• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Why don't we get the jackal one done first, then worry about the typhonic beast?

Dropping the curse is ok.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Now, we were going to give it a weapon attack (black ankh) plus a bite instead of a claw/claw/bite routine. I seem to remember suggesting we treat it as a Large battleaxe (e.g. 2d6 damage, triple damage criticals) it can make iterative attacks with.

So, I'm thinking the Black Ankh would be some kind of manifestation of the Mummy's enchantment, so it could manifest it at will and it would dissolve when slain.

Should it have enhancement bonuses?

Should it transmit the mummy's rot as if it was a natural weapon, or have some other power?

Agreed to splitting the gaze and the black ankh. For the typhonic mummy, I definitely support the ankh channeling mummy rot.

We can use this ability as a basis and build from there:

Summon Weapon (Su): An aurumach can be armed in an instant by magically summoning a golden, Huge +3 halberd. When separated from the aurumach, the weapon vanishes. An aurumach can summon or dispel its own weapon as a free action.

So maybe...

Summon Weapon (Su): A jackal composite mummy can be armed in an instant by magically summoning a black ankh. This functions as a +x battleaxe. The black ankh also exposes anyone struck to the jackal composite mummy's mummy rot ability. When separated from the mummy, the weapon vanishes. A jackal composite mummy can summon or dispel its own weapon as a free action.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Skills: 95 ranks

Diplomacy, Hide, Knowledge (religion), Move Silently, Sense Motive?

Lets work some ranks in Jump and Survival in there as well, to go with their racial bonuses.

Diplomacy 13, Hide 17, Jump 13, Knowledge (religion) 13, Move Silently 13, Sense Motive 13, Survival 13?

Feats: Multiattack, Track (B), 5 more

Jackal composite mummies stand x feet tall and weigh x pounds.

Cleon

Legend
Summon Weapon (Su): A jackal composite mummy can be armed in an instant by magically summoning a black ankh. This functions as a +x battleaxe. The black ankh also exposes anyone struck to the jackal composite mummy's mummy rot ability. When separated from the mummy, the weapon vanishes. A jackal composite mummy can summon or dispel its own weapon as a free action.

That was the sort of thing I was thinking of, although I'd make it a move action rather than a free action, just like drawing a weapon.
Summon Ankh (Su): A jackal composite mummy can be armed in an instant by magically summoning a black ankh. This weapon functions as a +1 axiomatic battleaxe. The black ankh also exposes anyone struck to the jackal composite mummy's mummy rot ability.

A jackal composite mummy can summon or dismiss its own ankh as a move action, or as a free action if it has the Quick Draw feat, just as if it were drawing or sheathing an ordinary weapon. The black ankh can be targeted by disarm and sunder attacks as normal. The weapon vanishes if it is destroyed oe separated from the mummy for more than a round, but a jackal composite mummy can then summon an undamaged black ankh to appear.
Or we could split the difference by giving it the above SA plus the Quick Draw feat?

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I think +1 axiomatic is fine.

My original though was to make it something that harms the living, like a +1 wounding ankh, but axiomatic is a nice fit for a chaos-quelling proxy of Anubis.

Although we could have the Jackal composite mummy summon a True Ankh (= +1 axiomatic battleaxe) for smiting chaos, and the Typhonic composite mummy summon a Black Ankh, a perversion of the symbol which ruins the living rather than safeguards them (= +1 wounding battleaxe)?

Cleon

Legend
Diplomacy 13, Hide 17, Jump 13, Knowledge (religion) 13, Move Silently 13, Sense Motive 13, Survival 13?

While I like the idea of Jump but I don't think it needs that many points in it, and it badly needs a decent score in Spot and Listen. Problem is, that would leave it short elsewhere.

Maybe we'll have to bite the bullet and give it an Int of 14 plus higher racial bonuses in stealth desert skills (+4 in Hide, Listen, Move Silently and Spot?), so it has sneak-skills roughly the same as the other composite mummies?

Let's see, Int 14 would give it another 19 SP for 114 in total.

We could divide that into Diplomacy 12, Hide 15, Jump 4, Knowledge (religion) 17, Listen 17, Move Silently 9, Sense Motive 16, Spot 17, Survival 7.

Apply the higher racial bonuses given above and we get:
Skills: Diplomacy +16, Hide +17, Jump +15, Knowledge (religion) +20, Listen +23, Move Silently +15, Sense Motive +21, Spot +23, Survival +10 (+14 track by scent)
That looks OK to me. If we want them a bit higher we can tweak the racial bonuses a bit more or give it skill-boosting feats like Alertness or Stealthy.

Feats: Multiattack, Track (B), 5 more

I'd prefer to drop Multiattack and have it focus more on fighting with its Ankh.

I'd certainly give it Ability Focus (mummy scourge), Lightning Reflexes and Power Attack like the other composite mummies.

Use the other three feats for Ability Focus (despair), Combat Reflexes and Weapon Focus (black ankh)?
Feats: Ability Focus (despair), Ability Focus (mummy scourge), Combat Reflexes, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (black ankh)
Jackal composite mummies stand x feet tall and weigh x pounds.

Taller than a Sobek-mummy but the same weight, so it looks skinnier?
Jackal composite mummies stand 12 feet tall and weigh 500 pounds.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That was the sort of thing I was thinking of, although I'd make it a move action rather than a free action, just like drawing a weapon.
But it's magic, shouldn't it be better than drawing a weapon like normal? ;) I could go with splitting the difference, though I think that's a lot of text for a simple ability.

Although we could have the Jackal composite mummy summon a True Ankh (= +1 axiomatic battleaxe) for smiting chaos, and the Typhonic composite mummy summon a Black Ankh, a perversion of the symbol which ruins the living rather than safeguards them (= +1 wounding battleaxe)?
I think this is spot-on!

Let's see, Int 14 would give it another 19 SP for 114 in total.
I'm undecided on the higher Int.

Feats: Ability Focus (despair), Ability Focus (mummy scourge), Combat Reflexes, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (black ankh)
Looks good, and so does the size.

Remove ads