How are you filling the Yawning Void that is the WotC publishing schedule?

Mercurius

Legend
Normally we have anywhere from 1-3 4E books (sometimes more) per month to choose from; I certainly would buy most of it, probably about two-thirds. The last 4E book I bought was...hmm...let me think...Monster Vault two and a half months ago? And before that, Rules Compendium, but the purchases have sparse for the last couple months and look to continue to be sparse. The next 4E book is Heroes of Shadow in April, then we have Shadowfell a month later and it seems no more than about one book per month after that for the rest of the year. Sparse pickings, indeed.

So here we are, flailing about in the Unfathomable Abyss that is the WotC publishing schedule. What are you doing to fill this Terrible Emptiness? Are you filling in your collection with stuff you missed (e.g. Vor Rukoth has been in my Amazon cart for ages, but I still haven't clicked the submit button). Are you spending more on other RPGs? If so, what? Are you spending your normally-4E-allotted funds elsewhere? Or are you, wisely I would think, saving up your gold pieces for a rainy day?

Me: A bit of all of the above. There isn't much of 4E that I don't have that I want; as mentioned, I've dabbled with the idea of picking up Vor Rukoth and maybe Hammerfast. I continue to purchase Pathfinder Chronicles books, and occasionally buy something for Savage Worlds or Earthdawn (looking forward to the Cathay books) or some other random RPG item. I've also been on a bit of a miniatures splurge (metals only, of course) - mainly Reaper for utility in my games, but also some Enigma stuff because they're just incredible sculpts and one or two other items.

What about you? How are you filling the Awful Chasm of Gnashing Yearning that has opened up all around us?

catsclaw227

First Post
I used to be a "version completionist", buying up all the offical books, as well as much of the 3PP stuff that came out. I have so much 3.x stuff I could never use it all in my lifetime.

With 4e, that changed as I decided to forgo most of the super crunchy splats (XX Power stuff) and relied on DDI compendium and CB/MB.

Lately, though, the lack of products available has been good for me. I am now spending more money on my family instead, and since I am now running a sandbox of homebrew content and some prepublished adventures, I am less beholden to buy something I might not really ever use.

Nagol

Unimportant
The void started a few years ago for me :p

I've been filling out other RPG lines and new games as they're released. Pathfinder, Uni-system (conspiracy-X, Witchcraft), Dresden Files, Mutants and Masterminds, and Delta Green, are my most recent purchases.

Cyronax

Explorer
I'm not a completist. I might buy (4e) 6-8 books a year.

Right now I'm stronly considering getting into Mutants and Masterminds 3, but I'm awaiting the print release. I don't know if I want to go the DCU route (since I'm a Marvel guy), but I do know that at least that book is released.

Holy Bovine

First Post
With what little disposable income I'm going to have this year (otherwise known as The Year the Credit Cards DIED) I will be picking up various board and card games that have peaked my interest including the one from WotC. My interest in RPGs is pretty low right now and I am playing in only a single game that meets about once a month. Contrast that to the near weekly board gaming I am doing and WotC's release schedule fits me perfectly (not that I was buying much anyways!).

Coldwyn

First Post
I don´t reall think I´ll actually notice any gap. I estimate that I´ve only used from 5 to 7 % of the availlable material so far, so it´ll be a long time till my 4E itch needs to be scratched again.

Stoat

Adventurer
I'll join the chorus. There is no "yawning void" from my perspective. I buy maybe two or three D&D books a quarter. I don't feel any need to purchase D&D stuff, and I've got plenty to keep me busy. If WotC wants to slow its roll, that's fine with me.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
I'm using it to pick up other 4e books I missed as they weren't quite as high on the "need to have list" for me at the time.

Psionic and Primal Power
Daconomicon 1 & 2
Planes above and below
Dragon and Dungeon compilation books
the tiefling option and adventure site books
the dark sun stuff
the FR adventure
the rest of the adventures H3 - E3
Orcus
the blue dragon
the drizzt dragon
duplicates of tiles (like to have 4 of each set)
Fortune Cards

Remove ads