The Journey To...North America, Part One

So here we are on the shores of my home, the continent of North America where I want to talk about the indigenous people here. As this series of articles has gone on, it has grown into more than a just a collection of alternative myths that you or I can utilize in our campaigns. As more than a few people have pointed out, these articles only scratch the tip of the iceberg in terms of getting to know people around the world, their personal mythologies, and how we might respectfully represent them in role playing games. We do our best to find good sources; it has been quite an education to be honest.

Before we get too deeply into the people of North America, I want to talk about the world these early Americans migrated through and eventually settled. I think talking about the geography and weather of their world can help us understand their lives better, to find interesting portions of the lives and allow us as gamers to respectfully approximate a world where life itself was an adventure. After which, we will talk about some of the earliest folk to make North America their home.

It is the Later Pleistocene epoch where we find humans coming to the Americas. The world was a much different place, with considerably lower temperatures and ice sheets covering large portions of the land. Much of the Earth's water was in the form of ice and this means less precipitation. Cooler seasons mean less snow melt and subsequent advancement of the glaciers. Many fauna of the period, like the mammoth, the giant sloth, and the smilodon were still around. However, these populations were on the decline. Scientists are still debating the reasons for the mass die off of these species.

There is some debate over exactly the first humans migrants from Asia made their way to the Americas. Conventional thinking has the date at approximately14,000 B.C.E. However, some more recent science suggest it may have been as early as 24,00 B.C.E. Early Americans were hunter gatherers, going after big game to provide food and materials for their existence as well as gathering plants to supplement their hunting. As with some theories, there is some debate about this. Generally these people are known as Paleo Indians and they are thought to have been a nomadic folk. They traveled in small family units that are known as bands. Of these groups the one that has caught the most attention are the Clovis People.

I am not qualified to assess whether the Clovis people were or were not the first or dominant culture in the Americas and there is some debate over this topic. The debate includes not only North America but the Americas in general. However, there is no doubt the Clovis people did exist and had an impact on developing American cultures.

Clovis people were around as a culture for about 400 years. They used a characteristic "Clovis Point" to hunt game, both big and small. These Clovis Points are spread over a wide area in the Americas, which suggests that the people themselves settled in a large area. There is some evidence that the Clovis People are direct ancestors of the more familiar Indigenous peoples who live in the Americas today. As with everything, the science is ongoing and some of these theories will change in time.

Using myth and history to create a game or campaign is a long standing tradition in the RPG community. Primarily those myths and histories focus on societies that have a well developed society and technology. After all the sword is a powerful symbol and metaphor, such that some characters in certain games are not trained or even not allowed to use it. To tackle a subject matter where technology and accepted symbolism are not in play could be a tough sell.

I don't agree though. Players like to play and there are a plethora of potential players who might like to see their own history made part of an role-playing game, as opposed to playing through the history of others. The migrations of the first Americans is a fantastic idea for play. The exciting life of the hunter, chasing dangerous prey, would certainly excite players. However, I think there is equal merit in following the earliest gatherers as well, as they seek food for their people. Certainly there was danger and conflict in those daily quests with a cold climate and dangerous animals complicating matters. The story potential is unlimited.

Next time we move into the more modern tribes and people we are more familiar with.

​contributed by Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I'd be fascinated if somebody could come up with an "As The Glaciers Melt" campaign for some common rules system where the weather and flora / fauna change from year to year.

Grandfather to grandchildren: "When I was your age, the Big Ice smothered those hills over there and we would be standing on frozen-hard ground, never warm enough all year to thaw. This lake filled in from meltwater and floods the year my brother moved away northeast; now you can even catch fish big enough to be worth eating. And these trees! I'd only seen 'em this tall south of the Broad River."

The whole why of it is more interesting than the fact that they got here somehow. Using the classic land bridge theory, why would the ancient peoples of a probably frozen northeastern Asia travel across a probably frozen land bridge into a probably frozen northwestern North America? I am too tired right now to double check the time frame for that or to read through the links, so I may be remembering that part wrong and it was not during an Ice Age for the time frame initial traveling would have happened.

Cool - thanks for this article.

Amerindian-themed inspirations in the D&D Multiverse:

• Anchorome continent of Forgotten Realms
  • In Mystara: Atruaghin Clans, Red Orcs, Yazi goblinoids
  • Rovers/Arapahi of Greyhawk (like Arapaho)
  • Partial inspiration for Plains Barbarians of Krynn
  • AD&D 1E Amerindian pantheon
  • DRAGON #205 magazine article for AD&D 2E: "Lands of the People", which had a suggested placement in Oerth and Toril. As shown on my composite map, It fits very well on the canonical outline map of Anchorome's "Unknown Lands" north of Maztica.

Any others?

From my D&D Culture Books proposal. Turtle Island Adventures?

Last edited by a moderator:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
why would the ancient peoples of a probably frozen northeastern Asia travel across a probably frozen land bridge into a probably frozen northwestern North America?
Because there was empty space opening up that looked like more of what we already know, and the kids had to find their own food &c somewhere, and if the tribe just follows along as the animals explore the area...

I may have the map rotated a bit, but Siberian Eskimo moving into Alaska and then Yukon aren't moving south into strange ecosystems but due east. They should find more tundra, a bit soggy maybe.

agrayday

Explorer
FYI:

"The word "Eskimo" derives from phrases that Algonquin tribes used for their northern neighbors. The Inuit and Yupik peoples generally do not use it to refer to themselves, and the governments in Canada and Greenland have ceased using it in official documents."

I know it still in use in USA; but generally out of respect for the people who actually identify with a different name vs what the guy down the road calls them, its best not to use "Eskimo".

i would offer if roleplaying natives, "folk beliefs" would be a good "random perk" as they make up a whole part of the culture and identity of native peoples.

Slit518

Adventurer
As being 1/8th Black Foot, I would enjoy if a campaign setting explored a "New World" feel, something akin to the indigenous people of North/South America before the mass migration of Spanish, English, French, etc... settlers.

You mentioned the Clovis people, but take a look at the Solutreans as well. They too were thought to be some of the earliest people to come onto these lands.

Also, prominent Native American culture/myths are a wealth of ideas as well. Skinwalkers, giants from the mountains, tribal ghost dances, etc...

I learned about a tradition in college many years ago, and I can't seem to find any information on it. I believe it was called The North American Ghost Dance. What would happen is the candidate would be hoisted up on a pole, and impaled (through a non-vital area). They were left to hang there, while the rest of the tribe danced around ceremoniously, celebrating the event to come. The purpose of the trial/dance was to show the resilience in the candidate, who was supposed to draw power from the nearby dancing members of it's tribe. The candidate was then suppose to pull themself up off the pole, and join the tribe in finishing the dance.

I've always been fascinated about this story, but I can not find anymore information on it since college.

default_entry

First Post
As being 1/8th Black Foot, I would enjoy if a campaign setting explored a "New World" feel, something akin to the indigenous people of North/South America before the mass migration of Spanish, English, French, etc... settlers.

You mentioned the Clovis people, but take a look at the Solutreans as well. They too were thought to be some of the earliest people to come onto these lands.

Also, prominent Native American culture/myths are a wealth of ideas as well. Skinwalkers, giants from the mountains, tribal ghost dances, etc...

I learned about a tradition in college many years ago, and I can't seem to find any information on it. I believe it was called The North American Ghost Dance. What would happen is the candidate would be hoisted up on a pole, and impaled (through a non-vital area). They were left to hang there, while the rest of the tribe danced around ceremoniously, celebrating the event to come. The purpose of the trial/dance was to show the resilience in the candidate, who was supposed to draw power from the nearby dancing members of it's tribe. The candidate was then suppose to pull themself up off the pole, and join the tribe in finishing the dance.

I've always been fascinated about this story, but I can not find anymore information on it since college.

Didn't someone's RPG supplement literally blow up a few months ago over using native american myth with the same flexibility we use with European myth? Thunder Plains or something?

Or am I misunderstanding the problem with that supplement? I never actually used the system or got the book(s) in question.

Slit518

Adventurer
Didn't someone's RPG supplement literally blow up a few months ago over using native american myth with the same flexibility we use with European myth? Thunder Plains or something?

Or am I misunderstanding the problem with that supplement? I never actually used the system or got the book(s) in question.

I wouldn't know, I don't follow many tabletop RPGs. It's called Thunder Plains?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases