When does small become tiny?

Puxido

First Post
I'm trying my hand at making custom races for campaigns again, and I decided to try to make a custom fairy race. Now I thought I'd make them about a foot tall, small enough to be dwarfed by a gnome but not so small that you could swat them with a shoe. Then I thought to myself, gnomes are 3 feet tall, and they count as small. But would 1 foot be small or tiny? Where does small end and tiny begin?

Debby

Explorer
I'm trying my hand at making custom races for campaigns again, and I decided to try to make a custom fairy race. Now I thought I'd make them about a foot tall, small enough to be dwarfed by a gnome but not so small that you could swat them with a shoe. Then I thought to myself, gnomes are 3 feet tall, and they count as small. But would 1 foot be small or tiny? Where does small end and tiny begin?

Good question. I didn't see an answer in the PRD or in the Core Rulebook. I think Pathfinder gives more overlap in sizes. I generally use the SRD definitions: Fine is 6 inches or less, Diminutive is 6 inches to 1 foot, Tiny is 1 foot to 2 feet, Small is 2 feet to 4 feet, Medium is 4 feet to 8 feet, Large is 8 feet to 16 feet and so forth.

Obviously, there are some exceptions. 1 foot could be either big for a Diminutive creature or little for a Tiny one. Depends on what you deem is average.

Debby

Puxido

First Post
Good question. I didn't see an answer in the PRD or in the Core Rulebook. I think Pathfinder gives more overlap in sizes. I generally use the SRD definitions: Fine is 6 inches or less, Diminutive is 6 inches to 1 foot, Tiny is 1 foot to 2 feet, Small is 2 feet to 4 feet, Medium is 4 feet to 8 feet, Large is 8 feet to 16 feet and so forth.

Obviously, there are some exceptions. 1 foot could be either big for a Diminutive creature or little for a Tiny one. Depends on what you deem is average.

I'm not too familiar with SRD to be honest. But I get your point on the exceptions.

Let's assume humans are average. We know from the core rulebook their size is medium, what can we gather from that?

Cleon

Legend
I'm not too familiar with SRD to be honest. But I get your point on the exceptions.

Let's assume humans are average. We know from the core rulebook their size is medium, what can we gather from that?

it's curious that Pathfinder doesn't include typical dimensions and weights for creatures of different sizes in its Creature Size and Scale table.

The 3E D&D System Reference Document (SRD) does include typical values in its Creature Size and Scale table, so it does seem reasonable to assume Pathfinder creatures use similar values since it's an Open Game Licence product that's (supposedly) compatible with the SRD.

The relevant bites in this case are:
SizeHeight or Length¹Weight²
Fine6 in. or less1/8 lb. or less
Diminutive6 in. - 1 ft.1/8 lb. - 1 lb.
Tiny1 ft. - 2 ft.1 lb. - 8 lb.
Small2 ft. - 4 ft.8 lb. - 60 lb.
Medium4 ft. - 8 ft.60 lb. - 500 lb.
Large8 ft. - 16 ft.500 lb. - 2 tons
Huge16 ft. - 32 ft.2 tons - 16 tons
Gargantuan32 ft. - 64 ft.16 tons - 125 tons
Colossal64 ft. or more125 tons or more
  1. Assumes that the creature is roughly as dense as a regular animal. A creature made of stone will weigh considerably more. A gaseous creature will weigh much less.
  2. These values are typical for creatures of the indicated size. Some exceptions exist.

So a foot tall Fey like you're designing would typically be Tiny sized in 3E, and is probably the same size category in Pathfinder. Going by the above table it ought to weigh somewhere around 1 to 8 pounds.

It's unlikely to be Small. A Pathfinder Grig is Tiny sized and eighteen inches tall, 50% taller than the 1 foot you mentioned.

A Pathfinder Atomie is the next size smaller (Diminutive) and "stands just under a foot tall and weighs 2 pounds".

BigVanVader

First Post
Look at the difference between small and medium. Look at the amount of weight that qualifies as small, versus what qualifies as medium. That is a completely insane difference in numbers.

delericho

Legend

It pretty much comes down to "the monster description says it's Small" (or Tiny). There tends to be some significant overlap between the categories. And rightly so - consider the difference in bulk between someone who's tall but very thin versus one who's equally tall but vastly more muscular.

Having said that, I'd peg a race that averages 1 foot in height as being Tiny in most cases.

Remove ads