Preferred tone of RPG text

VengerSatanis

High Priest of Kort'thalis Publishing
Assuming we even have a particular writing style, most of us are probably stuck with what we've got. Writers write a certain way because that's just how they write. Of course, self-conscious changes in one's writing style could be made. I, for one, am pretty happy with what I'm stuck with, but am still curious about what my fellow gamers prefer.

So, which of the three do you fancy and why? To put it another way, what does your favorite RPG author sound like?

1) Dry, to the point, matter of fact.
2) Casual, informal, like a conversation.
3) Lyrical prose, whimsical, literary avant-garde

Aside from confused and grammatically terrible writing, can you guys think of a 4th or even 5th category?

VS

p.s. Bonus preference question - terse or verbose?

_________

Venger's old school gaming blog: http://vengersatanis.blogspot.com/

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
#3-terse for me - yes it sounds like a contradiction but it's very possible to be lyrical and-or whimsical and still keep the word count manageable.

Failing that, #2-terse also works.

#1 works only in situations where there's lots of information to give in a very limited space.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I like it to conversational, but serious, with a wry humour. Anything too EXCITABLE!!ones!arentiawesome!!! just turns me off, as does "edgy" for the sake of it.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I like rules to be clear and matter of fact - reference material but flows well and doesn't take itself too seriously. I'd like descriptive material to be evocative - so for setting descriptions I want something that makes me dying to run in that area with plenty of hooks, not an encyclopedia even that would be more efficient or describe more. And sidebars to be informal and chatty - why things are done, opinions, optional rules and why I'd do them, that sort of thing.

13th Age is a good example of an RPG writing style for a core book I like.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
I prefer the text to suit the situation/scenario it is describing.

Lethal combat? Terse and #1 work best of the options.

A duel? #3 works very well.

Conversation? Always #2.

Comedy situation? Make the text itself funny. If I'm laughing my butt off from reading how you wrote up a scenario that's supposed to be in-game funny, you did the job!

But, yeah. I like the text itself to be variable and adaptive.

Also... Never combine terse and #1 for a romance scene. Never.

A

amerigoV

I vote for the style Savage Worlds materials are written in - generally #2 yet terse. The style is easy to read yet does not go on and on. Its kinda like two old guy friends getting together - it takes about 10 minutes to catch up! But much like the conversation, if you get distracted you are going to miss something because its not going to be repeated three more times.

And this really does matter. I was looking at Savage Worlds at the same time I was looking at D&D 4e (which is clearly 1 and verbose). SW screamed "play me". 4e bored me and is on the shelf collecting dust (even if it is a decent system).

aramis erak

Legend
Assuming we even have a particular writing style, most of us are probably stuck with what we've got. Writers write a certain way because that's just how they write. Of course, self-conscious changes in one's writing style could be made. I, for one, am pretty happy with what I'm stuck with, but am still curious about what my fellow gamers prefer.

So, which of the three do you fancy and why? To put it another way, what does your favorite RPG author sound like?

1) Dry, to the point, matter of fact.
2) Casual, informal, like a conversation.
3) Lyrical prose, whimsical, literary avant-garde

Aside from confused and grammatically terrible writing, can you guys think of a 4th or even 5th category?

VS

p.s. Bonus preference question - terse or verbose?

_________

Venger's old school gaming blog: http://vengersatanis.blogspot.com/

My preference is a cleanly divided one:
actual procedural elements in numbered rules, with tables.
Setting elements in conversational tone with omniscient point of view.
VERY limited in-character-voice story-blurbs... either a single chapter to themselves, or a page starting each chapter, with matched illustrations.

The numbering of the rules isn't essential, but I find it great to have. I'm also atypical in my rules preferences.

Jhaelen

First Post
For the bulk of RPG texts I prefer option #1. Option #2 also has a place but should be used sparingly, e.g. to provide background details or tips and suggestions. I cannot think of any good reason for option #3 to be used in an RPG book, unless it's exclusively intended and clearly labeled as an experimental supplement.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I think all can work if done well.

My frustration is usually less to do with tone and verbosity and more to do with lack of organization.

I really like the tone of the recent WoTC 5e APs (Curse of Straud, Storm Kings Thunder) and think they also strike a nice balance in terms of how much detail they give. But I really hate having to flip to the back of the book or open another book to get monster stats.

I also wish that they would color code text for traps, secret doors, etc.

I was running the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan from Tales from the Yawning Portal. It was fun but it could have been much easier to DM if they had better layout for the text describing the more complicated traps and puzzle rooms. The wall of text made it hard to digest and you really have to read it multiple times to be prepared to DM many of the rooms. Once I read through a trap or room and played it out in my head, it was usually fairly easy to understand mechanically and I believe that if the text was broken up differently and rewritten with some headers and such, it would be much easier to digest. I know they want to save on pages, but the dense text layout makes some of these areas difficult to run and require more prep time.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I like rule books to be straight to the point. As player and as DM

You need a "color" page, written as if by an inhabitant, on pg1 to draw interest and give a 'feel' for the game world. Answer "Why should I play this new game?"

When DM'ing, I've used a famous but very long poem to help create atmosphere. Fortunately it was a historical narrative, so there was Action Happening as I read.

So I think that covers all three of your options. A place for everything, and all that.

Remove ads