The frakkin X-Mas Tree Effect: How to minimize it's impact in play?

Azgulor

Adventurer
From the title it should be clear: I HAAAAAAATE the Christmas Tree effect. I recognize it’s part of the game’s heritage and I like a cool magic item as much as the next guy. People love to hold up the One Ring, Sting, Elric’s Sword, and other examples from fiction as justification for their availability. Yet most of the time, magic items don’t work in-game like their fictional counterparts.

The primary issue I have with it isn’t even one of campaign flavor (although that's a close 2nd) –it’s the impact on players’ mindset: I have to have a magic sword or I’m not effective in combat. I have to have AC boosters to be an effective character. I have to have a stat-booster to compensate for a dump stat or to give my fighter the strength of a giant. etc.,etc. Player’s begin to define their characters by their gear --- that’s my turn-off.

In video games like Dragon Age or Warcraft, those items are just as present (or moreso) as they are in your typical Pathfinder game. Yet because they’re scripted stories to a large degree, they’re moved to the background. Even in a high-magic setting like Harry Potter’s, they’re tools – not extensions of the character.

However, in Pathfinder (& earlier D&D incarnations), they’re front-and-center in many of the players’ minds. As the GM Guide states, you’re trading atmosphere for convenience. I want atmosphere over convenience.

So while it’s easy enough to houserule or import OGL variants to minimize the magic item dependence, I find myself with an atypical scenario: My kids are now playing Pathfinder.

As a result, I’m trying to keep to RAW & keep house- and optional-rules to a minimum. They’re really taking to it and having a ball. I want to provide the wonder of magic items yet avoid having them feel that their characters are defined by them. I’m trying to use the guidelines presented in the GM Guide but honestly, it’s been so long since I’ve opened the Pandora’s Box of commonplace magic that I thought I’d look for advice.

So, how do you help your players avoid the “My Character is his Gear” trap?

BryonD

Hero
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Trailblazer-New-Horizons-3-5-Roleplaying/dp/1449503608/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283545679&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: Trailblazer: New Horizons in 3.5 Roleplaying (9781449503604): Benjamin Durbin, Ellen Durbin, Brad Kelley, Scott Purdy, Christopher Neveu: Books[/ame]

Seriously

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Beyond not letting them pick the gear by making a shopping list? I suppose keeping the amount of gear rather low might help.

Weapons of Legacy stuff helps with some of the flavor issues, and can function more like fictional items. It doesn't really help with the "gear defining the character" issue, though.

Azgulor

Adventurer
BryonD, sorry, you lost me. I guess I need to take another look at my Trailblazer PDF but I can only recall TB acknowledging the math-reliance-on-magic-items. Does it actually address how to minimize magic item reliance as well?

Guess I have my reading assignment for the weekend. :)

Last edited:

BryonD

Hero
There is a fairly detailed analysis of magic item dependency and a mathematical assessment of it. And the AP system is specifically designed to off-set magic items.

Azgulor

Adventurer
There is a fairly detailed analysis of magic item dependency and a mathematical assessment of it. And the AP system is specifically designed to off-set magic items.

Cool, thanks.

I remembered the mathematical assessment. Time to go back and revisit the AP system.

Thanks, again!

Tumbler

First Post
Well, if you have new players, don't let them see the magic items part of the book. Also, don't let them sell or buy magic items. The gp values are to evaluate the relative power of the abilities, not to say you can buy them. Then toss in action points or hero points or whatever you like to cover some of the math.

Also, the math is less important if you make most encounters with several less powerful opponents rather than one higher level.

I feel your pain.

I think there are several solutions; here is my preferred one. It's based on assumptions about character wealth by level, and starts to break down around level 17 or so, as character wealth is spiralling out of control at that point.

First, ban the following:

• All items which offer enhancement bonuses to ability scores (cloak of charisma, girdle of giant's strength etc).
  • All items which offer a natural armor bonus or deflection bonus to AC (amulet of natural armor, ring of protection etc).
  • All items which offer a resistance bonus to saving throws (cloak of resistance)
  • All spells and effects which incorporate any of the above (bull's strength, barkskin etc.)

These are the biggest offenders.

Next, give characters incremental bonuses to a total of three ability scores over the course of their career, starting at 5th-level, like this:

Lvl 1st 2nd 3rd Ability

05 +2, +0, +0
08 +2, +2, +0
10 +2, +2, +2
12 +4, +2, +2
13 +4, +4, +2
14 +6, +4, +4
15 +6, +6, +4
16 +6, +6, +6

Next, give them a defense bonus to AC; this reflects losing access to natural armor and deflection bonuses from items. Give a bonus to saving throws to replace resistance bonuses.
Against touch attacks, the defense bonus to AC is halved, otherwise the full value is always counted.

Lvl Def Save

06 +0, +1
07 +2, +1
09 +2, +2
11 +4, +2
12 +4, +3
15 +6, +3
16 +6, +4
17 +8, +5
18 +10 +5

Finally, revise character wealth by level to account for the benefits:

Lvl (000gp)

05 5
06 8
07 10
08 14
09 20
10 29
11 34
12 39
13 49
14 57
15 67
16 100
17 143
18 207
19 347
20 527

In this scheme, up to one half of character wealth by level can be invested in a single magic item, to a maximum of 200K.

You should stay balanced against the Christmas tree.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
What I did, some time back, was rewrite 3.5, to negate said "Christmas Tree" effect. It worked. Totally rewired such things as classes, AC (i.e., Defence), Base Save progressions and the like, just for starters. Oh, and the CR/ECL/EL system. . .

The whole idea was to make it so that magic item possession was no longer a necessity, in order to survive (and, with any luck, thrive).

I'll have to get around to "converting" it to 3.PF, though yeah, I don't foresee that being at all difficult.

Remove ads