Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Shade

Monster Junkie
We were finishing the composite mummies, and had decided upon two remaining ones...

Jackal Composite Mummy: LN, protection from chaos, dictum or order's wrath

Typhonic Beast Composite Mummy: LE, rebuke undead, protection from good, unholy blight or blasphemy

Croc: Str 27, Dex 13, Con —, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 15
Hippo: Str 30, Dex 11, Con —, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 15

For these two, maybe Str 23, Dex 15, Con —, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 17?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Abilities are ok by me! If we want to differentiate them, we could make the jackal have an extra +2 Dex, the typhonic beast +2 Str or something.

And let's give them both rebuke/command undead.

Cleon

Legend
That sounds reasonable to me. Cleon?

Hmm...

I'm leaning towards giving them the same ability scores. If we do go for different stats, I'd prefer a bigger difference - say give the Typhonic Beast the same physical stats as the Croc Mummy.

Let's say Str 25 and Dex 15. They should have a Strength at least a token point higher than a regular Str 24 Mummy, since they're Large. The Mental stats look fine, although I'd be tempted to drop Int to the standard 12, partly because I think they're more creatures of faith than intellect, but mostly to reduce the amount of skill-point juggling.

So, we've got.

Jackal: Str 23, Dex 17, Con —, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 17
Typhonic: Str 25, Dex 17, Con —, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 17

or

Jackal/Typhonic: Str 23, Dex 15, Con —, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 17

or

Jackal/Typhonic: Str 25, Dex 15, Con —, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 17or

or
Jackal: Str 25, Dex 15, Con —, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 17
Typhonic: Str 27, Dex 13, Con —, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 17

Shade

Monster Junkie
Agreed.

Added the jackal mummy to Homebrews.

Jackals and dire jackals in Sandstorm have a +4 racial bonus on Jump checks, Track as a bonus feat, and a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent. Do we want to retain any or all of that?

I increased the land speed for these mummies since they lack the swim speed of the other two, and jackals and dire jackals are swift.

For those without Sandstorm, the jackal is simply a dog with different flavor text, while a dire jackal is a dire wolf dropped to 4 HD, with a different skill set.

Remove ads