D&D 5E FR "official" timeline? roll of years?

pukunui

Legend
So, it sounds like [MENTION=54629]pukunui[/MENTION] is right, that the official roll of years stops at 1482? And everything thereafter is made up by fans?
That's not really what I meant. Yes, 1482 seems to be the last year with a name in a physical FR product. However, I think you can count all the year names between -700 and 1600 as official, simply because it seems unlikely that WotC would've included unofficial content in their calendar tool back in the 3e days.

designbot

Explorer
The official start year with the release of 5th edition and the beginning of the Adventurer's League in 2014 was 1489 DR. The in-game year currently advances with the real-world year, so in-game it should currently be 1491. So all of the hardcover adventures and all AL modules are set in 1489 or later.

This is probably overthinking things, but:

As far as I know, one of the few published adventures to clearly specify what year it takes place was Princes of the Apocalypse. It was published in April 2015. It says "The adventure is set in 1491 DR, the Year of the Scarlet Witch," and "this year brought an unseasonably warm and stormy spring."

If we assume that April 2015 AD = Tarsakh 1491 DR and time has progressed in sync between our worlds since then, then the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, published in November 2015, would be set in Ukthar 1491, and the exact current date today would be Ches 8, 1492.

(Other adventures are much more vague about the year in which they take place, so this can't be taken too literally, but that would be my best guess.)

Last edited:

Al2O3

Explorer
The novels that tie in to the Rage of Demons storyline are set in 1486 (before the novel "The Herald" from the Sundering), so mixing AL and novels does not work well. At the same time the novels explain some of the things in SCAG, such as the changes to Tymanther between 4e setting and the 5e FR.

My conclusion is that there is no clear official timeline and the current year of whatever late 1480s or really 1490s you find convenient unless something is more specific about when it takes place (in the same way as PotA is specific).

Remove ads