The real flaw of 3E/3.5E/OGL

Fenes

First Post
I get that. But it's also important to acknowledge that they accomplished that by eliminating high level play.

Yes, in 4th Edition the numbers keep getting bigger. But the actual abilities that defined high level play in all previous editions of the game were simply removed.

4th Edition took a narrow range of the gameplay available in previous editions, called it the "sweet spot", and then spread it out over 30 levels. And, hey, if that was your one-and-only sweet spot, then that's fantastic.

If it wasn't, then you're screwed.

I haven't thought about it that way yet, that's a very good point.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I haven't thought about it that way yet, that's a very good point.

I can agree with it, too. If your favorite thing was games that had to take into account lots of world-spanning teleports & dimension travel, save-or-screwed spells, the war between extremely powerful scrys and divinations and their countermeasures, and the tactics that accompany all these things, then 4e is going to disappoint you as-is.

Aeolius

Adventurer
The problem with 3E/3.5E, especially combined with the OGL is that it is not one single game. What I mean by this, is that different groups could use the system to play games that could be wholly different than the games played by other groups.

I side with those who consider this to be a strength, not a weakness. Some DMs prefer combat-heavy, others prefer combat-light. Some prefer Greyhawk, FR, or Eberron, while others prefer a homebrew world. Some want to keep to the core rules, while others want to incorporate every splatbook known to mankind. Some DMs might even want to run an entire campaign underwater. ;) It's all D&D.

"D&D is a game about slaying horrible monsters, not a game about traipsing off through fairy rings and interacting with the little people." - James Wyatt, "Races and Classes" (pg. 34)

I respectfully disagree. If "killing things and taking their stuff" was the sole focus of D&D, I'd be playing canasta right about now.

carmachu

Explorer
What you calla weakness or a flaw, others see as a strength or a huge selling point. The fact taht OGL had such huge variety meant I caould find or play almost anything.

Now we're playing in Ptolus, and frankly you will never see such a GREAT product in 4e or any other edition. Variety, as someone once said, is a spice of life.

Greg K

Legend
I can agree with it, too. If your favorite thing was games that had to take into account lots of world-spanning teleports & dimension travel, save-or-screwed spells, the war between extremely powerful scrys and divinations and their countermeasures, and the tactics that accompany all these things, then 4e is going to disappoint you as-is.

All of those listed except save-or-screw were among my least favorite things or held no interetst for me (save or screw,imo, just needed a slight reworking). Yet, I still find 4e disappointing as-is (despite liking a few changes). :p

Ranger REG

Explorer
I think we should stop trying to define "D&D" by any one edition/playstyle/ruleset, and start defining "D&D" as a "genre".
It's a platform, like Windows or Mac OS. Games (and settings) vary (from Fallout 3 RPG style to Star Wars: KOTOR) but still play on the same platform.

Ariosto

First Post
The computer-platform analogy may illuminate a cause of "edition wars."

I at last gave up on the Commodore 64 because it cost more to get a floppy drive repaired than to buy a used one still in decent shape -- but availability of the latter shrank as (A) people started just to dump them and (B) the remainder were on average in ever worse condition.

Assuming, though, that such hardware troubles were not relevant, I could still run all the same software. A fair number of other computers 20+ years old are still in use, and even more potentially usable.

The main impetus for an upgrade is the desire to run newer programs.

Remove ads