Current state of the online Character Builder

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
From the Wizards boards:

WotC_Trevor said:
Hey all. We had a crazy week last week with the one day snowpocalypse and the Thanksgiving holiday, and I was looking over the stuff on my plate when I realized I hadn’t talked about the CB crash issues since before the break – so I’m here to give you an update.

We have identified some server side and client side issues that can cause crashes/freeze ups for some people. The client side issues have been relatively easy to identify with your help. The server side issues are a bit more problematic, as they’re a bit harder to locate and when they do happen, everybody connected to a server at a given time will be thrown an error/crash out.

It has been our highest priority to address as many of these crash issues as we can, which is why you haven’t heard me talk about much else where the CB is concerned. At this point we’ve identified the causes of these server side issues and we’re testing a fix for those internally as I type this up. Once we’ve cleared through that testing and we’re happy with the results, we’ll push that fix out in an update, along with fixes for some client side crash issues. As soon as we’re ready to do that, I’ll be here to let you know. Until then, make sure to save often and remember that reloading the CB tends to drop you back in where you left off.

Sigh. They've still got so much to do before it's ready... Note that none of the rules problems in the CB are even discussed.

Rydac

Explorer
Given all the crash complaints I've read I'm all in favor of them getting stability increased pronto.

On the other hand I'm apparently one of a lucky few as the new CB has worked like a charm for me every time.

Now if they don't get the Forgotten Kingdoms stuff in the character builder on the 7th I'll be a bit of an unhappy camper ;)

I've only had a handful of crashes. I just wish it would run a little faster. We spent 2 hours making an epic character, mostly just waiting for stuff to load. And when you have to scroll through a bajillion feats, it's a bit tedious.

Still, I like it. Though it did let me multiclass into bard at 1st level, then take all the other multiclass feats I wanted. I thought that was cool, though, so I hope they don't fix it. The 30th level sorcerer/bard/monk I'm making for a one-shot is crazy fun.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
With that criteria you have been waiting on a working CB for the past 2 years.

Indeed! Do you understand why I'm so annoyed? ;)

If there are more obscure errors, then I can live with it (and hope they get fixed). However, the errors aren't exactly obscure at the moment.

JoeGKushner

First Post
and the amazing thing is they're charging for this.

I know we're way early into the game of the new life of the online version but man, letting that sub lapse is looking smarter and smarter.

Remove ads