D&D 5E After 2 years the 5E PHB remains one of the best selling books on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
While true, I think the massive amount of podcasts and livestreams are really helping bring in some new players. Whether these are teens or older folks dont know, but the young ones do like their online streams.

Yep - it might well be true. But the teen category ranking is not proof by itself is all :)

Sacrosanct

Legend
While true, I think the massive amount of podcasts and livestreams are really helping bring in some new players. Whether these are teens or older folks dont know, but the young ones do like their online streams.

Nearly everyone I've seen in the livestreams, youtube videos (like nerdist), and such are all younger than GenXers (me). So something is working to bring in the younger crowd.

hejtmane

Explorer
#21 in teen books is what means the most to me. It means we're getting new players, and not just us old grognards who are playing the game. The youth are our future.

I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Sorry, couldn't resist...

My current group I am DMing for is all 16-18; my son started it and wanted me to DM we had 1 spot rotate to several guys but generally we have 6 at the table we lost one to college this fall but he picked up a group at College this month. Followed by my son started a D&D club at school last year as of right now the club has just grown to over 14+ people they are having too breakup into two groups to play and may have to go to three groups they may be adding a few more people this next week. I seen more growth in it then when I was playing back in the 80's to 90's

jasper

Rotten DM
Nearly everyone I've seen in the livestreams, youtube videos (like nerdist), and such are all younger than GenXers (me). So something is working to bring in the younger crowd.
I guess I watching the wrong you tubes. I seen GenXers and Baby Boomers.

The various D&D Reddits are also fairly active. Arguably more active than these forums.
According to the results of polls held here and there, they also skew younger than ENWorld. D&D seems to be hooking young people again...

Mercurius

Legend
I think it is an interesting question to ask why. Is it something intrinsic to the edition itself? Is it a matter of right place, right time--that the cultural zeitgeist supports D&D now more than it has in previous years, or at least going back to the 80s? Is it the light publication schedule? Something else? Some combination of the above and more?

eayres33

Explorer
I think there are a couple things that are fueling the rise in D&D. One is that there is no longer a social stygma to playing D&D, or Larping or any other RP type game. This younger generation is more likely to not care what you do in your free time. I’ve actually stopped going to the Seattle Comic Con because it is to crowded, it’s a crazy world.

Second is that 5E is extremely easy to pick up the basics and you can have someone DM almost right out of the box.

Third the explosion of the internent has pushed the game in two way, one if you don’t have friends available near you, you can get a group of gamers from across the country to play online. If however you have friends nearby, it’s an activity that can draw you together in one room, that puts social media/ ultraconnectivenss aside for a few hours.

Visanideth

First Post
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but relative position on Amazon doesn't equal volume. Right now the PHB is 28th in the Teens section, and if you look at what's selling better than it (several individual editions of the same book, an expensive audiobook version of the Hobbit (!) and some titles that I'd charitably simply describe as obscure) you can't help but wonder if that position translates into hundreds or dozens of copies (I suspect the latter).

Again, everything is anedoctal but if you get the chance to investigate the actual volume of Amazon sales, there's people who's been on number 1 of all books with volumes that ended up with 4,000 copies in lifetime sales.

We're talking of really small numbers here.
I wouldn't bat an eye if #25ish on the Teens chart translated in 10 copies a week.

We need a better metric. This is completely immaterial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads