Preferred tone of RPG text

For my part, I tend to prefer the sections on rules and mechanics to be drier (though examples should have more character), while when it comes to flavor text, I want to see the writer go all-in. I want vivid descriptions and details that hook me in and spark ideas of my own. One of the things I’ve long loved about Shadowrun are the various comments from Shadowrunners sprinkled throughout the books. Those help draw you into the world.

S

Sunseeker

Crunch should be terse and dry. The point is to explain the rules quickly, in plain language, to the most people.

Fluff should fit the material, even down to specific settings. A writeup on Orcs written from the perspective of an orc should read differently than a writeup on Orcs from the perspective of a human.

VengerSatanis

High Priest of Kort'thalis Publishing
Thanks for all the replies, everyone! As I suspected, there was no clear winner - at least, that I could see. Although, terse seemed to beat out verbose.

Experimentation can be awesome, but I couldn't imaging writing a whole RPG book (even a short one) in a writing style that was alien to me. But you never know...

Remove ads