Keanu Reeves is Spike Spiegel-- Whoa..!

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
My desire to watch the live Action Cowboy Bebop has dropped to 50%. All they need is Dakota Fanning as ED and a CGI Ein to insure that I'm not going to watch it at all.

By Borys Kit

Jan 15, 2009, 05:45 PM ET

Twentieth Century Fox is bringing the Japanese anime TV series "Cowboy Bebop" to the big screen, with Keanu Reeves attached to star as a bounty hunter traveling through space in 2071.

One of the big titles in anime, "Bebop" is set in a time where "astral gates" make interstellar travel possible. Humanity, decimated by a lunar explosion resulting from a gate accident, spread out across the solar system, as did crime, which gave rise to the use of bounty hunters.

Reeves would play Spike Spiegel, a bounty hunter and former member of a crime syndicate. Spiegel, along with Jet Black, a fellow bounty hunter and former cop, are the two pilots of the spaceship Bebop.

Peter Craig is writing the script.

The show, which first aired on Tokyo TV and satcaster Wowow during the late 1990s, was strongly influenced by American music, even featuring action sequences -- both space battles and mano a mano -- timed to U.S. melodies.

Reeves' association with the project leaked in the summer when Fox and 3 Arts Entertainment began the process of acquiring the rights from Sunrise Studios.

Erwin Stoff, Reeves' longtime manager, is producing through 3 Arts. Joshua Long will serve as executive producer.

Sunrise president Kenji Uchida, the TV series' director of animation, Shinichiro Watanabe, and series writer Keiko Nobumoto will serve as associate producers. Series producer Masahiko Minami will serve as production consultant.

"Bebop" marks a return to Fox for the CAA-repped Reeves, who starred in the studio's December release "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
...words cannot describe how horrified, disgusted, and saddened I am right now.

Maybe if the absolute worst are stockpiled together to make the move super-duper-how'd you :):):):) up that badly?-not worth a warm bucket of pee terrible, when it inevitably bombs people won't blame the material and it'll have a prayer of seeing another attempt down the road. So... it needs a director. Uwe Boll or Brett Ratner? Why not both?

Hammerhead

Explorer
I think it's a solid choice. Spike Spiegel's emotional range and Keanu's match up pretty closely, and Keanu certainly looks right for the role.

horacethegrey

First Post
You know, Keanu can be decent in a movie provided with the right script and the right direction. And I've no doubts on his martial prowess, as he proved in the Matrix sequels how good he can be. Though I do wonder if he can pull off Jeet Kune Do onscreen convincingly.

But still, I'm wary of this whole affair, as this is a live action adaptation of a beloved anime tv series. Remember what happened the last time? (*cough*Speed Racer*cough*) But if they pull this off, I'll be the first in line at the theater. :)

Mallus

Legend
...Spike Spiegel's emotional range and Keanu's match up pretty closely...
Bingo!

horacethegrey said:
Remember what happened the last time? (*cough*Speed Racer*cough*)
I remember that the Watchowskis made a criminally unappreciated film that added whole new words and phrases to the language of cinema (note: the previous sentence is entirely devoid of irony). A shallow masterpiece.

Then again, Pauline Kael called Citizen Kane the same thing.

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Bingo!

I remember that the Watchowskis made a criminally unappreciated film that added whole new words and phrases to the language of cinema (note: the previous sentence is entirely devoid of irony). A shallow masterpiece.

Then again, Pauline Kael called Citizen Kane the same thing.

Yeah but you have to remember that the Watchowskis made the Matrix in the late 1990s and played into people fears of the Y2k crisis. The special effects in those movies were cutting edge and revolutionized the entire special effects industry. The movie was also overly hyped, and sold to the public as being significant for its philosophy, which unfortunately people foolishly bought into it.

Last edited:

Remove ads