advie, by Andy Collins - The majority of the questions this month relate to critical hits, damage, and healing.

Class Acts

Adventurer: Bard Guide, by Amber E. Scott - This article acts as a reference guide to bards, listing tables for their abilties and recapping their powers, along with listing what prestige classes work best with what abilities.

Arcane: Occult Mutations, by Tim Hitchcock - This article introduces new character traits (from Unearthed Arcana) gained by magical mutations: amphibious, bleached pupils, corpse flesh, lidless eyes, midnight pupils, rune-scarred, toad warts, and unnatural aura. Each has a benefit and drawback, and unlike normal character traits, you may only take one of these at 1st level.

Divine: Aztec Mythos III, by David Schwartz - This article begins with more Aztec mythology, and then gives deity information for Cihuacoatl and Huitzilopochtli, with their information, portfolio, domains, favored weapons, cleric training, quests, prayers, temples, rites, and herald and allies.

Warrior: Mercenary Companies, by Paul Leach - This article gives the historical tactical units of the Scots-Irish Galloglas and the German Landsknechts affilitation rules from the PHB2.

Comics - Nodwick, by Aaron Williams; Dork Tower, by John Kovalic; and The Order of the Stick, by Rich Burlew.

NEXT MONTH IN DRAGON #357

DEMONOMICON OF IGGWILV: DEMOGORGON

by James Jacobs
Face the twin evils of the Prince of Demons himself: Demogorgon. Discover the depravity of his murderous cult, multiverse-spanning machinations, and the fell servants warped to his insane dual whims.

DEFILED CREATURES
by Nicholas Quimby
Resist the rage of nature despoiled. Beast wraiths, deadwood revenants, and bloodlances - unicorns whose horns have been stolen - all seek their righteous revenge.

FUR AND FEATHER
by Hal Maclean
Take your animal companions to a new level. New details, allies, and equipment for characters with furred friends and feathered familiars.

PLUS
The Ecology of the Titan, Volo's Guide, Dragonmarks, Savage Tidings, Class Acts, Comics - including The Order of the Stick - and more!

sckeener

First Post

Alzius said:
DEMONOMICON OF IGGWILV: DEMOGORGON
by James Jacobs
Face the twin evils of the Prince of Demons himself: Demogorgon. Discover the depravity of his murderous cult, multiverse-spanning machinations, and the fell servants warped to his insane dual whims.

argh....I knew this was coming...(stap!)...but I really want it yesterday! I <3 s my bipolar liege lord

Shade

Monster Junkie
Alzrius said:
Ferrous Dragons, by Kevin Baase and Eric Jansing - Updated at long last from Dragon #170, the ferrous dragons return! The article opens by describing their shared traits, ecology, society (which is surprisingly cohesive, but then, all of these dragons are lawful), and level adjustments for their youngest age categories, before giving each of these true dragons a description. The dragons here are chromium, cobalt, iron, nickel, and tungsten. Sidebars cover them being "ferrous," and ferrous half-dragons. Oddly, the ferrous dragon ruler Gruaghlothor is mentioned as being in a sidebar, but said sidebar doesn't appear in the article. Here's hoping for a web enhancement!

BOZ and I will be happy to post whatever was cut once we receive our copies. :)

Birmy

Adventurer
Yet another detailed and astute review of the issue, Alzrius. I'll miss these in three issues' time. Can we get you to do something similar with Pathfinder?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Birmy said:
Yet another detailed and astute review of the issue, Alzrius. I'll miss these in three issues' time. Can we get you to do something similar with Pathfinder?

Count on it! I'm planning to keep reporting once Pathfinder (and the Digital Initiative, for that matter) are released. I'm too much of an attention-grabber to go quietly into the night. ;)

Thanks for the love! :D

Shade

Monster Junkie
Seconded. These are always among the posts I most eagerly await each month. I'm glad to hear you'll do likewise for Pathfinder. :cool:

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Alzrius said:
Top 10 Most Wanted Dragons in D&D, by Tim Hitchcock and Nicolas Logue - The top ten most infamous dragons of D&D are given here... Growf!

Is Growf! the little dragon from the Phil & Dixie strips?

Klaus

First Post
What does the midnight pupils trait do?

I wish the Core Belief articles were collected and expanded into a Faiths of Oerth book... :(

Remove ads