D&D 5E After 2 years the 5E PHB remains one of the best selling books on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Over 2 years have passed since its August release date, and the 5E PHB is currently in the top 60 of books sold on Amazon. All books.

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 8.03.42 PM.png

This represents an increase from the beginning of this year, when the PHBs overall sales rank was around 100.

The DMG and MM have also consistently done well. Right now each is in the top 200 for overall sales.

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 8.14.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 8.14.52 PM.png

These sales figures are consistent with statements by Mike Mearls and others that this has been the best selling edition in decades. Only the original AD&D PHB, which was kept in print for almost 10 years, may have exceeded the 5E PHB in sales so far. And we still have years to go.

This thread brought to you by the destruction of the ENWorld Database. Enjoy.

dagger

Adventurer
Yeah I think the gaming scene is doing well overall, in Austin and the surrounding area, we have tons of game stores. My proof is anecdotal, but I have lived here all my life and I have never seen it like this.

Last edited:

Same here! 5e is my favorite edition in ages, and the growth of the community as a result is pretty awesome.

I've been really happy that 5E is still doing so well. It's definitely my favorite since 2E (maybe favorite of all time), and better sales and a bigger community can only be a good thing.

Sacrosanct

Legend
#21 in teen books is what means the most to me. It means we're getting new players, and not just us old grognards who are playing the game. The youth are our future.

I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Last edited:

happyhermit

Adventurer
On Amazon.ca (the Canadian site) the Player's Handbook is at #6 in Books! I think the price has dropped a tad, likely due to volume, it is sitting at $30.43 CND.

The MM is at #25 and the DMG is at #30 the Starter set is at #37, the DM screen is at #84. So a quick glance through the top 100 shows 5 D&D products in the top 100 and they have been there a long time, pretty amazing.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
#21 in teen books is what means the most to me. It means we're getting new players, and not just us old grognards who are playing the game. The youth are our future.

I don't want to rain on this parade but I don't think that logically follows. The categorization of the book is done by the publisher not by the buyer. WotC considers this book as targeted at teens but that doesn't necessarily mean that teens are buying it (or having it bought for them). The sheer popularity of the book across a large demographic can elevate its rank in the teen category.

Valetudo

Explorer
I don't want to rain on this parade but I don't think that logically follows. The categorization of the book is done by the publisher not by the buyer. WotC considers this book as targeted at teens but that doesn't necessarily mean that teens are buying it (or having it bought for them). The sheer popularity of the book across a large demographic can elevate its rank in the teen category.
While true, I think the massive amount of podcasts and livestreams are really helping bring in some new players. Whether these are teens or older folks dont know, but the young ones do like their online streams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads