Fey vs Shadow

Baz King

Explorer
I'm planning out a new campaign. In essence it comes down to this: The Feywild and the Shadowfell go to war.

I'm going to take 30 levels to get to the end of this story, but you don't have to. Who wins? and why?

Jack99

Adventurer
Shadowfell wins, because it more fun when the bad guys win! ;)

Actually, I have no clue, but wanted to subscribe because the idea sounds like it could be great.

It ends in a wedding between Queen Oona of the Faeries and Baron Ravendark of the Shadar-Kai. Then things in the material plane get really weird. We're talking, like, David Bowie in Labyrinth weird.

I am pretty sure the material plane loses.

I think that is an understatement...everybody lose this war. Infact that is the angle I would take it in. I would start with PCs chooseing one side (witch ever they like) then slowly show the evils of that plane, and the good of the other...somewhere at eraly Paragon I would have a sage of some sort show them what the "good" side they chose is doing...and make it the most vile evil thing you can imagin...then when they stop that and are ready to switch sides do the same thing with the other side...showing there is no GOOD side...both have good and bad, and both are going to wage a war no one wins...
I would then spend the rest of paragon levels runing interferance from both sides, trying to stop the war and make both sides rulers realize it has no good endeing...by epic levels (If everything worked out) I would have it be a three way war...witht eh PCs fighting for the survival of the multi verse...

See babylon 5 shadow war for inperations...

fba827

Adventurer
fey vs shadow, and the material plane becomes the stage for the majority of the conflicts (it's easier for fey to get to the material and from there get to shadow, and same for shadow... so they'd both be meeting at the material plane).
Plus some story ideas around each side trying to gather allies or bases on the material plane for their eventual spill in to the opposing plane.

Who wins? Whichever side has fewer troops, allies, strongholds, and supplies. The PCs will probably factor in helping one side or the other... helping them secure things. so the winning side should be the side with the PCs (you know, to make them feel like they matter to the plot :) )

But on a non-PC-involved level, I'd say either side has as much ability to win as the other.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
One big advantage the Shadowfell has, is they get your dead. They don't need to interrogate someone when their alive they can just necrotic energy nuke a area. Then when all those souls go to the Shadowfell trap them somewhere where the Gods won't see them and interrogate them for all their worth.

You could also send those back at your foes; spirits, zombies, etc. The Shadowfell has a endless supply of troops.

Lancelot

Adventurer
One big advantage the Shadowfell has, is they get your dead. They don't need to interrogate someone when their alive they can just necrotic energy nuke a area. Then when all those souls go to the Shadowfell trap them somewhere where the Gods won't see them and interrogate them for all their worth.

You could also send those back at your foes; spirits, zombies, etc. The Shadowfell has a endless supply of troops.

...although you could also say that fey spirits are immortal, and simply reform as they are killed. I know that some older D&D products suggested that a slain fairy/pooka/sidhe/etc simply reincarnates when destroyed (similar to how devas are constantly reborn in PH2).

That would make an interesting dynamic. Endless undead hordes vs eternally reincarnating fey locked in a no-win conflict that can only be broken by the intervention of mortal agents.

Personally, I like RangerWickett's earlier suggestion of ending it with a crazy marriage, or some other form of peace. The total defeat of either side would take a lot away from the setting, whereas a "no winners" bloodbath or stalemate seems cliched and/or anticlimactic.

Either way, I'd make sure to have good guys and bad guys on both sides. The formorians make excellent evil masterminds on the fey side (perhaps with eladrin dupes who, with the best of intentions, want to see the scourge of the undead wiped out forever), while there could equally be noble shadar-kai and sorrowsworn who are seeking an end to the war on the shadow side.

Hereticus

First Post
Fey vs Shadow

I'm planning out a new campaign. In essence it comes down to this: The Feywild and the Shadowfell go to war.

I'm going to take 30 levels to get to the end of this story, but you don't have to. Who wins? and why?

Simple... the side that you as DM wants to win.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases