D&D 5E Settings played in D&D: cause or effect?

hawkeyefan

Legend
I doubt it would. The question is how a Dark Sun Campaign Guide would compare to another FR region getting another source book. Or for that matter, a book with no setting in it at all would do compared to an FR book. If your reasoning is valid, a good (defintion of good may vary) non-setting book about world building or pantheon design or something similar would be a better choice than any FR book could be.

It's possible. I think FR works in part because it is the easiest to steal from for home brew games, so it will sell to the FR fans and to a good chunk of the homebrew folks. Dark Sun and Ravenloft and the like begin to cut that number down, to varying degrees.

And don't get me wrong, I am not at all saying that WotC shouldn't try some alternate routes than the pretty regimented product line they are offering so far. I just don't think it's as simple as "ignore the past and take a chance because it's what I want".

Just a thought: I get that they can't afford to do things like in 2e-3e times. That they concentrate on their most popular setting. That's OK and understandable. But it is indeed a self-fulfilling prophecy by every means. And since there IS a demand for other settings, what if they would:

- Do conversion guides, or shorter player/DM guides, which focus on the world-specific mechanics and the setting's latest changes. Most of the fluff are usable from dnd classics (which download rates would grow therefore), everybody wins and happy.
- Do the above on pdf-only if they want to save pressing/distributing costs.
- Give the smaller settings to 3rd party publishers and problem solved. That worked for Ravenloft through 3e, so I would approach Onyx Path with the idea right now.

There are good solutions for the current situation to satisfy fans who don't want to play FR, but don't have the time to converse everything. Please pick up and do one or any combination/variation because this isn't ideal right now.

These kind of options seem far more feasible.

For the setting specific/conversion guides, I like the idea. I think it would appeal to people. I suppose they look at it as a question of priority and if releasing that kind of material would make sense now. Perhaps they're holding the settings for later release? It's hard to be sure. The fact that they've acknowledged all the settings in the existing books implies to me that they intend to do something with them. That could be wrong, but I think if they had no plans, they wouldn't even mention the names in the PHB and elsewhere.

As for the 3rd party option, that worked in the past as far as players having options for those settings for the then current edition...but does that mean that such a relationship was beneficial to WotC? And if they have later plans for the alternate settings as I said above, would it be wise to license the settings now?

hawkeyefan

Legend
It is not completely bonkers - most companies do have an RnD Department to try and find the cool new thing. Of course every now and then you might have a "New Coke" but seems like Coca Cola have bounced back from that mistake while still managing to convert everyone to High Fructose Corn syrup.

But having said that, yeah WotC had better stick with the middle of the road stuff and let the Innovative third parties do the research and development.

Ignoring market data is absolutely bonkers.

Having said that, I think that it's a leap to say that I am saying they must solely play it safe and not take any risk. I just think it's smarter to firmly establish the brand again before branching into other settings or more diverse/innovative content.

I don't think it's smart for them to just bang out a 5E version of each setting because some folks are clamor ing for that. Because to me, it seems that some folks just clamor for the next thing regardless. If WotC put out a book for everything from Mystara to Dark Sun and Star Frontiers to Alternity, there would folks that would then say "ugh enough with the rehashes, where are the new settings?" And so on.

So my view is not that they don't do things like try another setting or something new altogether, but rather that I don't want them to do it just to satisfy a small portion of the fanbase. I want them to do that stuff because they think the time is right and they're ready to do it right.

Uchawi

First Post
I had hoped if they were all gung ho about FR that they would release a version that predates all the existing ones, ala FR in the very beginning. It was a tidy solution to maintaining whatever future timeline you wanted including 4E. It also gave everyone something new.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Ignoring market data is absolutely bonkers.

Well yeah, but if it works then you are a Creative Genius.

Having said that, I think that it's a leap to say that I am saying they must solely play it safe and not take any risk. I just think it's smarter to firmly establish the brand again before branching into other settings or more diverse/innovative content.

Absolutely they should play to their strengths.

I don't think it's smart for them to just bang out a 5E version of each setting because some folks are clamor ing for that. Because to me, it seems that some folks just clamor for the next thing regardless. If WotC put out a book for everything from Mystara to Dark Sun and Star Frontiers to Alternity, there would folks that would then say "ugh enough with the rehashes, where are the new settings?" And so on.

Yeah, there is no way WotC can do a book a Month. I would have expected that now would be a good time for licensing old Worlds from WotC but for some reason I just do not get that vibe from their "Story, story. story" comments.

So my view is not that they don't do things like try another setting or something new altogether, but rather that I don't want them to do it just to satisfy a small portion of the fanbase. I want them to do that stuff because they think the time is right and they're ready to do it right.

Yeah, they should not do something just because the fans are asking for it. Just stick to their guns and give us what they think the fans will buy.

PMárk

Explorer
As for the 3rd party option, that worked in the past as far as players having options for those settings for the then current edition...but does that mean that such a relationship was beneficial to WotC? And if they have later plans for the alternate settings as I said above, would it be wise to license the settings now?

I was also thrilled about the mentioning of various settings in the corebooks, that is mainly why I'm patient with them, because it seems they want to do something with them.

The question is: what and when? If I have to wait for a XY setting book I'm interested in for 3-4 or more years, because they want to solidify the brand and playerbase with the most-safe brand (again this is understandable on itself), I would say, please try an alternative choice. There are tons of edition-independent material out there, so just do shorter conversion pdfs. Or if they don't even want to do that in reasonable future, outsorcing.

How beneficial or wise it would be? If they want to do something with them, please do! If not, sitting on the IPs just pisses off the fanbase as the bajillion threads testifies and sends gamers to alternative games or 3rd party settings. There are already lots them on the market, so I think supporting (or outsorcing the supporting of) the original DnD ones would be good at least for satisfy the said fanbase. And it would bolster the donwloading of older material for the fluff from WotC and also the 5E corebook sales and FR-independent supplement sales. I don't think it would cut in half the AP and FR books sales, because the main support would be still for them, including AP, AL, novels etc. so FR would remain the most-recognized and played setting of DnD.

We have a proverb for this in Hungary: The goat gets enough to eat and the cabbage also remains.

pemerton

Legend
Most of the folks I know (including myself) would be very happy with a simple PDF of 'info' for other settings. We don't need (or even want) full colour extravaganza's with fancy backgrounds that make the text almost impossible to read. Give me a 32-page, b/w, booklet (ala the original World of Greyhawk Folio edition, circa 1981(?)). Some simple b/w art here and there (basically, "doodles and sketches" that an artist can whip out in 20 minutes), a paragraph or two on the overall area/country, and maybe a list of deity names and portfolios at the back.

If they put out, say, a 64-page b/w PDF with no-nonsense, simple, quick, sparsely festooned document for Birthright, for example, and put a price tag of, say $15 on it...and Copyright note that says something like "The persons name listed as watermark on the bottom of every page has permission to print this booklet for personal use only" (so that we could take it down to a local print shop, Staples, Kinko's, or whatever, and not get hassled about copyright and requiring faxes and other PITA things). I'd buy ALL of them. Dark Sun, Birthright, Greyhawk, Eberron, Council of Wyrms even, all of them.

Would WotC make tons of money off this? Doubt it. But what they would get is gratitude and good will from everyone who plays in these games. That, in turn, would lead to more playing of the game and likely buying of more core books.
The chance of WotC doing what you suggest here is zero.

WotC's market position is all about luxuriously designed and illustrated books, not illo-free B/W PDFs.

They also are all about supporting game stores - which is another reason why they wouldn't do PDFs as you suggest.

And by all accounts 5e is selling very very well. Sure, sales can always be boosted - but the likelihood that the best way to spend marketing resources is in the way you describe is also, in my view, zero.

Mirtek, "most popular" is irrelevant. If people like multiple campaign settings, multiple campaign settings will do well.
Some people like multiple campaign settings. But many people don't; and many more won't buy books for things that they do like.
[MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] posted on some fairly recent thread that sales goals for WotC books are at least 100,000 sales. (I can't remember what his source was.) Presumably WotC have doubts that a GH or DS book would sell that many copies, given that they don't seem to be publishing any such books.

There was a story came out of one convention - I can't vouch for the truth of it - that one distributor said the Neverwinter book had sales in 'three figures'.
The only version of such a story that I know has Moongoose's Matt Sprange as its source. And the book was Menzoberranzan, not Neverwinter.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I didn't. I just know things can be converted pretty quick with 5e.

I don't have even a little time for conversions. I barely get 20-50% of my prep done as is and have to wing the other 50-80% during sessions. It's good that I am very good at improvising.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Well yeah, but if it works then you are a Creative Genius.

Absolutely they should play to their strengths.

Yeah, there is no way WotC can do a book a Month. I would have expected that now would be a good time for licensing old Worlds from WotC but for some reason I just do not get that vibe from their "Story, story. story"

Yeah, they should not do something just because the fans are asking for it. Just stick to their guns and give us what they think the fans will buy.

Ha "the fans" meaning you or me?

I was also thrilled about the mentioning of various settings in the corebooks, that is mainly why I'm patient with them, because it seems they want to do something with them.

The question is: what and when? If I have to wait for a XY setting book I'm interested in for 3-4 or more years, because they want to solidify the brand and playerbase with the most-safe brand (again this is understandable on itself), I would say, please try an alternative choice. There are tons of edition-independent material out there, so just do shorter conversion pdfs. Or if they don't even want to do that in reasonable future, outsorcing.

How beneficial or wise it would be? If they want to do something with them, please do! If not, sitting on the IPs just pisses off the fanbase as the bajillion threads testifies and sends gamers to alternative games or 3rd party settings. There are already lots them on the market, so I think supporting (or outsorcing the supporting of) the original DnD ones would be good at least for satisfy the said fanbase. And it would bolster the donwloading of older material for the fluff from WotC and also the 5E corebook sales and FR-independent supplement sales. I don't think it would cut in half the AP and FR books sales, because the main support would be still for them, including AP, AL, novels etc. so FR would remain the most-recognized and played setting of DnD.

We have a proverb for this in Hungary: The goat gets enough to eat and the cabbage also remains.

I hear that. I wouldn't mind some material based on Planescape or Dark Sun. I can get by without it, but if they put it out, I'd almost certainly buy it.

So I can understand your criticism or your desire for more stuff, although I think you're overstating things a bit about the bajillion threads and whatnot.

I think a better question to ask is why aren't they putting out setting books? If you genuinely believe they are doing so to piss the fans off, then I don't think we'll ever get anywhere in a discussion. So let's just assume for sanity's sake that that's not why they're doing it.....so then what could be the reason?

What do you guys think?

Remove ads