Current state of the online Character Builder

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
The stability issues pretty much have to be a priority as they really cannot get anywhere esle without addressing them. That said it has improved but it still has a logn way to go before catching up with the old builder.

smtwtfs

First Post
I just realized today that Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom content isn't in the CB. I don't want to think about how long it'll be before it's added. :confused:

You need to put your confusion in context; online CB release coincided with the street release date of Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom ~ 16 November 2010 (if my memory is correct). Unless you purchased said material from a premier LGS two weeks in advance.

For me, I've been around this street more than a few times and am tired of beating this dead donkeyhorse.

webrunner

First Post
You'd rather that they fix rules problem in a crashy app?

Yes. YES. I'd VERY MUCH rather they fix rule problems then crashing.

The crashing is annoying, it can sometimes even make it so you lose some stuff (this they need to fix) but usually you can pick up where you left off. All a given crash does is lose you time.

But the rules problems mean some legal characters are impossible to build in the new character builder. Anyone with two weapons or a set has an incomplete character sheet, and will have that until they fix that problem PERIOD. No amount of crashing makes it impossible unless it's a 100% crash. ANY amount of broken rules can make a character impossible.

Things that make actual progress impossible are SHOWSTOPPER bugs, they're BLOCKING bugs. These are far more important than a mere not-every-time crash.

the Jester

Legend
I asked WotC for a refund for November since I have nothing I can use for ANY of my active games. I was turned down.

Hmm, I thought they were being pretty liberal with the refunds to pacify people right now. This is the first I've heard of WotC saying "No" to the request. I'm pretty surprised.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
One of the oft-ignored but critical rules of thumb in software development:

1. Make it run.
2. Make it accurate.
3. Make it fast.
4. Polish it.

Those are the priorities. When you ignore them, you increase the overall time and effort required to get it finished. You guys saying that you want them to work on the rules updates before they fix server and client crashes are actually saying you want the whole thing to take longer than necessary. (I know that isn't what you want, but it is what you are asking for.)

However, whether people with a prior subscription should be expected to pay for stark problems in running and accuracy is another question altogether.

BobTheNob

First Post
Im in the "get the features working" camp.

Currently, we have the old character builder, which hasnt been updated since August??(I think), yet we still use that in preference to the new builder. The reason for this is not the crashes : sure they are annoying, but the new tool doesnt have the degree of support we need

a) No inherent bonus's (I just cannot fathom why that didnt make it in)
b) No house rule support. Not only cant we import our existing characters (as we want them) but we cant put house rules over the top of created characters
c) No campaign editing!!! We dont use even half of the powers and feats available. So much crap has been written that has just been power-creeped out (some of which was so crap in the first place no-one would take) so at least we could take these out so player didnt have to spend HOURS trying to pick a single feat.

Without these features, we just cant use the tool. So for my money, this time around, features>fixes. I would rather be using a buggy tool than no tool at all.

At first, I accepted the "beta" state of the software, but I am becoming increasingly aggrevated at the lack of positive sign of movement toward a fix. For our group, to all intents and purposes, there has been no progress what-so-ever on the CB since the last update to the old.

Thats coming up on 4 months now! 4 MONTHS! Hey wotc, can I have a 3rd of my yearly subscription back?

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
Given all the crash complaints I've read I'm all in favor of them getting stability increased pronto.

On the other hand I'm apparently one of a lucky few as the new CB has worked like a charm for me every time.

Now if they don't get the Forgotten Kingdoms stuff in the character builder on the 7th I'll be a bit of an unhappy camper ;)

The Compendium is being updated on the 7th. They did not give a date when the CB would be updated with the new data

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Hmm, I thought they were being pretty liberal with the refunds to pacify people right now. This is the first I've heard of WotC saying "No" to the request. I'm pretty surprised.

I'll give them credit where it's due. I asked for Oct and November - it felt a bait and switch to promise the Darksun and Essentials updates in October, and then "deliver" them with the web CB in November with the state the web CB was in. They said they couldn't do anything. I pressed the issue because I still don't feel they have been delivered since it can't handle any active character I have, and they offered October and said they weren't giving refunds for November. I'm a yearly subscriber, so it's not like someone just dipping in.

Until the CB can handle my characters like the old could (or old plus promised DS & Essentials), I feel I'm getting less value for my DDI subscription. I should ask if they are willing to do a partial refund or reduced subscription price until they get CB working again* - I'd feel justified in paying a lesser price for lesser value.

*I need to repeat because it was in my earlier post - the web CB can make the characters it can make. It just can't handle my existing characters that the old CB could, and that's a big drop in value. I think it will get there, but right now - for me - the web CB offers little value compared to what the classic CB did for the same cost.

Remove ads