Encouraging Player Curiousity

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I'm stumped. My group of players just does not show any curiousity about the setting (Eberron) or the background of the campaign or really trying to interact with the world. And they really seem to be in a straight-jacket with doing only what's on their charachter sheets, despite the fact that I'm pretty open to bending and loosley interpreting the rules.

Having asked some of my players, they have stated that they don't have time to read the campaign setting (that's not a problem to me and I don't expect them to) and the world feels so "big" that they don't know where to start. And they want to ask "good" questions.

We've been playing this campaign for more than a year, and even so, it hasn't improved.

The players are happy with the game as it is, I think. But I am happiest when my players are keeping me on my toes and asking or trying things I don't expect.

So please share some ideas on what I can do to get my players asking questions and trying new things.

Begin saying something then stop and finish by suggesting you hadn't planned on mentioning that just yet. Half sentences followed by furtive glances often cause players to wonder what you are hiding. Sometimes when you cannot appeal to the players through their characters, you have to appeal directly through the players, even if it is by subterfuge.

Remove ads