D&D 5E Legends & Lore 03.10.2014: Full-spellcasting Bard

One thing about the change to Bardic Inspiration, is that it gives a conceivable way of aiding a stealth check. Since playing song while someone is sneaking doesn't work for sneaking around very well, as Elan once demonstrated.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
My only worry is that the "trickster" type PCs "role" is losing a member. Before Rogues, monks, bards, and rangers where the skills classes. Now when are down to rogue and ranger (and we haven't seen ranger's final form) as the bard will now have so much spell power. Three depending on how the warlock ends up.

A 5th full caster? Really?

Zardnaar

Legend
And Rangers and Paladins are basically previous editions bards in terms of number of spells now. Reskinning 4E powers into neo vancian spells so tney can get away with the "it magic" explanation?

pemerton

Legend
This sounds good. It seems to make bards closer to 4e bards, doesn't it? - the same spell-casting capacity as clerics and wizards, but with non-attack cantrips meaning a tendency towards weapon-use as the bread-and-butter of combat.

gweinel

Explorer
Pleasantly suprised I have to say after a long time I have to admit. It is more convincing the way they introduce the bard than it was in the 2-4th editions. I can see myself playing this kind of bard. I am wondering about the subclasses. A would love to see the skald!

Li Shenron

Legend
My only worry is that the "trickster" type PCs "role" is losing a member. Before Rogues, monks, bards, and rangers where the skills classes.

Well, it's going to be a "magic trickster", and it's also getting a couple of skills expertise like only the Rogues does IIRC.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Well, it's going to be a "magic trickster", and it's also getting a couple of skills expertise like only the Rogues does IIRC.

I don't know. Giving it full spellcasting might allow it to power through too many problems.
I'm afraid the bard will become another "spell away the problem first" class if they gain too much spell power and quantity.

The bard would have to really be limited in spell list or prepared spells to stay a trickster. Because then it would still had to use those skills and not sling powerful magic in every scene.

variant

Adventurer
Though I would like to see one based off the old Monte Cook Eldritch Might bard, I support the full spellcasting bard. I hope they have some unique sonic and illusion spells.

Remove ads