Help with a hybrid Swordmage/Warlock or Swordmage/Artificer

Sage20500

First Post
I'm working on a new character for a campaign a friend is going to be running that's set in the devil may cry universe, and the dm is pretty much open to all official content being used (dragon marks, etc)

So the group I'm with is comprised of a resourceful Str primary secondary int/Cha Warlord, a drow Dex/Wis Seeker/Ranger that is focusing on the controller side (Dual hand crossbows, Rapid Shot with RBA powers and all the immediate reaction/interrupt encounter attack powers), and a Drow Dex/Cha Scoundrel Rogue that's going Hand Crossbow/Rapier.

I'm lined up to be the Defender of the party, and I was looking to try out something different since I've done a battlerager fighter and assault swordmage before, and the last character I played was a Con/Cha Paladin/Battle-mind Hybrid.

So first question would be with the party I have, between a Warforged Con/Int Swordmage/Warlock (Defender/Controller speced) or a Warforged Con/Int Swordmage/Artificer (Defender/Leader speced) what do you guys think would work better with the above listed party? Secondly, if I go with the Warlock option, when it comes to pacts how well does Vestige Pact and Dual Pact Sorcerer King go together? Or should i look at a different pact for dual pact?

Last edited:

darkbard

Legend
Sage, you might get more (and quicker) responses if you repost this (or ask a Moderator to move the thread) to the Character Builds & Optimization sub-forum and tag it with a 4E label.

My first thought is the party is a bit heavy on similar roles, especially those reliant on similar stats, though this is likely out of your hands. So I see what you're trying to do with a CON/INT character here. But not having any STR primary characters will hurt you in skill challenges. The Swordmage/Lock option is probably the better of the two (good MBA, nice selection of Immediate Actions), but would probably be better in a party if that Rogue were a STR/WIS Barbarian.

Sage20500

First Post
Ah ill have to do that when i get home from work, though it turns out i was mistaken, warlord is resourceful, so hes Str primary, secondary int and cha, with SM\lock pact wise do you think sorcerer king primary, and then twofold pacting into vestige is a good idea? From what ive seen sorcerer king looses the least from hybrid since you still get fel might at the start of the encounter, you just wont ve able to regain it from pact boons, and the sorcerer king encounters seem to be pretty party friebdly with handing out buffs that would stack with the warlord.

MwaO

Adventurer
Yeah, I'd agree that party is a bit weak on Str and it would probably be helpful to have a Defender who can mitigate that problem. And you seem to be relatively weak on area damage, Ranger|Seeker not withstanding.

What level are you starting out at and how optimized did you want to go?

Sage20500

First Post
We usuallt start 2-4 and go into epic, optomising wise, i like to play characters that are effective at what they do, but can still somewhat be thematic with what the original idea was supposed to be, so in this case the theme idea was a warforged grey jedi for now, so now im trying to optomise that idea into a class if that makes sense?

Remove ads