The Journey To...North America, Part One

So here we are on the shores of my home, the continent of North America where I want to talk about the indigenous people here. As this series of articles has gone on, it has grown into more than a just a collection of alternative myths that you or I can utilize in our campaigns. As more than a few people have pointed out, these articles only scratch the tip of the iceberg in terms of getting to know people around the world, their personal mythologies, and how we might respectfully represent them in role playing games. We do our best to find good sources; it has been quite an education to be honest.

So here we are on the shores of my home, the continent of North America where I want to talk about the indigenous people here. As this series of articles has gone on, it has grown into more than a just a collection of alternative myths that you or I can utilize in our campaigns. As more than a few people have pointed out, these articles only scratch the tip of the iceberg in terms of getting to know people around the world, their personal mythologies, and how we might respectfully represent them in role playing games. We do our best to find good sources; it has been quite an education to be honest.

Before we get too deeply into the people of North America, I want to talk about the world these early Americans migrated through and eventually settled. I think talking about the geography and weather of their world can help us understand their lives better, to find interesting portions of the lives and allow us as gamers to respectfully approximate a world where life itself was an adventure. After which, we will talk about some of the earliest folk to make North America their home.

It is the Later Pleistocene epoch where we find humans coming to the Americas. The world was a much different place, with considerably lower temperatures and ice sheets covering large portions of the land. Much of the Earth's water was in the form of ice and this means less precipitation. Cooler seasons mean less snow melt and subsequent advancement of the glaciers. Many fauna of the period, like the mammoth, the giant sloth, and the smilodon were still around. However, these populations were on the decline. Scientists are still debating the reasons for the mass die off of these species.

There is some debate over exactly the first humans migrants from Asia made their way to the Americas. Conventional thinking has the date at approximately14,000 B.C.E. However, some more recent science suggest it may have been as early as 24,00 B.C.E. Early Americans were hunter gatherers, going after big game to provide food and materials for their existence as well as gathering plants to supplement their hunting. As with some theories, there is some debate about this. Generally these people are known as Paleo Indians and they are thought to have been a nomadic folk. They traveled in small family units that are known as bands. Of these groups the one that has caught the most attention are the Clovis People.

I am not qualified to assess whether the Clovis people were or were not the first or dominant culture in the Americas and there is some debate over this topic. The debate includes not only North America but the Americas in general. However, there is no doubt the Clovis people did exist and had an impact on developing American cultures.

Clovis people were around as a culture for about 400 years. They used a characteristic "Clovis Point" to hunt game, both big and small. These Clovis Points are spread over a wide area in the Americas, which suggests that the people themselves settled in a large area. There is some evidence that the Clovis People are direct ancestors of the more familiar Indigenous peoples who live in the Americas today. As with everything, the science is ongoing and some of these theories will change in time.

Using myth and history to create a game or campaign is a long standing tradition in the RPG community. Primarily those myths and histories focus on societies that have a well developed society and technology. After all the sword is a powerful symbol and metaphor, such that some characters in certain games are not trained or even not allowed to use it. To tackle a subject matter where technology and accepted symbolism are not in play could be a tough sell.

I don't agree though. Players like to play and there are a plethora of potential players who might like to see their own history made part of an role-playing game, as opposed to playing through the history of others. The migrations of the first Americans is a fantastic idea for play. The exciting life of the hunter, chasing dangerous prey, would certainly excite players. However, I think there is equal merit in following the earliest gatherers as well, as they seek food for their people. Certainly there was danger and conflict in those daily quests with a cold climate and dangerous animals complicating matters. The story potential is unlimited.

Next time we move into the more modern tribes and people we are more familiar with.

​contributed by Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Actually, the land bridge theory was pretty much thrown out this year, as we recently learned evidence of people being here before Beringia was opened.
This has pushed the scientific community toward what the indigenous peoples have been saying all along: the first peoples came to the land by boats out of the mists of time. There may not be stories that predate the arrival in North America, but the stories of coming by boat were always dismissed for no good reason, and now we have evidence that people had to come by boat because Beringia was blocked off by glacier when people arrived.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Actually, the land bridge theory was pretty much thrown out this year, as we recently learned evidence of people being here before Beringia was opened.
This has pushed the scientific community toward what the indigenous peoples have been saying all along: the first peoples came to the land by boats out of the mists of time. There may not be stories that predate the arrival in North America, but the stories of coming by boat were always dismissed for no good reason, and now we have evidence that people had to come by boat because Beringia was blocked off by glacier when people arrived.

Interesting. Any info about where the boats originated from? That would put the indigenous people of North America in the same boat (no pun intended) as Polynesians and indigenous Australians. Or are we talking like travelling by boat along and around the Beringia land bridge?

Gorath99

Explorer
I learned about a tradition in college many years ago, and I can't seem to find any information on it. I believe it was called The North American Ghost Dance. What would happen is the candidate would be hoisted up on a pole, and impaled (through a non-vital area). They were left to hang there, while the rest of the tribe danced around ceremoniously, celebrating the event to come. The purpose of the trial/dance was to show the resilience in the candidate, who was supposed to draw power from the nearby dancing members of it's tribe. The candidate was then suppose to pull themself up off the pole, and join the tribe in finishing the dance.

I've always been fascinated about this story, but I can not find anymore information on it since college.
Sounds a lot like the Sun Dance to me. Could that be what you're thinking of?

Dire Bare

Legend
Interesting. Any info about where the boats originated from? That would put the indigenous people of North America in the same boat (no pun intended) as Polynesians and indigenous Australians. Or are we talking like travelling by boat along and around the Beringia land bridge?

It's been a while since I've studied it, so theories may have been updated and/or my memory might have gone soft . . . but I believe the idea is that the original immigrants to North America traveled along the Alaskan and Canadian coastline from Asia, essentially the same route as the land-bridge theory, but coastal travel rather than overland travel.

In a fantasy version of aboriginal America, you could have the ancestors come either way, both routes, or something more fantastical inspired from myth.

SMHWorlds

Adventurer
It's been a while since I've studied it, so theories may have been updated and/or my memory might have gone soft . . . but I believe the idea is that the original immigrants to North America traveled along the Alaskan and Canadian coastline from Asia, essentially the same route as the land-bridge theory, but coastal travel rather than overland travel.

In a fantasy version of aboriginal America, you could have the ancestors come either way, both routes, or something more fantastical inspired from myth.

I know one of the articles I read talked about that, though not sure if it is one of the ones I used or not. I think it is difficult to rule anything out at this point, but certainly ideas we had even just twenty years ago are being re-examined and new evidence is popping up all the time. I suspect even more will change in the coming years.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)

Not quite the same boat. Different wave of migration through Asia. People made it to Australia by 45 KYA. What we're learning is that at the times when we thought people were walking across Beringia, it wasn't walkable – that was always around 12.6 KYA. Now we have evidencde that the Clovis culture was there 13 KYA and Pre-Clovis Peoples arrived 14.7 KYA or even earlier (possibly even as early as as 18 KYA).

This is long after the journey to Australia, but still long before the Great Polynesian Migrations, which happened 8 KYA from South China to Taiwan, then around 3 KYA from there to the western edges of Micronesia and Melanesia, and then didn't pick back up again until around 1.3 KYA, at which point they populated all of the Pacific Ocean.

By the way, genetic studies also tell us that there were two groups that made the journey into North America – a group of Eurasians and a group of Polynesian/Australasians, that make up the genetic stock of indigenous North Americans. So yeah, there's a connection with the Polynesians, but not because this was part of the same incredible Wayfinder journey. Rather, this was travelling by boats along the coasts of Siberia and Alaska, and some of those who came to make that journey had travelled from the Pacific islands to join with the travellers who had come from inland Russia.

Finally, what this study also tells us is that the Clovis Culture, which arrived in northwestern Canada around 13 KYA, probably came up from the south, shooting off from Pre-Clovis Culture that arrived south of the glaciers by boat, rather than as a separate migration of peoples. That conforms with 2015's study that suggests that all peoples came at the same time.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/08/ancient-dna-suggests-first-americans-sidestepped-glaciers

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads