Fey vs Shadow

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I'm planning out a new campaign. In essence it comes down to this: The Feywild and the Shadowfell go to war.

I'm going to take 30 levels to get to the end of this story, but you don't have to. Who wins? and why?
This sounds cool.

Where do the PC's fit in?

I think the fey win, eventually. They have centuries of plotting and scheming and manipulation experience. :stir:

ppaladin123

Adventurer
The fey use a lot of charm and psychic powers that the undead of the shadowfell are immune/resistant to. That might tip the scales in favor of the shadowfell denizens.

This might be like planar rock-paper-scissors(-lizard-spock) if you include the material plane, the astral sea and the elemental chaos.:)

Belorin

Explorer
In a war on the primal plane between the fey and shadow, the primal plane will suffer the most, but the feywild and the shadowfell suffer as they slowly desrtoy the portals leading to the primal plane.
This has two effects, the feywild and shadowfell start to fade as they realize their planes are but reflections of the primal and magic gets harder to use, due to the loss of access to the other planes.
Divine, Elemental, Ki, Martial, Primal and Psionics continue as normal, but Arcane and Shadow, become echoes of there former power.

Bel

Kaodi

Hero
I would say that Feywild wins because:

A) Everyone must have had enough of the Shadowfell trying to be badass by now.

B) In game context, siding with the crazy mysterious people who may drive you insane will probably be an easier sell than siding with the goth undead people people who will make you... dead.

C) As much as it may be nice to get to reinforce yourselves with the fallen, the fact remains that it is probably easier for the fey to bend the living world to their will. Plants and animals are easily manipulated by them. And incidentally, controlling probably expends less energy than killing and re-animating.

D) As player characters go, their are more options for playing Fey characters. If you go Shadowfell, you are pretty much Shadar-Kai, or... Shadar-Kai. Maybe Dhampir if you have that issue of Dragon.

E) There are more possibilities with the Fey winning. With the Shadowfell winning, everyone becomes dead, or undead. Puts serious brakes on potential continuance of the plot into other campaigns.

F) Equally arbitrary sounding premise.

G) More of F.

H) Et cetera.

I always have this image of an Eladrin city that makes Worldfall - and founds itself besieged by an unknown foe. Or an Eladrin City escaping a siege via Worldfall.

Something like that. Whoever wins, you need to use this concept. ;)

The side wins that has the PCs succesfully working for it. E.g., the PCs pick a side at some point, they work for the plane, and if they succeed, their plane succeeds, if they fail, their plane fails.

Alternatively - no one wins, at least not if the PCs do the "right" thing and organize a peace treaty once they learn that the costs of an ongoing war would be catastrophic to the entire world. (Possibly in the mean time trying to rescue innocents and fight local tyrannies caused by the war.)

Baz King

Explorer
Cool. Good to see there's no obvious answer to the question. Looks like the PCs will be the catalysts, and that's exactly what I wanted...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I have something similar, but less defined, in my game: eladrin are fleeing the Feywild as it loses ground to an unknown shadowy enemy. Fey who would rather flee and fight, or who have fought and lost, come to the mortal world. This gives me an interesting possibility for my enemy.

Yeah, I'm sort of ripping off the comic book Fables. Shh. Different adversary, anyways. :)

Cadfan

First Post
Neither side wins. The PCs win. They start on one side but eventually become their own side as they approach epic tier and start being capable of killing gods.

Remove ads