Encouraging Player Curiousity

I'm stumped. My group of players just does not show any curiousity about the setting (Eberron) or the background of the campaign or really trying to interact with the world. And they really seem to be in a straight-jacket with doing only what's on their charachter sheets, despite the fact that I'm pretty open to bending and loosley interpreting the rules.

Having asked some of my players, they have stated that they don't have time to read the campaign setting (that's not a problem to me and I don't expect them to) and the world feels so "big" that they don't know where to start. And they want to ask "good" questions.

We've been playing this campaign for more than a year, and even so, it hasn't improved.

The players are happy with the game as it is, I think. But I am happiest when my players are keeping me on my toes and asking or trying things I don't expect.

So please share some ideas on what I can do to get my players asking questions and trying new things.

Janx

Hero
all that world background is useless if it doesn't have any bearing on what's actually going on in the game.

If the PCs want something from Cavern Lake, tie it to a legend about the place, such that the legend has clues about the dangers, and about the location of the MacGuffin. Without which, they probably won't get what they want (but not necessarily get themselves killed, so they can try again later.

Make stuff about stuff and tie it to the PCs.

Otherwise, big piles of background info that never comes up is a waste of ink.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'd try keeping them in a small town for a bit, a town where most of the people are friendly and interested enough in them to adopt them as "their" heroes. Use the town as a base, and reward any interest in the town with palpable advantages (Ask about the tavern owner? Get free beer!) Have their adventures be talked about. Let them see how their presence is changing things in town for the better.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Oh and everything has a secret and every secret is a plot hook to more adventure.

But I think this problem is widespread. Most DND groups are made up of casuals, who enjoy the fantasy trappings, killing things and taking their stuff. I've had problems encouraging my group to investigate things in the world and it can be a little frustrating.

I've had to learn to step back and just enjoy the game the group is playing and not the way I want it to be, sometimes you are just lumbered with so-so players. <sigh>

A

amerigoV

I run Eberron as well. I view the setting as a backdrop to the adventure and just "paint" a few details in over time. They have interacted with enough of the Houses to know they exist, and even have an idea what they do ("out of wands of CxW, lets go to the Healer House"). Subtle repetitions help.

I just highlight the Eberrony-ness of the situation ("you know an adventure is about to start - it is a dark, rainy night in Sharn!"). I do not worry about if they do not suddenly talk the Eberron Lingo. I feel it gives some richness and depth to whatever I am running by adding a few details. If they bite, great. If not, there are still plenty of critters to kill. I just point out where their characters might care ("this guy is from House X, your character would know it means Y").

WoTC did not help though. The setting wants to the Emerald Claw to be the Nazi's of the world - sort of a 1930s style pulp villian group. But the early adventures they just do not come across very well. And it is just hard to be scared of a bunch of Emerald dudes. The EC seems to be the villian in EVERY published adventure (even Ravenloft, the Eberron plot hook was the fricken EC after the Book of Strahd--- give it a rest). So now my group mocks the Emerald Claw. They love to spread false rumors about the EC, and I just sit back and enjoy it since their overuse in the publish adventures annoyed me. Now, the EC always make an appearance in an adventure even if it does not fit so the group can mock them (think Monte Python, a group of green guys bursting in and shouting "No one expects the Emerald Claw!!").

Grymar

Explorer
Try making a short newspaper, it worked for my group. The key is to get them involved in the setting by included them in the world. Let them know that they are making a change while getting them to read about the rest of the setting.

Main Article - Some world event that doesn't directly involve the PCs. Aundair and Thrane are moving troops to the border. Dhakaani soldiers are massing to move against Lhesh Haruuc. A Zil airship disappears on its maiden voyage.

Next Article - Something the players did...make them look good. "Heroes save the village" etc. Praise them.

Next Article - A mystery that ties into the setting. "Jorasco Heir Kills Patient - His Dragonmark Inexplicably Cast Inflict Rather than Cure" Give the players an opening to want to investigate. Maybe they've met the Jorasco in the story and were recently cured by him.

Next Article - Something Interactive - "Sharn Watch Auctioning Off Recovered Items" The party can go and bid on everything from china sets to homes. They can even bribe the auction officials or buy something that someone else REALLY wants back.

Want Ads - Your chance to drop a few funny or small hooks. "Rat Killers Wanted - Ye Olde Inn has rats in the basement. Seeking plucky young adventurers seeking first experience" "Pirate Captain Seeking New Crew - Must like rum and cutlasses. Peg legs and eye patches a plus. Must supply own parrot. No ninjas."

I'd try keeping them in a small town for a bit, a town where most of the people are friendly and interested enough in them to adopt them as "their" heroes. Use the town as a base, and reward any interest in the town with palpable advantages (Ask about the tavern owner? Get free beer!) Have their adventures be talked about. Let them see how their presence is changing things in town for the better.

This is generally a good idea. A lot of players are either too intimidated by established worlds with a ton of bacground material or feel that its so large that they don't care to learn about it all.

Do your players persue plot hooks or do they sit back and just tackle any adventure thrown at them? There are players out there that just want to play through adventures, kill, loot, and prepare for the next challenge. It is a playstyle that can be hard to deal with for DM's that put effort into world development.

lin_fusan

First Post
Try making a short newspaper, it worked for my group. The key is to get them involved in the setting by included them in the world. Let them know that they are making a change while getting them to read about the rest of the setting.

I did this for a Mage: The Ascension game. The one page fake newspaper was a good way to get the players into the feel of the game, to show the "in-game real world" consequences for their decision, to give them small hooks to play off of, and for me to dump all this background info that was sitting around doing nothing.

theskyfullofdust

First Post

Main Article - Some world event that doesn't directly involve the PCs. Aundair and Thrane are moving troops to the border. Dhakaani soldiers are massing to move against Lhesh Haruuc. A Zil airship disappears on its maiden voyage.

Next Article - Something the players did...make them look good. "Heroes save the village" etc. Praise them.

Next Article - A mystery that ties into the setting. "Jorasco Heir Kills Patient - His Dragonmark Inexplicably Cast Inflict Rather than Cure" Give the players an opening to want to investigate. Maybe they've met the Jorasco in the story and were recently cured by him.

Next Article - Something Interactive - "Sharn Watch Auctioning Off Recovered Items" The party can go and bid on everything from china sets to homes. They can even bribe the auction officials or buy something that someone else REALLY wants back.

Want Ads - Your chance to drop a few funny or small hooks. "Rat Killers Wanted - Ye Olde Inn has rats in the basement. Seeking plucky young adventurers seeking first experience" "Pirate Captain Seeking New Crew - Must like rum and cutlasses. Peg legs and eye patches a plus. Must supply own parrot. No ninjas."

This is exactly what I did (see attached). Really worked well. Got the players more involved, there were comments on the PCs actions, and plot hooks too. And they want more!

Attachments

• Gazetteer_1.pdf
    264.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Gazetteer_2.pdf
    257 KB · Views: 75

A

amerigoV

The newspaper idea works well in Eberron given the setup. I used that has part of the hook into the next adventure (reading of the PC's exploits brought them to the attention of the next plotgiver).

Remove ads