Animal Cults... (the good and the bad...)

Scribble

First Post
So I was thinking about "Against the Cult of The Reptile God" this morning, and I started to think... If I were a young, yet motivated cultist looking to start worshiping some new animal deity... What would I choose?

I think you have to pick carefully in order not to sound like a newb...

I mean Cult of the Reptile God? Awesome!

Cult of The Marsupial Majesty... Not so cool.

What other types of animals do you think would make good Cult Totems?

What would be lame and get you laughed out of Culting 101?

Henry

Autoexreginated
The Hippopotamus is a deadly animal, capable of breaking bone in one bite and carrying off a full grown man.

However, being a cultist of the Hippo God is likely to get you wedgied on the little cultists' playground. :)

Saying it in Egyptian isn't better - a Hippo is a "Deb". The Cult of Deb makes you sounds like you're following a Valley Girl --

"So, I was telling this guy, you think you can beat Deb? You'll, like, not stop my plans, dude, like, gag me with a spoon..."

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Heroes everywhere tremble at the thought of facing the Sect of the Squirrel, for where they dwell, no one's nuts are safe!

Scribble

First Post
However, being a cultist of the Hippo God is likely to get you wedgied on the little cultists' playground. :)

Yeah Hippos and hippo-men make great statues in like lost temples in the middle of the jungle- but not such a good cult mascot...

Aeolius

Adventurer
Squid...

Envision a cult whose fledgling recruits must brave swimming in a school of Humboldt squid, during the night of the full moon. Others might be required to track down the leviathan who recently dined upon a kraken, to rescue its beak from a glob of ambergris.

Envision the cult members wielding tentacle-whips, adorning their bodies with tattoos reminiscent of the battle scars on sperm whales, and drinking ceremonial inkwine.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Change that from "squid" to "kraken," and I'm definitely stealing this whole idea for a future campaign.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Bluebottle Brotherhood...

Envision the Portugues Man o’ War... also known as the bluebottle, a siphonophore colony comprised of four types of specialized polyps. Now envision the cult, or Colony, with four distinct branches; The Float (supports the rest of the Colony), Tentacles (the hunters), Digesters, and Reproducers. Perhaps there is an analogy to the clown fish, which is immune to the bluebottle’s venom and lives amongst the Coloby, luring prey into its grasp.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Change that from "squid" to "kraken," and I'm definitely stealing this whole idea for a future campaign.

Then you'd like the Kraken Witches in my current campaign. Ten mermaids whose lower torsos each resemble a single tentacle, each was a merfolk slave to a kraken. Each had been mortally wounded before being “saved” by a sea hag fleshwarper (Lords of Madness) who grafted each of the kraken’s tentacles onto the unwilling mermaids, after the beast was slain. Now the mermaids collectively share the kraken’s powers memories.

Remove ads