Skill Complications: A Combat-Like Approach to Skill Encounters

FireLance

Legend
In my view, one of the key factors that contributes to the apparently low success rate for the skill challenge system in the DMG is that skill checks are either successes or failures. As a result, for a character with a low skill modifier, it is usually a bad idea to attempt a skill check (instead of using Aid Another), as he is more likely to hurt the party than to help.

While some might consider this a feature as it encourages co-operation within the party, I feel that it effectively takes an option away from the players by making it significantly sub-optimal compared to the others. If combat ran like the skill challenge system, missing an opponent would deal damage to everyone in the party. I don't think many people would enjoy combat encounters if that was the case.

So, in developing a new skill encounter system, I looked to the combat system for inspiration. What basically happens in combat is that the PCs and their opponents take turns to attack each other. On the PCs' actions, a successful attack roll allows them to progress, either by reducing their opponents' hit points, or hindering them in some way. A failure usually does not result in direct penalties beyond the lack of progress, but it indirectly hurts the party by allowing the opponents to take more actions against them, and too many failures could mean that the opponents defeat the party before the party defeats them. This is the basic principle behind the skill complications system.

Skill Complications: The Basics
[SBLOCK]A skill complication is the basic component of a skill encounter. It represents some factor that is actively (though not necessarily consciously) working against the PCs' efforts, and which could plausibly cause them to fail. A standard skill complication is modeled after an elite monster, and overcoming one earns the PCs the same amount of experience.

Running a Skill Complication
[SBLOCK]There are basically two steps to running a skill complication. The first step is the progress phase in which the PCs take turns to make skill checks to resolve the skill complication. In this phase, a successful check results in a success. The second step is the complications phase, during which the PCs may accumulate failures if they do not succeed at their skill checks. Not all the PCs will be required to make skill checks during the complications phase. For a standard skill complication, each of the PCs may make a skill check during the progress phase, while only two PCs need to make skill checks during the complications phase. Once the complications phase is over, the PCs return to the progress phase. This continues until the PCs overcome the complication by achieving the required number of successes, or fail it by accumulating too many failures. For a standard complication, the PCs must gain eight successes before they accumulate eight failures.[/SBLOCK][/SBLOCK]
Skill Complications: Detailed Rules
[SBLOCK]This section presents detailed rules for running a skill complication, using the Negotiation scenario as a base example. However, in addition to the need to actually persuade (say) the Duke (represented by skill checks in the progress phase), the PCs also have to maintain the Duke’s interest in continued negotiations while countering arguments from his advisor (represented by skill checks in the complications phase).

Skill Check DCs
[SBLOCK]The skill checks in skill complications normally use Moderate DCs. Moderate DCs are 16 + 1/2 level in the Heroic tier, 17 + 1/2 level in the Paragon tier, and 18 + 1/2 level in the Epic tier. The one point increase in the base DC at each tier takes into account the possibility that a character may allocate some, but not all, of his ability score increases to the score relevant to his trained skill.

Some skill checks, such as checks to Aid Another, may use Easy DCs. This is a flat 12 + 1/2 level across all tiers so that an untrained character who only allocates his compulsory ability score increases to the score relevant to the skill still has a reasonable chance of success.

Some skill checks may be at Hard DCs, or the player may elect to attempt a Hard DC skill check in order to gain an additional advantage. Hard DCs are 20 + 1/2 level in the Heroic tier, 22 + 1/2 level in the Paragon tier, and 24 + 1/2 level in the Epic tier. The two point increase in the base DC at each tier is to reward focused skill users who have placed all their ability score increases in the score relevant to the skill.[/SBLOCK]
Progress Phase
[SBLOCK]In the progress phase, the PCs make skill checks to earn successes. There are generally no direct penalties for failing a skill check. During the progress phase, characters may act in any order, and may take one of the following actions:

Ordinary Skill Check
[SBLOCK]Ordinary skill checks are normally made at Moderate DCs, and earn the party one success for every successful check. The DM may allow a PC to attempt a Hard skill check in order to earn two successes, or an Easy skill check with the proviso that the party accumulates one failure if the skill check fails. Before the DM allows either of these options, he may require the player to describe how a successful Hard check would earn the extra success, or how a failed Easy check would set the party back.

Primary Skills
[SBLOCK]The DM should select three or four skills as primary skills. These are skills that can be used repeatedly during the progress phase to gain successes. If a player comes up with a creative way to use a skill to make progress, the DM may elect to make it another primary skill, or declare it to be a bonus skill (see below) that does not reduce the experience award.

Example: Bluff, Diplomacy and Insight, as per the Negotiation skill challenge.[/SBLOCK]
Bonus Skills
[SBLOCK]The DM may also select one or more bonus skills. These are skills that can only be used to gain a limited number of successes. Generally, a single bonus skill will not significantly change the difficulty of the skill complication. However, if the encounter features a number of bonus skills, the DM could either add an equal number of backlash skills (see below) or reduce the experience award by the equivalent of a minion monster of the same level for every two extra bonus skills.

Example: History, as per the Negotiation skill challenge.[/SBLOCK]
Backlash Skills
[SBLOCK]The DM may also decide that the use of some skills will result in a failure for the party, either automatically or if the PC fails a Hard skill check. As with bonus skills, a single backlash skill will not significantly change the difficulty of the skill complication. However, if the encounter features a number of backlash skills, the DM could either add an equal number of bonus skills or increase the experience award by the equivalent of a minion monster of the same level for every two extra backlash skills.

Example: Using Intimidate against the Duke, as per the Negotiation skill challenge.[/SBLOCK]
Recovery Skills
[SBLOCK]The DM may also allow certain skills to negate one or more of the party's failures. Ideally, the DM should not select one of the primary skills in order to give the other PCs a chance to contribute to the skill encounter. Recovery skills reduce the difficulty of the complication, so the DM should either use Hard DCs or reduce the experience award by the equivalent of a minion monster of the same level for every two extra recovery skills.

Example: A PC who attempts to recall or research information about the advisor may attempt a Hard Religion or Streetwise check. If the PC succeeds, he discovers information about the advisor's links to an evil cult which he can use to discredit the advisor and negate one failure that he caused.[/SBLOCK][/SBLOCK]
Aid Another
[SBLOCK]A character may Aid Another in place of making an ordinary skill check. If the character succeeds at an Easy skill check, he does not earn a success, but he may grant a +2 bonus to an ally's skill check. A character may choose to attempt a Moderate or Hard skill check while using Aid Another and grant a +4 or +6 to another character’s skill check respectively. While a character with a good chance of succeeding at a Moderate or Hard skill check is usually better off attempting an ordinary skill check instead of using Aid Another, the DM may sometimes rule that a character is unable to use his skill effectively and must work through an ally, e.g. a PC with a high Diplomacy check is unable to speak a particular language and can only increase the Diplomacy check of another PC who can.

A character may also give up his action during the progress phase to use Aid Another to increase an ally's skill check during the complications phase.[/SBLOCK][/SBLOCK]
Complications Phase
[SBLOCK]In the complications phase, the PCs make skill checks to avoid accumulating failures. Since a skill complication is modeled after an elite monster, it gets to "act" twice during this phase. While it makes tactical sense for the skill complication to continually target the PC with the weakest skills, requiring different PCs to make skill checks may make the game more enjoyable as it gets more players involved and spreads around the responsibility for (and burden of) failures. Generally, a skill check that targets a specific character should have a Moderate DC, while a skill check that any character may attempt should have a Hard DC.

Example: During the complications phase, the Duke takes one of the following actions:
[SBLOCK]"Why Are You Staring At Me?"
The Duke addresses the character who made the lowest Insight check during the last progress phase. The character must succeed at a Moderate DC Bluff or Diplomacy check to avoid accumulating a failure.

"What Did You Just Say?"
The Duke asks the character who made the lowest Bluff or Diplomacy check during the last progress phase to clarify what he just said. The character must succeed at a Moderate DC Bluff or Diplomacy check to avoid accumulating a failure.

"I Grow Weary Of This Discussion"
If none of the characters made a Bluff, Diplomacy or Insight check during the last progress phase, one character must succeed at a Hard Bluff or Diplomacy check to maintain the Duke’s interest in the negotiations and avoid accumulating a failure.[/SBLOCK]
In addition, the advisor takes one of the following actions:
[SBLOCK]"My Lord, I Sense Something Odd"
If a character attempted a Bluff check during the last progress phase, the advisor notices this and brings it to the Duke's attention. The DM may decide that the advisor does not notice a Bluff check that would have beat a Hard DC. The character must succeed at a Moderate Diplomacy or Hard Bluff check to avoid accumulating a failure. In addition, a character who fails takes a -2 penalty on checks made in the progress phase for the rest of the encounter.

"My Lord, Have You Considered This?"
The advisor tries to counter the characters' arguments by bringing up a point of law, a religious issue, or popular opinion. Any character may attempt a Moderate History, Religion or Streetwise check (as appropriate), or a Hard Diplomacy check to avoid accumulating a failure.

Passive-Aggressive Taunt
The advisor makes a personal attack on a PC and attempts to provoke him into saying something he will regret. The character must succeed at a Moderate Insight or Hard Diplomacy check to avoid accumulating a failure. In addition, a character who fails takes a -2 penalty on checks made in the complications phase for the rest of the encounter.[/SBLOCK][/SBLOCK][/SBLOCK]
Minor and Major Skill Complications
[SBLOCK]Minor skill complications are generally not recommended except for very small parties of one or two PCs. A minor skill complication is the equivalent of a normal monster for the purposes of encounter design and experience awards, acts only once during the complications phase, and requires the PCs to earn four successes before four failures.

Major skill complications are the equivalent of solo monsters for the purposes of encounter design and experience awards. The additional difficulty is modeled by requiring the PCs to earn twelve successes before six failures.[/SBLOCK]Thoughts? Comments?

Slander

Explorer
I like the idea of having the Skill Challenge "attack" the PCs as it were. The only issue I see is that the current structure makes free flow narration a little more difficult, especially in diplomatic scenarios.

I wouldn't have "phases" per say. I would simply allow the Skill Challenge to "attack" the PCs X number of times per round. It allows the DM a little more leeway managing an exchange being able to chime in with an "attack" at an appropriate moment instead of waiting until his "turn".

You can really build on a system like this. You can grant Skill Challenges "powers" (at-wills or rechargeable) that allow "interrupts", or particularly skillful "attacks" with a larger than normal bonus, or even trigger when the challenge is "bloodied" (half of the successes have been met) to adjust the difficulty without necessarily changing the underlying metrics.

... or maybe I've gone to far ;)

Szatany

First Post
This seems very complex. Why not take the idea a step further and replace successes with "hit" points? With each skill you have, in addition to having "to hit" bonus, you also have progress bonus. It starts with 1d4 + relevant ability score and can be raised with feats, etc. During a challenge, when you beat the DC, you "deal damage", or earn progress points. As soon as your team has accumulated X points before enemies accumulated Y, your team wins. Easy no?

Slander

Explorer
It's not really complex. The only real change is that instead of PCs triggering a failure, it is the Skill Challenge that can trigger a failure (by "attacking" the PCs). Otherwise, it's by-the-book get X successes before Y failures.

FireLance

Legend
Slander said:
I like the idea of having the Skill Challenge "attack" the PCs as it were. The only issue I see is that the current structure makes free flow narration a little more difficult, especially in diplomatic scenarios.

I wouldn't have "phases" per say. I would simply allow the Skill Challenge to "attack" the PCs X number of times per round. It allows the DM a little more leeway managing an exchange being able to chime in with an "attack" at an appropriate moment instead of waiting until his "turn".
Sure, that could work too. I will admit that the current structure is probably influenced by how I would prefer to run skill encounters: let the players narrate what they are doing, and then react accordingly. In the sample encounter, the Duke is more reactive, but I could see the advisor, who has his own agenda, jumping into the narrative whenever he spots a weakness (he senses a PC making a Bluff check, for example).

You can really build on a system like this. You can grant Skill Challenges "powers" (at-wills or rechargeable) that allow "interrupts", or particularly skillful "attacks" with a larger than normal bonus, or even trigger when the challenge is "bloodied" (half of the successes have been met) to adjust the difficulty without necessarily changing the underlying metrics.
Yes, I'm hoping that others may be able to build on this system as well. Skill Complication "attacks" may have other effects apart from simply accumulating failures. A failed Endurance checks during a desert survival encounter could result in the loss of healing surges, for example. I had also considered making the skill checks to counter the advisor's efforts more difficult once the PCs earned four or more successes because he increases his efforts when he sees the PCs are close to success, but I thought it would be too complicated for a basic example.

Frostmarrow

First Post
The skill challenge should test the character's defenses. Not require more skill checks. Alternatively the skill challenge could test a certain skill+10, as if it were a defense. Or passive skill as it were.

Stop Careening Cart DC:15 6/3
Succeed with 6 skill checks (nature and athletics, suggested) to stop a careening cart before it crashes.
Hang on :area:
Standard: Topple passengers due to sharp twists and turns +5 vs passive acrobatics. Fail and become prone in cart. Test passengers individually. Counts as 1 failure each.
Rocky Road :4:
Free: Fling one passenger off cart due to bumps in the road +10 vs passive athletics. Counts as 1 failure. Character takes 1d6 damage and is out.

Failure: Cart crashes and deals 2d6 damage, Ref save for half.

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
Negotiate a Better Deal DC:15 4/2
Succeed with 4 skill checks (diplomacy and bluff, suggested) to get a 20% discount on a deal with a merchant.
Sell, Sell, Sell
Standard: Talk about the fine quality and rarity of the item or service. +5 vs passive diplomacy. Must use this first. Counts as 1 failure.
Plead
Per encounter: Start whining about having to support a large family +10 vs passive intimidate. Counts as 1 failure.
Ignore Customer
Per encounter: Pack up gear and hint that all deals are off +10 vs passive insight. Counts as 1 failure.

Special: Tests are against the participant with the highest pertinent skill.
Failure: Price is set at 10% above list price.

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
Smuggle Item Through Customs DC:20 6/3
Succeed with 6 skill checks (diplomacy and stealth, suggested) to get a hot item through a check-point.
Routine Questions
Standard: Guards ask seemingly inoccuous questions to provoke uncertainty. +10 vs bluff. Counts as 1 failure.
Occular Scrutiny :2:
Free: Unseen guard try to spot signs of the hot item. +5 vs pre-rolled stealth. Counts as 1 failure.
Quick Frisk
Per encounter: Guards search over clothing and pockets. +15 vs pre-rolled stealth. Counts as 1 failure.

Special: When the hot item is hidden, a stealth check should be made to establish how well hidden it is. The DM should grant a bonus thanks to player ingenuity, if applicable.
Failure: The characters are taken aside and the item is produced.

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
Save a Drowning Man DC:15 8/4
Succeed with 8 skill checks (athletics and endurance, suggested) to save a man from drowning.
Currents and Waves
Standard: Conceal man from view with the weaving surface. +5 vs passive perception. Counts as 1 failure.
Or: Oppose rescuer's swim attempts if the man is grabbed. +5 vs passive athletics. Counts as 1 failure.
Dragged Under :6:
Interrupt: Keep the man out of reach by dragging him down into the cold black water. +10 vs passive athletics (swimming). Counts as 1 failure.
Panic!
Per encounter: Drag rescuer down along. +10 vs Fort. 1d6 damage. Counts as 1 failure.

Special: Tests are against the participant with the highest pertinent skill.
Failure: The man resurfaces further down river a couple of hours later. Dead as a fish.

Last edited:

Remove ads