• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd rather not boost the Int, as it is already dangerously close to being superior to the other composite mummies. We can just give it a decent racial bonus to Listen and Spot (although I don't really see why it needs super high Listen and Spot). We could replace Lightning Reflexes with Alertness if necessary, too.

Let's keep the weapon a free action. For one, it's consistent with other creatures that can "summon" weapons. Secondly, it makes for a cool visual of the jackal mummy charging a foe, suddenly manifesting a weapon, than swinging it at them all in a single round.

The feats look good, barring the possible swap of Lightning Reflexes with Alertness.

The height/weight appeal.

Cleon

Legend
I'd rather not boost the Int, as it is already dangerously close to being superior to the other composite mummies. We can just give it a decent racial bonus to Listen and Spot (although I don't really see why it needs super high Listen and Spot). We could replace Lightning Reflexes with Alertness if necessary, too.

Well it's not so much I feel it needs super-high Listen & Spot so much as I think they ought to have the same sensory skill and Knowledge (religion) bonuses as the other mummies, which have +20 to +23 in those skills.

I'd be fine keeping them Int 12, but feel we need to cut down some of the other skills. I wouldn't feel bad about cutting its Diplomacy down, and just giving it a few ranks in Survival so it isn't much better at tracking than an SRD dire wolf.

Hmm, maybe rather than specializing in Hiding like a hippo or croc, the Jackal-headed sneaks up silently in the darkness. They could have a black skin which gives them a racial bonus to Hide in darkness.

So, putting Int back to 12 for 95 spell points.

Provisionally saying racial bonuses of +2 on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive and Spot checks, a +4 on Jump checks, together with +4 on Survival checks to track by scent and +8 on Hide checks when in darkness.

Divide ranks as follows:

Diplomacy 5, Hide 7, Jump 4, Knowledge (religion) 17, Listen 17, Move Silently 9, Sense Motive 16, Spot 17, Survival 3.

That works out to:
Skills: Diplomacy +10, Hide +7* (+13 in darkness), Jump +15, Knowledge (religion) +20, Listen +22, Move Silently +13, Sense Motive +21, Spot +22, Survival +6* (+10 track by scent)
That gives it four key "composite mummy skills" (shown in gold) at equivalent levels to the other mummies, an effective +13 in stealth and Diplomacy and Stealth skills which are a bit weak for CR-appropriate challenges, but perfectly adequate for run of the mill tasks.

Cleon

Legend
Let's keep the weapon a free action. For one, it's consistent with other creatures that can "summon" weapons. Secondly, it makes for a cool visual of the jackal mummy charging a foe, suddenly manifesting a weapon, than swinging it at them all in a single round

That's OK by me.:lol:

Besides, you know I'll just use my proposed rules for my own version of the composite mummies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added typhonic beast mummy to Homebrews to begin work.

Were we changing the name of the black ankh to was scepter for the typhonic?

What stats are we giving the typhonic beast for alternate form? What shall it summon and be associated with on the organization line?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm happy enough with the jackal.

We should definitely change the name of the ankh.

As for alternate form and the summons, we should change it, but I don't know what to just yet.

Cleon

Legend

I'd fix the dire jackal form stats so they match the mummy in canid form rather than the actual dog, but apart from that it looks good.

Were we changing the name of the black ankh to was scepter for the typhonic?

I thought we were.

What stats are we giving the typhonic beast for alternate form? What shall it summon and be associated with on the organization line?

Well the Typhonic Beast is a weird lion/dog/jackass hybrid, so how about a Leucrotta from Monsters of Faerûn? Or, failing that, give it the same stats as a lion.

Remove ads