OGL Alternatives: Alternate Advancement System

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Note: I received a free copy of this product for review purposes.

The seven page pdf delves into awarding session points to players involved in campaigns for DM’s that use this option. The product has a cover and the obligational open game license at the end, making the rest of the five pages of the product, the text the fills it.

Right away the product delves into the basics of how the alternate system works, starting with the basics. Instead of gaining experience points, players that play under this optional system gain session points. Usually 40 session points comprise of one level. The session points have to be spent in order to gain a level. However, the author does include an advancement rate for GMs that wish to speed up or slow down level advancement.

Session points are made up of Award Components. Award components are thereby broken down into several groups. The groups are comprised of any of the following options the GM wishes to use; Attendance, Challenge, Cinematic Action, Diplomacy, Forward Motion, Heroism, Learning Curve, Participation, Roleplaying, Story Goals, Teamwork and Written Contribution. Additionally there are Penalty components as well. These components are; Rules Debates, Side Commentary, Lone Wolf and Dirty Gamer.

These award components and penalties can drive a player to get the most out of their character, and play it to the absolute best of their ability. As I stated before, session points are used to gain levels, and the more a player roleplays their character to the absolute best of their ability, the more session points they will earn in a gaming session. GMs that feel that some players are taking a backseat to the game, and aren’t contributing to the fun of the game may not receive as many session points as other players.

I would break down the components and how they work, but that is pretty much most of how this alternative system is used, and I don’t want to give it all away. I will say that based on how things might occur in a game under this system turn out and the more of the components that are used the more likely the characters are likely gain session points. Using this freeform system as opposed to the basic experience points can vastly speed up the amount of time it takes to gain levels.

The author doesn’t forget that occasionally experience points are needed for different reasons (casting certain spells, crafting magic items). That is easily taken care of with a breakdown of how to convert session points into experience points and vice versa.

If GMs want to, they use both this system with the experience system together using the conversion formula included. In this way, session points and experience points can be used together and not detract from having the player’s worry about the mathematics involved in figuring the amount of session points that equate to experience points.

Conclusion
This product is well though out and given meticulous detail. While I would give the product five stars, the settings on the pdf do not allow users to copy and paste any of the contents within it. Therefore I give the the product four stars.

Remove ads