Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition

The Human Target

Adventurer
Agreed with the exception that I don't see anything that I would define as "drastic" needing to be done. Significant, yes, but not drastic. I think they will be able to maintain a large degree of compatibility since they are only looking at doing "fixes" and streamlining, not a total rewrite.

Which is why I suspect I will be fine with a new edition, I have agreed with many things brought up over on Atomic Think Tank needing to be addressed with fixes, be written better, etc... Plus this gives the opportunity for consolidating all of the rules into one book, making them easier to see and understand rather than feeling all over the place, because they are.

So as long as they consolidate all of the new rules into one book, even if it makes the Gadgets book, Ultimate Powers, and others obsolete, having it all in just one book will make it very worthwhile to me.

Yeah I guess it depends on your definition of drastic.

Agreed on the consolidation. I hate having to flip through several books to find the one well written explanation of how something works.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Agreed on the consolidation. I hate having to flip through several books to find the one well written explanation of how something works.
Not to mention all the official rulings made in the Atomic Think Tank.

Did you know different attacks can have different attack bonus and damage trade-offs? (E.g., at PL 10 you can have a melee attack at +5, +15, and a ranged attack at +15, +5.) I didn't.

Did you know that the modifiers for Growth and Shrinking don't count against PL caps? I didn't.

Did you know that if the powers are Permanent, they do count against PL caps? I didn't.

Consolidating rules (and changing the few stinkers) will be very welcome.

Did you know different attacks can have different attack bonus and damage trade-offs? (E.g., at PL 10 you can have a melee attack at +5, +15, and a ranged attack at +15, +5.) I didn't.

Um, isn't that in the rulebook? I don't have it handy but I could have sworn the book explains that rather well.

pawsplay

Hero
And ... ?

"Now that we have the disk, where should we hide it?"
"I know! I'll run to Anchorage, Alaska, and put it in a safety deposit box. Then I'll run to Paris, France as a distraction."

It's great, Golden Age stuff. And WAY over-the-top for a PL 10 campaign, in which the other PCs might be a poor man's Batman and a blaster not notably more deadly than a guy with a machinegun.

Doug McCrae

Legend
It's great, Golden Age stuff. And WAY over-the-top for a PL 10 campaign, in which the other PCs might be a poor man's Batman and a blaster not notably more deadly than a guy with a machinegun.
To be fair, an assault rifle just does damage 5. 10, standard for a PL10 game, is the same as a tank's main gun.

And if the players are anything like mine they'll also have autofire, improved critical and the power attack/all-out attack combo so they hit more like a nuclear bomb.

They could also teleport foes to a great height and drop them (max damage 20, not limited by PL) and use the slam action, which adds the movement power's rank to damage and is also not limited by PL.

Last edited:

Jeff Wilder

First Post
"Now that we have the disk, where should we hide it?"
"I know! I'll run to Anchorage, Alaska, and put it in a safety deposit box. Then I'll run to Paris, France as a distraction."

It's great, Golden Age stuff.
No, it's great comic book stuff.

And it'll work right until the telepath plucks the location out of the speedster's mind.

You just can't mechanically balance non-combat aspects of the game without sucking the life out of the genre. Mutants & Masterminds relies almost exclusively on the GM to make sure that combat-balanced PCs have equal "power" in non-combat situations.

Some people won't like that. You seem to be one of them.

I like it just fine, and as I said I think the attempt to mechanically balance non-combat will destroy M&M's emulation of the genre, in which speedsters and telepaths and orphans from doomed planets do co-exist on the same teams with superb archers and peerless martial artist detectives.

The Human Target

Adventurer

Did you know that the modifiers for Growth and Shrinking don't count against PL caps? I didn't.

Did you know that if the powers are Permanent, they do count against PL caps? I didn't.

Consolidating rules (and changing the few stinkers) will be very welcome.

I knew the first, didn't know the second two.

I don't want M&M 3e to turn into DnD 4E (even though I play and enjoy 4E) but I do think they need to embrace the idea of simplicity, consolidation, and fun before simulation-ism.

I'd personally like any power with the "Your GM may wish to limit the levels of these powers because they can easily mess with the game" to be overhauled and/or made strictly optional.

I'd also like to see the system break away from a lot of the 3E DnD-isms that have been done better since the d20 release.

Also, I pray for an easy to use benchmark for encounter design. M&M has too much fudging/eyeballing of difficulty as it is.

Last edited:

Remove ads