Stat this up # 2

Nookie

Explorer
I'm trying to keep up but making movies and going to school is very time consuming :O I think a Pesudo foxdragon would be cool. And they could have true dragon cousins called Hulong. Something like a Hulong can bless a wujen with a lesser shade of its self as a familiar :)

Cleon

Legend
I'm trying to keep up but making movies and going to school is very time consuming :O I think a Pesudo foxdragon would be cool. And they could have true dragon cousins called Hulong. Something like a Hulong can bless a wujen with a lesser shade of its self as a familiar :)

Righty-ho, might as well get started then.

I'm thinking we should use the SRD Pseudodragon as a template and tweak it until we get something we like.

I guess we should also consider the stats for a Fox.

There are three different official stats for a normal Fox in 3rd edition, all from Dragon Magazine articles (in issues #280, #291 and #323).

The Dragon #353 version says to just use the stats of a Cat.

The Dragon #291 version says it's the corrected form of the Dragon #280 version, so we should consider that:

Dragon #291
Fox: CR 1/4; Small Animal; HD 1/2d8; hp 2; Init +4 (Dex); Spd 40 ft.; AC 15 (+1 size, +4 Dex); Atk +1 melee (1d4, bite); SQ scent; Face/Reach 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.; SV Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +1; Str 11, Dex 19, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7.

Skills: Hide +12, Listen +5, Move Silently +9, Spot +5, Swim +3.

FOX FAMILIAR: Master gains a +2 bonus to Reflex saves.

Cleon

Legend
Righty-ho, might as well get started then.

I'm thinking we should use the SRD Pseudodragon as a template and tweak it until we get something we like.

Fox: CR 1/4; Small Animal; HD 1/2d8; hp 2; Init +4 (Dex); Spd 40 ft.; AC 15 (+1 size, +4 Dex); Atk +1 melee (1d4, bite); SQ scent; Face/Reach 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.; SV Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +1; Str 11, Dex 19, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7.

Skills: Hide +12, Listen +5, Move Silently +9, Spot +5, Swim +3.

So I'm thinking we're all OK making this a Dragon, but what size ought it to be?

I'm favouring Tiny with Advancement to Small myself.

Nookie

Explorer
Sure. did you want to make the fox familiar the gift of a bigger oriental dragon? I was thinking that sense foxes are seen as verry magical in oriental myths that Hu longs can be the guardians of magic. Lost of the other long dragons are guardians of something or other.

Cleon

Legend
Sure. did you want to make the fox familiar the gift of a bigger oriental dragon? I was thinking that sense foxes are seen as verry magical in oriental myths that Hu longs can be the guardians of magic. Lost of the other long dragons are guardians of something or other.

Offhand, I can't recall any official 3E Familiars whose monster entries specify they're the gift of a particular creature. Even the Imps and Quasits, who're traditionally depicted as being dispatched by more powerful fiends to corrupt mortal spellcasters, don't have flavour text to that effect in the Monster Manual.

We can have background about them associating with bigger Oriental Dragons though.

As for the "Guardians of Magic" bit. From what I recall Foxes in Asian myth are depicted as tricksters rather than protectors.

Anyhow, might as well start a Working Draft.

Cleon

Legend
Foxdragon Working Draft

Foxdragon (Hu Long)
Tiny Dragon
Hit Dice: 2d12 (13 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 60 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 17 (+2 size, +3 Dex, +2 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-8
Attack: Tail +7 melee (1d3-2 plus 1d3 fire plus burn) or bite +7 melee (1d4-2)
Full Attack: Tail +7 melee (1d3-2 plus 1d3 fire plus burn) and bite +2 melee (1d4-2)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft. (5 ft. with tail)
Special Attacks: Burn
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., fire resistance 10, flight, heat haze, immunity to sleep and paralysis, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 17, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills: Bluff +6, Diplomacy +5, Hide +16, Intimidate +3, Listen +6, Move Silently +8* (+12 flying), Sense Motive +6, Sleight of Hands +5, Spot +5
Feats: Flyby Attack, Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate or warm forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or clutch (3–5)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Chaotic, usually neutral
Advancement: 3–4 HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: +3

A tiny creature with fox-like fur and features but the sinuous shape of an oriental dragon. Its head sports deerlike antlers and a magnificent mane of orange-red hair. A flare of fire bursts out from its bushy tail, obscuring its features in a ripple of heat.

The fox dragon is a mischievous trickster that lives in forested areas. The creature spends its days flitting about wildly seeking to teach strangers through its chaotic pranks usually in the form of fire based antics.

A foxdragon is about 3 feet long, half of which is its bushy tail. It weighs about 5 pounds.

Foxdragons can speak Draconic and Sylvan.

Fox dragon familiars: The fox dragon is suitable for a 5th level improved familiar.

Combat
Foxdragons love to sow flames among their enemies with blows from their fiery tails. They use hit-and-run tactics to avoid counterattacks.

Burn (Ex): A foxdragon's tail attack deals bludgeoning damage plus fire damage from the creature's fiery tail. Those hit by a foxdragon's tail attack also must succeed on a DC 11 Reflex save or catch on fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds. A burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Flight (Su): As per the fly spell. The foxdragon can cease or resume flight as a free action. This ability gives the foxdragon a +4 circumstance bonus on Move Silently checks.

Heat Haze (Ex): A foxdragon can heat the air surrounding it to bend and blur light, making it difficult to surmise the creature's true location. This grants the foxdragon concealment (20% miss chance) unless the attacker can locate the beast by some means other than sight. A see invisibility spell does not counteract this effect, but a true seeing allows the user to see the foxdragon's position.

FOXDRAGON COMPANIONS
On very rare occasions a foxdragon while accept the companionship of a humanoid. These tricksters will only become companions to "kindred spirits" who love pranks and jokes as much as foxdragons do. If they come across a potential companion they test them out by playing a series of tricks on them, and if the candidate receives them good-naturedly (possibly by responding in kind with their own harmless tricks) the foxdragon may accept them. Foxdragons also love edible treats such as sweets, fruits and juicy scraps of meat, so offering a supply of such delicacies is a good way for a candidate to convince the foxdragon to accept them.

A foxdragon companion values its freedom and is liable to fly away if it feels its "ally" is too controlling or has lost their fondness for pranks. They do not demand constant pampering like a pseudodragon, but their companion needs to maintain a regular supply of delicious titbits to keep their foxdragon ally.

A foxdragon egg can fetch a price of up to 6,000 gp, and a hatchling as much as 12,000 gp. Foxdragons have a life span of 10 to 15 years. Like dragons, they are attracted to bright, shiny objects.

Last edited:

Nookie

Explorer
Offhand, I can't recall any official 3E Familiars whose monster entries specify they're the gift of a particular creature. Even the Imps and Quasits, who're traditionally depicted as being dispatched by more powerful fiends to corrupt mortal spellcasters, don't have flavour text to that effect in the Monster Manual.

We can have background about them associating with bigger Oriental Dragons though.

As for the "Guardians of Magic" bit. From what I recall Foxes in Asian myth are depicted as tricksters rather than protectors.

Anyhow, might as well start a Working Draft.

I seem to recall foxes getting more tales the more magically powerful they becomes or something like that in some myth or other. (Might be an age thing). Also our critter needent be exactly like a asian mythological fox so we can do whatever we want :)

I like the Gift idea because its origonal-ish. But yeah we can work all that jazz out later.

Nookie

Explorer
Similar creatures

Pesudo Dragon: Str 6, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10
Fearie Dragon: Str 9, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 16
Fox: Str 11, Dex 19, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7.

Cleon

Legend
I seem to recall foxes getting more tales the more magically powerful they becomes or something like that in some myth or other. (Might be an age thing). Also our critter needent be exactly like a asian mythological fox so we can do whatever we want :)

I like the Gift idea because its origonal-ish. But yeah we can work all that jazz out later.

In China and Japan foxes grow additional tails when they get old enough (1000 years or so). The can have up to nine tails for the really old and powerful ones.

Remove ads