D&D 5E druids don't get animal companions?

evilbob

Explorer
Druids get two "paths" (subclasses): be more casty, or be more shape-shifty. It's like they left out a third one: be more animal companiony.

There is no animal companion in the druid rules; only the ranger gets one as a subclass option (and from what people are saying, it's not a particularly good feature - I haven't read it yet). Hilariously both pictures of druids show them with animal companions at their side.

Did I miss something? Is there a "get an animal companion" spell for druids that they get at level 1, like how wizards don't get familiars but instead they can cast "get a familiar" as a level 1 spell? (Also familiars are kinda crappy.) I feel like I must have missed it.

Chriscdoa

Explorer
Druids get two "paths" (subclasses): be more casty, or be more shape-shifty. It's like they left out a third one: be more animal companiony.

There is no animal companion in the druid rules; only the ranger gets one as a subclass option (and from what people are saying, it's not a particularly good feature - I haven't read it yet). Hilariously both pictures of druids show them with animal companions at their side.

Did I miss something? Is there a "get an animal companion" spell for druids that they get at level 1, like how wizards don't get familiars but instead they can cast "get a familiar" as a level 1 spell? (Also familiars are kinda crappy.) I feel like I must have missed it.

No, but there should be!

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
ye ole Animal Friendship spell isn't in the druid's spell list?

Don't get me wrong. I am THRILLED that animal companions are [mostly] missing. Every ranger with a panther and every druid with a bear or snow leopard was ridiculous and tiresome (Of course the local farmers don't care/look twice that you're wandering into town with a WOLF or order an ale at the inn with a TIGER next to you!). But the idea that a druid can't befriend, either magically or as a class ability, an animal who might follow them around and help them (as far as they would naturally be able) does seem like a very basic trope omission.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
I was just going to make a post asking this same question because I was reading the PHB and saw the Druid WITH A PET TIGER as a clear illustration in the Druid entry. Yes, they can cast Animal Friendship; but it has a duration of 24 hours. I guess they have to devote a permanent spell slot to "Giving Mr. Snuggles His Medicine" every day. Honestly they should make it so spending a higher level slot (let's say 3rd) makes it Permanent (so long as you only have 1 such animal).

The upside is if the GM allows you to get a PET TIGER by doing this, it will allow the ranger to get a much better pet than the ones the Beastmaster ranger gets.

Tony Vargas

Legend
As problematic AD&D spells went, it was hardly the worst. If they're going to include something like Find Familiar, they might as well give the Druid Animal Friendship - but not, y'know, create 18th level uber-animals to abuse it with, nor let it apply to a T-rex or anything like that. Just cuddly forest creatures - like grizzly bears.

Vanye

Explorer

I don't know if it's in the PH or not, but the spell is definitely in the Hoard of the Dragon Queen supplement (p24). However, it seems more limited in many ways "This spell lets you convince a beast that you mean it no harm." is a far cry from making it your best buddy.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Actually just noticed the "Awaken" Spell is the permanent alternative to Animal Friendship and seems to be the way to get a GOOD animal companion (not that thing the ranger gets).

It is a 5th level spell that costs 1,000 GP to cast that makes an animal (up to Huge Size) gain an Int of 10, allows it to speak a language, and is charmed by you and your companions for 30 days. At the end of the 30 days, the animal can choose to stay with you or not based on how you treated it.

So if you treat it like a loyal friend (and the GM is kind) it will stay with you. If you treat it like a trap-detector (or the GM just hates animal companions), it will leave you.

evilbob

Explorer
Don't have the book in front of me but I will check out Animal Friendship and Awaken. It's still just sort of weird that it isn't something more specific in the class, but on the other hand if it's a spell at least you can do something. And if you have to give up a spell slot to get a beast, that's probably a decent balance. I don't think the familiar spell requires recasting, but then again familiars are quite terrible this time around. (Maybe leaving room for an "advanced" familiar spell in future books?)

Awaken sounds like it's much better than anything a poor necromancer can get, too...

Lalato

Adventurer
If the DM really hates the idea, you'll just get 30 days of downtime immediately and it will leave after. ;)

That said... Awaken seems pretty powerful. Rocket Raccoon FTW!!!!

Remove ads