D&D 5E Could Paizo go 5e?

carmachu

Explorer
The situation got reversed. A few years ago Wotc was sad and Paizo happy.
Now Paizo should be concerned.
Some poster on Paizo forum consider Dnd5 as PF 2ed. PF could evolve, but he miss the train. DnD5 is now live.
DnD5 attracts new players, retired players, and certainly some 3.5/PF players who want some changes.
The new OGL and DM guild hit Paizo right in the soft spot.
Paizo could not produce material for 5ed, without risk.

True. With the amount of bloat PF has right now combined with 5e release it cant be a great position. And while there are defiantly diehard pathfinder fans, there have been a few or more then a few defections- from PF and 4e hikdoverd. I peaked at an old hang out recently and they have all migrated from various editions like mentioned to 5e.

For all the complaints of WotC rollout and slow release, people have been moving in that direction. It will be an interesting next couple years to see how paizo addresses a new edition.....

Reynard

Legend
Hello?

That was my point. They worked for wotc on that and then went right back to their own game system, poured the money from that into it too.

You realize OotA came out in September, right? Books take a long time. A company like GR can probably handle 1 per year, especially when considering they have their own games to support. I don't think you can assume anythig regarding GR's 5E intentions because they have not rushed another 5E book to press less than 4 months after their last one.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
The situation got reversed. A few years ago Wotc was sad and Paizo happy.
Now Paizo should be concerned.

Paizo is so concerned that they are hiring new staff.

The facts are that 5e just increases the size of the RPG market which actually helps Paizo.

Hello?

That was my point. They worked for wotc on that and then went right back to their own game system, poured the money from that into it too.

The also did SCAG, right? They've been busy working on 5e stuff!

If your point is that they haven't published any of it themselves, that's certainly true.

steppedonad4

First Post
I think there is another lesson from Green Ronin. Notice any new 5e product from them? There isn't any.

Hello?

So you've gone from, "Notice any new product from them?" to an ad hominem and moved right away into resetting your own goal posts.

Excellent work, 4/5.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The folk at Paizo would be concerned about their future, but they'd always be concerned. They'll be seeing what works, what doesn't work, and adjusting their plans accordingly. One thing they're unlikely to do is rush into supporting 5E; their own game system is incredibly valuable, and splitting attention between two systems is very tricky.

Honestly, if they saw a significant drop-off in sales for PF products, I'd say they'd more likely be releasing a streamlined PF2 rather than going with 5E.

There's a lot of reasons to play PF rather than 5E; they might apply to me, but I see the attraction to a system with more options for characters, monsters and stuff!

Cheers!

I think that Paizo have enough traction and fanbase in the community to not have to hitch their wagon to WotC again. So what I think would be more likely to happen is that Paizo come out with a Pathfinder 2E that is basically their own RPG that they've designed from the ground up.

Given their fanbase, it would likely be a crunch-heavy RPG, but they would have complete control of all the rules that way.

With the SRD and OGL, I could see them putting out some 5E adventures so that they can also attract the 5E players that like the Golorian setting.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases