Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Example play!
The "degrees of success" thing looks interesting.

I wonder if the "see what the dice tell you, then ask the player for description" thing is explicitly recommended in the GM section of the book? I personally tend to waffle back and forth between that and the "tell me what you're trying to do, then roll" method of narrative. Sometimes one seems to fit better than the other.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
"Routine" Stealth, Perception, AND attack checks against minions? Well, that is interesting.
Keep in mind that Batman might have an "advantage," analogous to 2E's Skill Mastery feat, that makes Stealth and Perception always "routine" (that is, a Take 10 check) for him.

Being able to Take 10 when attacking a minion is also in 2E.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Keep in mind that Batman might have an "advantage," analogous to 2E's Skill Mastery feat, that makes Stealth and Perception always "routine" (that is, a Take 10 check) for him.

Being able to Take 10 when attacking a minion is also in 2E.

Well actually, I was pointing out how this looks more like passive perception.

coyote6

Adventurer
It's the same concept -- your skill modifier +10 (for an average d20 roll). In 3.xe and M&M 1e & 2e, it was "taking 10"; in D&D 4e, it's "passive [skill] value"; and in M&M 3e, it's apparently "routine value".

ZenStorm

First Post
What gets on my nerves about M&M is the fact that everything funnels down through that d20 (the most random die) and it tends to make everything you create for that system, no matter how detailed or crunchy, seem very bland in play. All powers are the same in terms of resolution. No matter what you have, you're just adding to or subtracting from a modifier to a d20 roll and that's it. As good as those books look, all of the crunch is an illusion that dissipates very quickly once you start playing. It's disappointing.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm not a huge fan of MnM 3e (I prefer 2e) but I'll disagree with that statement. One of the great joys about MnM is that it's an effects based system. If I have a mystic blast that does 12 pts of damage, I get to decide what that means. Does it turn people into rabbits once they're knocked unconscious? Pick them up and bang their head into the ground? Summon a demon who bites them? It's all in the descriptions and the special effects, and the rules just give you a nice robust framework to form your adventure with.

Remove ads