Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Shade

Monster Junkie
I had suggested borrowing this...

Curse of the Jackal (Su): Once per day, a jackal lord can make a gaze attack against a single opponent within 30 feet. If the target fails a Will save (DC 20), it is transformed into a jackal (use the statistics for the dog in the Monster Manual). The effect is as baleful polymorph, but with a permanent duration. A jackal lord can reverse this effect by gazing upon an individual that was cursed by itself or by some other jackal lord, but doing so counts as its use of the ability for that day. Otherwise, only a limited wish, miracle, or wish can restore the victim.

...but I think that pushes it too far over-the-top compared to the others.

Cleon

Legend
I had suggested borrowing this...

Curse of the Jackal (Su): Once per day, a jackal lord can make a gaze attack against a single opponent within 30 feet. If the target fails a Will save (DC 20), it is transformed into a jackal (use the statistics for the dog in the Monster Manual). The effect is as baleful polymorph, but with a permanent duration. A jackal lord can reverse this effect by gazing upon an individual that was cursed by itself or by some other jackal lord, but doing so counts as its use of the ability for that day. Otherwise, only a limited wish, miracle, or wish can restore the victim.

...but I think that pushes it too far over-the-top compared to the others.

Well I can sympathize that it may be a little more than the others, but I would like to keep it. It's only 1/day, after all.

Now, we were going to give it a weapon attack (black ankh) plus a bite instead of a claw/claw/bite routine. I seem to remember suggesting we treat it as a Large battleaxe (e.g. 2d6 damage, triple damage criticals) it can make iterative attacks with.

So, I'm thinking the Black Ankh would be some kind of manifestation of the Mummy's enchantment, so it could manifest it at will and it would dissolve when slain.

Should it have enhancement bonuses?

Should it transmit the mummy's rot as if it was a natural weapon, or have some other power?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We can reduce the duration if we're reallky worried about the curse being too powerful.

The ankh is a good idea, too. Maybe we should give the curse to the jackal one and the ankh to the typhonic beast one.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Skills: 5 at 19 ranks

Feats: Multiattack, Track (B), 5 more

Fill in the Xs...

Organization: Solitary, x (1-2 plus 2-4 mummies), x (1-2 plus 6-24 jackals plus 3-12 dire jackals plus x-x mummies), or divine council (3d4 composite mummies of various types)

Jackal composite mummies stand x feet tall and weigh x pounds.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Diplomacy, Hide, Knowledge (religion), Move Silently, Sense Motive?

For org: family, pack with 4-8 mummies.

Remove ads