Harassment At PaizoCon 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
In our post-Harvey Weinstein world, more and more people in the various entertainment industries are coming forward with allegations of abuse and harassment, both sexual and psychological. The tabletop gaming industry isn't isolated from this wave of revelation as incidents surface, and will likely continue to surface about professionals, and fans, within the gaming communities.

Stories of harassment within tabletop gaming, at conventions and stores, and even in local gaming groups are nothing new. That is probably the saddest fact of this whole thing: that despite stories being brought to light, not only does harassment continue to happen but the existence of it continues to be denied by some. This denial is one of the factors that allows abuse and harassment to continue within tabletop RPGs.

Allegations of improper behavior at the 2017 PaizoCon by Frog God Games CEO Bill Webb were brought to life by Pathfinder content creator Robert Brookes. Brookes was attending PaizoCon and has written for Paizo and Legendary Games, among others. In an incident involving alcohol, Webb allegedly sexually harassed another guest at the convention and when a staffer attempted to intervene and injury occurred with the staffer.

In a thread about harassment and abuse on gaming forum RPGNet, Frog God Games partner Matt Finch, creator of the Swords & Wizardry retroclone, confirmed that the incident with Webb occurred, and revealed some details about an internal investigation that the partners of Frog God Games conducted into the incident:

"I am Matt Finch, the partner of Frog God Games appointed by the partners to investigate a sexual harassment complaint filed against Mr. Webb at PaizoCon 2017. Mr. Webb was not consulted by the partners on this decision. Due to recent accusations made on Twitter by a third party, I will outline the aspects of the situation to the extent that they do not compromise the confidentiality of the person who filed the report, I will describe the nature of our internal investigation, and will also address the recently-raised tweets by Robert Brookes on his twitter feed. This report will not necessarily be updated; it stands for itself at the time of posting, based on the knowledge I currently have.

"First, it is correct that a complaint was filed with Paizo at PaizoCon against Bill. I was made aware of this by phone on the day it happened (I was not present at the convention). Frog God is aware of the identity of the person who made the complaint, because they spoke to three of our partners at the convention after the event. We have not been invited to share that person’s identity, and although we are not under legal obligation to protect that confidentiality we have elected to respect that person’s desire not to have the event brought into the spotlight.

"Gathering information in a situation like this is necessarily limited due to Paizo’s own confidentiality obligations. To assemble information, I spoke to the three partners who had talked with the person who filed the complaint, and obtained their accounts of what they were told. Secondhand accounts are not perfect, and I had to weigh that against the fact that an attorney making direct contact with someone who has filed such a report can be seen as a threat or intimidation, and weighing those two issues, I chose to rely on a comparison of the conversations between the individual and our partners, plus Paizo’s own resolution of the matter at the time, plus a necessarily-cautious review of Bill’s account. There has been contact between the person who filed the complaint and Frog God partners since the event, and I will provide a screenshot of one such communication with the name redacted. I believe the screenshot provides a great deal of clarification.

"Reducing the event to a level that will maintain confidentiality, my understanding based on my investigation was that Bill Webb took an action and engaged in speech that could be construed as a sexual advance or as gender-dismissive.

"In consequence of this finding, I and another senior partner of the company had a meeting with Mr. Webb about expectations, standards of behavior, and future protocol. We addressed that one’s lack of bad intentions does not excuse problematic behavior.

"Some people have asked that Mr. Webb acknowledge and apologize for the situation. Bill does deeply regret his actions, and understands that they were inappropriate and upsetting. I have told Mr. Webb not to contact the person directly, for the same reason that I have not done so myself: the potential for that contact to appear intimidating or threatening. However, at whatever time the person lets us know that a direct apology from Mr. Webb would be welcomed, that apology will be immediately forthcoming. Mr. Webb is also under instruction not to discuss this matter in public, in case peripheral details were to be inadvertently disclosed that might allow the identification of the person by another party. This is also the reason we chose to have me, as the investigating partner, write the public report, given that a report has become necessary in response to a recent description of the event on Twitter."

We reached out to Webb for comment upon this incident, and we were directed to the RPGNet post by Finch. This is the company's official statement on what happened at PaizoCon. Whether or not there will be further repercussions within Frog God Games due to this incident and Webb's actions remain to be seen.

Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens has released an official statement on the incident on the Paizo forums. When EN World reached out to Paizo for official comment, we were directed to this statement:

"My name is Lisa Stevens and I am the CEO and owner of Paizo Inc. Events of the past few weeks have compelled me to make this statement.

"My company will never condone any sexual harassment or assault against any of our employees, male or female. We will never condone any sexual harassment or assault against any of our customers on paizo.com or at sanctioned organized play activities. Whenever I hear any allegations of sexual harassment or assault related to Paizo’s activities, I always immediately drop whatever I'm doing and I make getting to the bottom of these issues my top priority. We have banned people from paizo.com. We have banned people from participating in our organized play activities. We have stopped doing business with individuals. And we will continue to do so.
"As a woman and a survivor of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and rape, I know what it is like to be on the receiving end of these attacks. I know what it is like to feel the shame, the terror, how it changes your life forever. And because of this, I will never stand for my company to condone this behavior.

"Paizo’s employees are encouraged to come forward with any allegations of sexual harassment or assault and let a manager know as soon as possible. If criminal activities have taken place, they are encouraged to report it to the police and take legal action against the perpetrator. We have asked our employees to not engage in explosive and angry dialogue on paizo.com. We want our website to be a place where our customers feel safe and among friends. If there is problem on paizo.com, then our community team will handle it and, where appropriate, ban the perpetrator.

"In closing, you have my word that I have zero tolerance for sexual harassment and assault, and the same is true of Paizo. Please be aware that we treat these issues with tremendous sensitivity, and only disclose the specifics and resolutions of any such incidents on a need-to-know basis, even within Paizo or with our legal counsel. We do not and will not discuss these matters publicly. Every instance that I am aware of has been thoroughly investigated, and appropriate actions have been taken or are in the process of being taken. You have my word on this."

Unrelated to the PaizoCon incident, Brookes also revealed an incident of harassment within the Pathfinder Society organized play program. When a volunteer staffer reported this incident, their supervisor informed them that an NDA they had signed to be part of the program would not allow her to discuss this incident. Paizo has not officially commented on this incident or commented on whether or not there is an investigation into it.

If tabletop role-playing games are truly going to be an inclusive, we have to be better about not just reporting incidents of abuse and harassment but being dedicated to creating spaces that are safe and free of harassment of our fellow gamers. We also need to shine a spotlight onto the incidents of harassment that occur, it is the responsibility of journalists, bloggers and gamers to do this and let people know that their actions will come to light and that they will be held responsible. It is also important to not just talk about those parts of the gaming communities that we don't agree with, but to also bring to light the improper actions of those companies and communities with whom we do agree, because unless every act of harassment is revealed there will be no change within our communities.

Remember that EN World is an inclusive community.
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Anthro78

Explorer
I love threads like this, because it allows me to add names to a list I keep of people whose opinions I can safely classify as worthy of no consideration at all.

If we don't talk about the stupid, terrible things that people do and why they're unacceptable, then we strengthen those who act like churlish numbwits and demean those who were actually harmed by the behavior. Paizo's response troubles me, mainly because it makes me question whether this behavior is the sort of thing I want to support with my hard-earned money. I really expected better of them and hope they are sincere in taking steps to be better. If they're not, then I'm afraid they're going to lose my business.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
The same is true here. If we don't shoot for the moon, I can guarantee you we'll never reach it.

Yes and on the other hand we have already got to the moon. Now it is just quibbling about the number of people that get there.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Yes and on the other hand we have already got to the moon. Now it is just quibbling about the number of people that get there.

Just to torture the analogy further, when you get to the moon, you don't stop. You try to make it easier, and you learn about the moon.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I didn’t really follow all the strange analogies. Is somebody suggesting we’ve “reached the moon” in terms of dealing with harassment in our community? We haven’t. We’re not even the Wright Brothers yet. We’re still shooting for the moon.

Nikchick

Explorer
I have been weighing my response to this comment section since yesterday because first, I was really angry at some of the horrible replies a few people felt were appropriate...but Morrus moderates this stuff well and doesn't need me coming in and mixing it up. And several people have responded with much more clarity, compassion, and common sense, which makes me wonder if my reply is needed.

After stewing on it a bit, I think I still have a few moments of perspective that could be useful, so here goes.

I am a woman in the game business so these issues are more than a matter of individual bad-actors being gross in my hobby. This is my livelihood. This is my workplace environment, for me personally and for those who do work for the company I co-own. I have been in this business for 28 years now and one of the benefits of my longevity is that I know a lot of other game pros. I have relationships with these people going back decades at this point. I am also in a position of power that comes from that perseverence and the status of the company I have been managing for the last 17 years. In short, schmucks and creepers don't try that behavior with me or, generally, even in my vicinity because I have more power than they do and they rightly anticipate that I am not someone they can bully, belittle, or harass and come out unscathed.

Over the course of my career in games, I have been active in our professional organizations (such as they are). I served on the board of the Game Manufacturers Association, whose two most consistent and influentual benefits were (and continue to be) putting on the GAMA Trade Show (focused on business to business communications between industry professionals) and the Origins Game Expo (consumer-facing, tabletop gaming convention with a significant attendance of professionals as well as fans, players, and hobbyists). For the last several years I have also been a volunteer on the advisory committee for one of the significant programming tracks at GenCon where professionals and experts in the various categories of tabletop gaming and adjacent interests (such as podcasting, hosting smaller regional conventions and games days, working with crossover media material and more) are invited to participate as Featured Presenters on a curated track of programming (think Ted Talks for Gamers). My years of involvement with organizations specifically concerned with conventions and convention programming, I think I have a somewhat more informed understanding about issues such as attendee safety, volunteer agreements, and liability (both in the legal sense and in the social responsibility sense, which have different standards).

In discussing Bill Webb's behavior in this thread I have seen a few people willing to offer him the "but he was drunk and people do :):):):) sometimes when they're drunk..." excuse. This excuse doesn't fly for reasons others have already elaborated upon but I will tell you SPECIFICALLY why it cannot be used to soften the criticism against Bill in particular. Bill is not an occasional drunk. He is a routine, PROUD heavy-drinker. Inviting him, oo in the case of PaizoCon merely allowing him, to participate in your convention means not that he "might" be drunk but that he WILL be drunk and he's already shown that he cannot be trusted to behave according to expected standards when drunk.

This is not even remotely "insider information". Take a look at this screenshot of what appeared on the Frog God Games social media page recently, which was posted after the subject of Bill's behavior at PaizoCon crossed into being talked about openly instead of being debated behind the scenes:

View attachment 90225

The timing of that post? Not a coincidence, folks. The "mightiest king of the cons" is proud of his drinking prowess and he's going to bring it, literally, to "any convention".

That is far more than enough to make responsible convention organizers take note and weigh the potential liabilites of allowing this person to participate. It's *plenty* for other professionals to decide that "he's always been nice to me" doesn't jusitfy giving this person cover for his behavior out in the world. Folks less inclined than BJ Hensley to try to make peace and be "fair" to other parties might look at the timing and content of that posting and come to the conclusion that the "mightiest king of the cons" was, in fact, doubling down on his behavior and all but daring people to challenge him. I'm NEVER going to dictate to BJ what she should or should not do in response to her own experience but any self-righteous keyboard warrior who wants to engage in baseless speculation from the safety of their distant basement about what a victim of someone else's inappropriate behavior "SHOULD" do? You don't get a say. Sorry, I know that's a blow to your ego, especially when you're convinced you're being so rational and "fair" in your assessment but that little scenario is all in your head and this IS NOT ABOUT YOU, CHUM. And if you want to fight about it you can fight me and leave BJ out of it. I am placing myself in the path of every cretin who thinks they're entitled to take shots at the *victims* of harassment, or to declare what's "enough" harm. You will go through me and those like me before we give space to people who cannot be trusted to behave like civilized adults and the supporters who prioritize bad actors above the people they hurt.

Nicole Lindroos

redrick

First Post
I own a number of Frog God products, and have particularly enjoyed playing and reading Matt Finch's adventures, but I won't be buying from them anymore.

Glad to see stories like this covered here. The headline was very kind to Mr. Webb. "Harassment at PaizoCon 2017" could easily have read "Bill Webb, CEO of Frog God Games, Accused of Sexual Harassment".

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I own a number of Frog God products, and have particularly enjoyed playing and reading Matt Finch's adventures, but I won't be buying from them anymore.

Glad to see stories like this covered here. The headline was very kind to Mr. Webb. "Harassment at PaizoCon 2017" could easily have read "Bill Webb, CEO of Frog God Games, Accused of Sexual Harassment".

Yeah me too. I have a bunch of Frog God Games content including 3 of thier huge Hardcover books. I wont be buying anything from them any more. The only power a consumer has is to vote with thier dollars and I'm voting with mine. And if anyone asks me I'll be sure to tell them why.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Probably in a vacuum, this would suffice. But there's the other NDA allegation, Price's allegation that she was asked to keep quiet on harassment while employed there, plus the child abuse demon who gives his followers magic child abuse powers that mirror how real-world abusers operate.

Do you want to change the Book of the Damned to the Book of the Naughty? In a game designed around killing things for their stuff?

S

Sunseeker

To continue to torture my own analogy: and then we stopped. We set up our flag and called it a day. THAT is what is unacceptable. We haven't continuted to shoot for the moon. We got there, walked around once, put up our flag and called it good enough. That's not good enough.

So to bring this back to human race relations? We're not even close. Worse than that, a lot of people have stopped trying and that's the problem. D&D is trying, even if it's two steps forward, one step back every time they do, it's still trying to be better.

The idea that everything is hunky-dory is so incredibly privileged, white and male-centric that you made me put all those words in a post just to say it.

evilref

Explorer
Do you want to change the Book of the Damned to the Book of the Naughty? In a game designed around killing things for their stuff?

I wasn't going to post here, because i've not been around enworld for years, but this is patently, utterly ludicrous.

I can only assume you've not read it, or you want to make some sort of 'har har, edgy' argument.

The text and specifically the rules are mechanically incentivised child abuse. You become better at child abuse the more of it you do. And more charismatic, because of course you do.

This wasn't something they had to do, no one forced them into writing this, no one forced them into publishing it, no one forced them to give:

Unnatural Lust: Force the victim to initiate - they started it, they wanted it
Mind Wipe: Wipe their memory of the event
Veil: Make them look like your perfect victim.

These are powers deliberately chosen (and what the heck was Unnatural Lust doing in the game in the first place) to directly, magically mimic what real child abusers do. I know, personally.

Furthermore, none of us have been killed by orcs, but people in our communities have been abused. Trivialising it as you do is insulting and utterly crass. And I get that you don't care, because you just want to be dismissive and cool, but there are people who have quite genuinely experienced upset and reminder of what happend to them because of how Paizo did it.

And Paizo's CCO, Erik Mona, has admitted it was a mistake, an error in judgement. Which is great, and a step, but a long way to go.

But you know, keep trivialising child abuse, because who cares, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases