• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dragon #1 GenCon Update

Mercule

Adventurer
I just stumbled across a digital copy of Dragon #1 and it contains an article on GenCon 1976. I thought I post a couple excerpts, just for a sense of scale:

This year's GenCon promises to be the biggest and best ever, with over $450 in prizes, not to mention numerous trophies, ribbon, plaques, cups, etc.
The slate contains no less than 44 tournaments and seminars, running the gamut of boardgames, miniatures and role-playing games. The mammoth D & D miniatures game is covered elsewhere in this issue, but herewith is a listing of some of the more unusual events:
There will be seminars by Fritz Leiber on S & S, and by MAR Barker on EPT/Tekumel, as well as a D & D seminar by Gygax, Arneson and Kuntz.

I found it interesting that Fritz Leiber was a guest. Also that D&D was referred to as a "miniatures game" -- or had an event run as a minis game.

Introduced in this issue:
* Bulette (a.k.a. Landshark) monster
* Phantasmal Killer illusionist spell

The article on the "Dungeon!" board game (yes, really) also digs into questions about how the hobbit and thief characters work.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I always wondered if the 'landshark' idea came from Saturday Night Live where the shark knocks on the door and eats people.
I have, too. And I seriously would:D

But aside from the landshark aspect, The bulette (like the rust monster, and the owlbear) started its life off as cheap plastic toys from Hong Kong that Gygax found at a dimestore.

Remove ads