RPGshop.com sells "precision" dice; but are they Gamescience brand?

FungiMuncher

First Post
I ordered a set of glow-in-the-dark dice (CHX 23095) and got them a few days ago. While it certainly has Chessex on the box label, at the bottom is says "Dice made in USA by Gamescience"

I ordered a set of glow-in-the-dark dice (CHX 23095) and got them a few days ago. While it certainly has Chessex on the box label, at the bottom is says "Dice made in USA by Gamescience"
Hmm... I believe you, but it still strikes me as a bit of a revelation that Chessex is now selling Gamescience's dice. (These appear to be less expensive, too.)

Gorrstagg

First Post
You know why it doesn't surprise me.

Zeitgeist, for gamers in the know.

After seeing the video of General Zocci, and getting a bit past his histrionics of the sale, the simple truth that is being said, ultimately, that any given non-precision dice is not random well, that should bug players.

That people are inadvertently rolling eggs in a sense really causes you to pay attention.

I now almost only use a dice rolling program to roll my dice, (I DM almost exclusively, as it saves time, and speeds up play.) and let my players use dice rolling programs as well, and it gets more accurate randomness as it were.

But this last game day, a couple that was playing in my game each had gamescience dice they had actually bought there at the Source™. And when I mentioned it to them, they went and found me two sets. Mind you they were the Chessex version but say Gamescience™ on them. So I bought a set for one of my players, and gave the other set to a friend to buy that day as well.

The point, it was like the shifting of the tide, when we realized we were using, inaccurate dice, well, a door opened, and fair balances rushed in to remind us that's just not cool.

I'm just glad to see they have the new dice now, and can't wait for them to become significantly mainstream, and have them kill the other dice.

Hurray! Great news! I'll be ordering up a few of these ASAP.

...Now I only have to worry about the fact that my (newbie) DM just bought himself a spindown dice to use.

Okay, well it's good to know that Chessex is now selling Gamescience dice... but they've only got seven colours, and many stores appear to be out of stock. (The Chessex site picture also shows a yellow and an orange set of "precision edge" dice, but none of the dice it lists are of those colours.)

What's going on!? Why are Gamescience dice so hard to get ahold of?

WalterKovacs

First Post
Mrrh. . . what the heck are spindown dice? Yes, there's always Google. No, I don't always prefer it to just asking someone directly. :)

It's mostly used for countdowns. They are used in Magic as life counters. For ease of use, the numbers are close together, so with only a small move, you go from 20 to 19, etc. Because of this, the high numbers and low numbers are clustered together and thus it is possible to try to force the roll high or low.

Remove ads